Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:14 AM

23,165 posts, read 26,122,269 times

Advertisements

..."thy will be done"......
That's classic CYA, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 07:23 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,956,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
[/b]

Only evidence is in your own mind.

Well once God spoke to me and reminded me to pray about getting a job. And when I prayed and said AMEN. As soon as I said the (A) of AMEN the phone next to me began ring, and I was still on my knees. I picked up the phone. And the man on the other end ask if I could start working for their company the next monday morning.

Another time when I was praying in my car, God spoke to me again right when I was in the middle of my prayer. And he told me my wife was going to have a child. About four hours latter my wife discovered she was pregnant. Yet I knew she was going to have a child, even before she knew.

I have had some real encounters with the God of the Bible over the years. And that is why I think it is so funny to listen to people here who deny God's existence. It's pretty obvious to me, such people are absolutely clueless.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:25 AM

88,300 posts, read 84,311,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Is it a one-way communication directed at God (as in a monologue)?

Or is it a two-way communication, to God and from God (as in a dialogue)?

Is prayer primarily about asking for favors and telling God how great and wonderful he is? Is it informal rather than formal, as in telling God about the cute guy/gal you saw today and how you are planning to get to know him/her better? And God, did you hear the one about ____? Or is it more business-like about things you need from him, and about appreciating Him and all he does for you and praising how powerful and mighty and wonderful he is?

How does he respond, directly or indirectly? Does he talk back in a language or symbols that you can understand? Or is it through actions that require interpretation but leave no doubt in one's mind that they are coming from Him and directed at you?

Any other thoughts are also appreciated.
Most of my prayers are for guidance. Either in general or asking what I should do about a specific situation in which I am unsure how to proceed. The trick is in then letting go of the situation and waiting for the answer. The answer may come as "the still small voice", or found in unanticipated events or circumstance.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:45 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,199,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Most of my prayers are for guidance. Either in general or asking what I should do about a specific situation in which I am unsure how to proceed. The trick is in then letting go of the situation and waiting for the answer. The answer may come as "the still small voice", or found in unanticipated events or circumstance.
That is pretty much like sleeping on an issue, your brain tends to weigh up all the options and when you wake up, you may have a solution.

It really is you that is making the subconscious decisions. If prayer is the ritual of kicking off the process, so be it, I simply shut it out until the next day. The results usually are favorable. Prayer or implied prayer by others has NEVER done anything for me.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:03 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,645,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well once God spoke to me and reminded me to pray about getting a job. And when I prayed and said AMEN. As soon as I said the (A) of AMEN the phone next to me began ring, and I was still on my knees. I picked up the phone. And the man on the other end ask if I could start working for their company the next monday morning.

Another time when I was praying in my car, God spoke to me again right when I was in the middle of my prayer. And he told me my wife was going to have a child. About four hours latter my wife discovered she was pregnant. Yet I knew she was going to have a child, even before she knew.

I have had some real encounters with the God of the Bible over the years. And that is why I think it is so funny to listen to people here who deny God's existence. It's pretty obvious to me, such people are absolutely clueless.
So it had NOTHING to do with your abilities, you didn't apply for this job.

Seriously this God can get you a job, but wont save the small child suffering in pain and dying from cancer. NICE! My husband figured out I was pregnant before I did so did my mom, said I was looking different and had a glow.

The only one clueless here is you.

IF you talk to God its called praying but if you claim God talks to you its called Paranoid Schizophrenia

Last edited by Nea1; 04-07-2011 at 08:13 AM..

Old 04-07-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
So it had NOTHING to do with your abilities, you didn't apply for this job.

Seriously this God can get you a job, but wont save the small child suffering in pain and dying from cancer. NICE! My husband figured out I was pregnant before I did so did my mom, said I was looking different and had a glow.

The only one clueless here is you.

IF you talk to God its called praying but if you claim God talks to you its called Paranoid Schizophrenia

Well then, I guess the entire Bible was written by men who were suffering with Paranoid Schizophrenia. Because much of the Bible was given to us by God speaking to such men. Of course if they were suffering with Paranoid Schizoprenia, that would not explain why all those Biblical endtime prophecies are accurate.

And if I was suffering with Paranoid Schizophrenia, that would still not explain how I got a Job the very second I said the (A) of AMEN.
And I'm sorry, I did not notice any glow around my wife. Only when God spoke to me was I aware my wife was going to have a child.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:43 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,645,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well then, I guess the entire Bible was written by men who were suffering with Paranoid Schizophrenia. Because much of the Bible was given to us by God speaking to such men. Of course if they were suffering with Paranoid Schizoprenia, that would not explain why all those Biblical endtime prophecies are accurate.

And if I was suffering with Paranoid Schizophrenia, that would still not explain how I got a Job the very second I said the (A) of AMEN.
And I'm sorry, I did not notice any glow around my wife. Only when God spoke to me was I aware my wife was going to have a child.
The bible was a book written by men from stories they plagiarized and twisted to make their own to tell the story how they began because they needed that back them. It was written to instill fear and order into the people. It was written in an archaic time when little was known about the world. We know know, myths and fairy tales are no longer needed to tell us how the world formed or how we came to be, science is what is needed for the answers, not magic. There are no end times, their are no prophecies fulfilled, not matter how hard you try to connect them. Do you follow Nostradamus too? Because many of his have supposedly come to pass, and his end times are radically different than yours.

And you got the call because they called at that time , not because they were made too by God, Sorry no matter how you try to twist it.

Hey Campbell why are you so special that god would help you out but ignore the prayers of children suffering and dying? Seriously I think you have a big ego like your god to think you are more special than others. The hoiler than thou makes me sick.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:02 AM

20,427 posts, read 12,725,801 times
Quote:
[/b]

Only evidence is in your own mind.
And you know that how? Of the two of us, I'm the only one who's walked in my shoes.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:09 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,544,497 times
I'm surprised that no one commented on the logical problem of prayer. If God is all-knowing and God's plan is perfect, how can prayer change circumstances which were already planned? How does this intervention affect the idea of free will? If we realize that God's plan is perfect, is prayer selfish? Is praying for God's intervention a request for him to alter his plan? Ultimately, my question is that, if God is all-knowing and his plan is perfect, does this render prayer as redundant?

Old 04-07-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
The bible was a book written by men from stories they plagiarized and twisted to make their own to tell the story how they began because they needed that back them. It was written to instill fear and order into the people. It was written in an archaic time when little was known about the world. We know know, myths and fairy tales are no longer needed to tell us how the world formed or how we came to be, science is what is needed for the answers, not magic. There are no end times, their are no prophecies fulfilled, not matter how hard you try to connect them. Do you follow Nostradamus too? Because many of his have supposedly come to pass, and his end times are radically different than yours.

And you got the call because they called at that time , not because they were made too by God, Sorry no matter how you try to twist it.

Hey Campbell why are you so special that god would help you out but ignore the prayers of children suffering and dying? Seriously I think you have a big ego like your god to think you are more special than others. The hoiler than thou makes me sick.

Of course you ignore the fact that if the Bible was only written by men, how do you explain that its prophecies are being fulfilled in detail today?
So do you deny that Israel exist today, as predicted by Christians in the 1600s based on their understanding of Bible prophecy? You can say such endtime prophecies do not exist. Yet that has little to do with reality and the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality