Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 01:44 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,608 times

Advertisements

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
But it's not really possible for an omnipotent being to exist, not in the normal meaning of the word "possible". Because for an omnipotent being to exist, everything we know about physics would have to be untrue. That is enough for you to safely conclude it's not possible for an omnipotent being to exist.
You don't get what an omnipotent being is. Omnipotent would mean that it is everything, and it created everything. That means that physics is true, but so is the omnipotent being.

Quote:
It is more likely that an invisible elephant is in your living room than it is that there an omnipotent being exists. Because an invisible elephant would only violate some of the known rules of physics. An omnipotent being would violate every single one of them.
How so?

Quote:
So there is only a metaphysical possibility that omnipotent exists, meaning by logic alone you can't 100% exclude the possibility. But by any rational measure, in the normal meaning of the word "possible", it's not possible for an omnipotent being to exist.
And what is this normal meaning of the word possible?

You're "logic" lacks logic. Your statements are vague and don't explain anything. Please if you are going to claim stuff like this, explain in depth.
I could write a book on how a Deity, God, or Source energy is the reason for everything we have today including, physics, science, laws of nature, and so forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Possibility to me falls within the logical. That is why there are plenty of things to me that are not possible. However, if you so completely reject the idea that it is possible for anything to exist outside of your own possible perception, then you of course cannot imagine something that necessarily does. If that is what you think, it's kind of hard to discuss it.
Is it possible for someone to survive a fall from an airplane? Is it possible for someone to come back to life?

Old 04-03-2011, 01:56 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Pean View Post
You have no compassion for God.The God I know talks to me. He performs miracles for me. He is my friend, and he helps me in very incredible ways. He is an omnisient being who comes out of compassion itself. He loves me like a father and a brother. He loves me like a priest would love a child screaming for help.
What are you talking about? Can you read? I wasn't even offending Christianity... I'm Christian. I'm talking about the fanatics that represent Christians in a negative manner... You keep talking about compassion when you have none. Troll somewhere else.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:14 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
I don't know where you live, but I have never met a family that is very religious that is racist. I have met racists, most claim not to be religious. My cousins are what I consider hardcore Christians. They don't preach to people outside their church. They keep their beliefs for the most part in their home and church. Sure, they do things with the church around town and even go on missions to other countries and build wells and stuff like that. They are far from being racists.

Maybe in the bible belt, but the bible belt is a country of its own. I guess when it comes to religion, your geographical location matters.
DoH, check out my monker here, which is definitely in the buy bull belt, and I could introduce you to any number of bible beating racists, probably even recommend a few churches where you could go hear it preached.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:37 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Pean View Post
You have no compassion for God.The God I know talks to me. He performs miracles for me. He is my friend, and he helps me in very incredible ways. He is an omnisient being who comes out of compassion itself. He loves me like a father and a brother. He loves me like a priest would love a child screaming for help.

How does God talk to you? IS it voices your hear, is it in your mind? Please give me a few examples. I am not trying to be funny, I am intrigued and curious.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
DoH, check out my monker here, which is definitely in the buy bull belt, and I could introduce you to any number of bible beating racists, probably even recommend a few churches where you could go hear it preached.
The bible belt is a world of its own. Even without the religious aspect of it, it is one strange place and hope that I never have to go back to any town in it.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
How does God talk to you? IS it voices your hear, is it in your mind? Please give me a few examples. I am not trying to be funny, I am intrigued and curious.
I don't believe in a God in the Christian sense. But I think I know what Ball Pean (did I spell that right) is talking about. What I call the Source is close to what Ball might call God. The source speaks to me through my soul, on a level that cannot yet be measured by technology we have today. I know to some of you it sounds far fetched.

The Source - My higher spiritual self. It is similar to a spirit guide or animal I guess.

I don't hear voices, that would be insane. I feel the spirit or source talking to me through my soul or spirit. It's different from the conscious which is widely excepted but, yet to be proven by science. I would love to explain more, but fear it would be too long. PM me if you want to know more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality