Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 06:51 PM

35 posts, read 84,473 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am 22 years old. Never was baptized, which is funny b/c I am Italian. But religion was nvr important to my parents even though they are catholic. Anyways, I was thinking about this for 2 reasons. 1.) i do want to get married in a catholic church someday and 2.) My girlfriend (who I will marry in the near future)'s little sister wants me to be her Godfather (she is 17), because she is doing her communion (I think this is the correct word)? I know nothing of religion and I consider becoming her Godfather a great honor. So how do I become a catholic? Do i need to become catholic in order to be her godfather? Also, I have nothing againist religion, but I will never be a practicing catholic, just a personal issue. I have heard that I have to go through a year long "class" program at a church. Is there any other way I can do this as short as possible? Tell me!!! Has anyone been in my position on here?

Last edited by baller31; 03-22-2011 at 07:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 07:02 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,865,092 times
Why would you want to get married in a Catholic Church if by your own admission Catholicism means nothing to you ?

Old 03-22-2011, 07:18 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Godfathers are for the baptism, not the communion. To be a godparent, you need proof that you are a member of a parish and proof that you have been baptized and made confirmation. (became an adult in the church). i.e. letter from the parish where you are a member or parish/diocese where you were confirmed.

But this will not be necessary in your case.... since communion does not require Godparents.

There are RCIA (google it) programs in the parishes that you can investigate. You will need to make your confirmation to be married in a Catholic church. I am assuming your gf is already a Catholic? And this is why you want to get married in a catholic church? Or will she have to make her sacraments as well?

It takes a while to do this so get moving if you need to do this. Also, prior to a catholic marriage, you will need to take pre-Cannan classes. I suggest talking to your parish priest for all this information. They will send you in the right direction. Good luck!!

Old 03-22-2011, 07:28 PM

104 posts, read 207,975 times
Perfect timing for the Catholic Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA)!

http://www.usccb.org/lent/rcia.shtml

Your local parish can provide more details-

http://www.masstimes.org/

All are welcome!

Old 03-22-2011, 07:41 PM

912 posts, read 826,832 times
In the Sacrament Of Confirmation a "sponsor" is required. The title sponsor and godparent are understood to mean one in the same role...

There is a unity in the two Sacraments, Baptism and...Confirmation...ussually 13-15 yrs of age a baptised Catholic makes an adult affirmation of faith.
...Confirmation
Through the Sacrament of Confirmation, the Holy Spirit is bestowed upon the baptized in order to make them more perfect soldiers of Christ.

The sponsors or Godfathers role in Confirmation is to take careful notice that the person confirmed...(this being the younger sister if I read correctly) behaves as a true witness of Christ and faithfully adheres to the guidelines which are inherent in this sacrament. This responcibility is the Godfathers role in Confirmation..

From what I understand the Godfather in Confirmation must be a practicing Catholic,(and I'm basically positive) with active participation in the Sacrements...Communion ect.

Communication is good in these area's with someone you are very fond of & thinking towards a future . That way understanding prevents possible up-sets down the road.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Godfathers are for the baptism, not the communion. To be a godparent, you need proof that you are a member of a parish and proof that you have been baptized and made confirmation. (became an adult in the church). i.e. letter from the parish where you are a member or parish/diocese where you were confirmed.

But this will not be necessary in your case.... since communion does not require Godparents.

There are RCIA (google it) programs in the parishes that you can investigate. You will need to make your confirmation to be married in a Catholic church. I am assuming your gf is already a Catholic? And this is why you want to get married in a catholic church? Or will she have to make her sacraments as well?

It takes a while to do this so get moving if you need to do this. Also, prior to a catholic marriage, you will need to take pre-Cannan classes. I suggest talking to your parish priest for all this information. They will send you in the right direction. Good luck!!
her sis is 17 years old. I don't know what my part will be to her.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:02 PM

104 posts, read 207,975 times
In most parishes there are parishioners that volunteer to be sponsors, so if you don’t already know someone, then just ask at the parish office. There are a few things to learn and some memorization, but it’s not all that difficult. There are hundreds of millions of Catholics that have done it! Good luck

Old 03-22-2011, 08:46 PM

124 posts, read 166,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baller31 View Post
Hello,
I am 22 years old. Never was baptized, which is funny b/c I am Italian. But religion was nvr important to my parents even though they are catholic. Anyways, I was thinking about this for 2 reasons. 1.) i do want to get married in a catholic church someday and 2.) My girlfriend (who I will marry in the near future)'s little sister wants me to be her Godfather (she is 17), because she is doing her communion (I think this is the correct word)? I know nothing of religion and I consider becoming her Godfather a great honor. So how do I become a catholic? Do i need to become catholic in order to be her godfather? Also, I have nothing againist religion, but I will never be a practicing catholic, just a personal issue. I have heard that I have to go through a year long "class" program at a church. Is there any other way I can do this as short as possible? Tell me!!! Has anyone been in my position on here?
It's far more important to be a Christian than a Catholic - and the two are not necessarily the same thing.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by restoner View Post
In most parishes there are parishioners that volunteer to be sponsors, so if you don’t already know someone, then just ask at the parish office. There are a few things to learn and some memorization, but it’s not all that difficult. There are hundreds of millions of Catholics that have done it! Good luck
To he honest, I don't know what you just said! lol. Sorry, I want to do this for her (be her sponsor) but I don't want to go through this whole process. I sthere any other way to do this?

Old 03-23-2011, 01:08 AM

912 posts, read 826,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baller31 View Post
To he honest, I don't know what you just said! lol. Sorry, I want to do this for her (be her sponsor) but I don't want to go through this whole process. I sthere any other way to do this?
- Youv'e already got the best advice, if u want to be involved in this the best thing to do is go talk to the Priest of the Church. He may have some idea's that myself or others are not aware of. Don't forget, I'm sure this has happened before with other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality