Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 02:36 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,014,889 times

Advertisements

The idea of an atheistic crusade is simple nonsense. What the OP is really saying is that they can't handle their beliefs being criticized. How many atheists do you see out trying to replace science with unsubstantiated personal beliefs in public schools. How many do you see trying to put their personal beliefs into public schools, prevent equal rights for gays and women. How many do you see out telling everyone whom doesn't believe as they do are worthless, miserable, evil, living a purposeless life and going to burn for eternity? How many do you see out trying to put laws into place that will prohibit religious people from practicing their personal beliefs. How many do you see out poisoning their children's minds into believing they're intrinsically worthless and wicked and should hate themselves. The answer is a very, very slight minority. There is no atheistic crusade and no one is prohibiting you from practicing your personal beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 03:33 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
We all know that comment isn't true. There are several atheists on this site that want religion behind closed doors and not seen in public at all. This is the same as making them an underground organization.
No it is not. No church here in SA has had to resort to secretive actions. They are prohibited from simply entering public places unless prior permission received from the local authorities. They cannot simply pitch a tent at a school and start a revival meeting w/o the full consent of the people in the vicinity. They can however do this on their own properties. They are allowed to advertise their churches as long as it complies with the ASA and does not single out any minority in a derogatory way.

Behind closed doors is exactly where it belongs not in the public arena. There are no atheists picketing churches harassing folk not to attend with some threat for non compliance.

Even if atheism became the defacto norm, they would not close churches down. The churches would fail on simple economics alone.

The church I attended subsidizes its income by letting out premises that used to be the school to businessmen as offices. They have a coffee shop etc. It really is all about money/business and nothing else.

In Amsterdam, I attended a business conference in an old church that is now owned by the hotel across the street. This was a very old church, tried to get a pic but not sure what its original name was but similar to this.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:14 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,714,865 times
Quote:
You think I haven't been attacked for my beliefs?
Based on your short tenure here, I'd say you're "attacked" based on your aggressive trolling and bad attitude. No one would know the first thing about your beliefs if you didn't try and rub everyone's noses in how you are so open minded and superior to everyone else, especially those damn uppity atheists.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:16 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,714,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
You go first. Go away and stop your crusade against people who don't believe like you and we'll stop defending our views.
Hmm, not willing to follow the rules you want to impose on everyone else. I'm shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:19 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
I was wondering, what would allow you as an individual to accept another persons and the beleifs they practice. You don't have to practice their religious, spiritual or atheistic ways. You only have to accept the fact that there are various beliefs out there and allow others to practice them in peace.

So, What would be your olive branch? What would allow you to leave other religious beliefs alone?
That's an interesting posting. I'm curious as to why you begin by assuming that people are automatically opposed to other religions. I'm not; I don't need an 'olive branch.' As far as I'm concerned, everyone else is more than welcome to practice their religious beliefs...or absence of same. All I ask is that they don't intrude on mine.

I suppose that's way too simplistic, but as we say here in Brooklyn, waddaya gonna do?

Old 04-06-2011, 09:41 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
First off, lets get this straight... These laws are not religious based. They are Christian based. I don't see any Buddhist laws out there or any pagan laws out there.

You aren't against religion, you are against Christianity or so it seems.
In this country, the religious based laws are of the christian persuasion, but globally, RELIGIONS are the problem, any of them, all of them, as religion is the birthplace of hatred, hatred on many fronts. My angst is focused on christianity, cause it's in my backyard, I see the hate, intolerance and ignornace of christianity every day. Last month the local city council was treated to person after person, bible in hand, expressing their visceral hatred of a group of people that represents 10%+ of people that live in our community, based solely on the book of fables they were holding. (I watched on the local government channel on cable, it was embarrassing that people can be this stupid and just downright hateful.)

Of course to two big ones are the most dangerous ones, they are the aggressive cancers affecting society.

Hatred is such a systemic part of religion, it is the core, that we see the ET crowd express their utter hatred of the UR crowd in these forums. The start of the Iraq war brought to light that muslims have their own sects and hate each other beyond reason. For years the protestant/catholic killing and bombing in Northern Ireland, all over the stupidity of gods that don't exist.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:49 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
We all know that comment isn't true. There are several atheists on this site that want religion behind closed doors and not seen in public at all. This is the same as making them an underground organization.
That is not what anyone has said, that is what you want to hear so you can bicker and backbite.

I love seeing these huge monuments to a fantasy built on the backs of those foolish enough to contribute to the building fund. I don't care what any group does in their monument to the invisible big guy.

But when they come out of the monument to the non-existent, DO NOT attempt to force your fairy tales into society, into the science text books in our schools, into our law books, or start wars of this ultimate in stupidity.

The analogy that seems to upset you; run around in your house as naked as you want, I don't care. BUT when you come out into society keep your damn fly zipped.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:57 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I don't think I have ever seen so many straw man arguments in one post before. In case you have forgotten (after all you are the OP) the thread is about RELIGION.
Your right, I am showing how people neglect other sources of corruption and political gain. They blame religion. Now, how about we keep this thread on track. If you have no solution to add, there is no reason for you to post. This is supposed to be a thread discussing in a friendly manner how we could form a religious peace. I will not allow you to steer this thread in a direction that allows you to make this a thread against religion.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
The idea of an atheistic crusade is simple nonsense. What the OP is really saying is that they can't handle their beliefs being criticized. How many atheists do you see out trying to replace science with unsubstantiated personal beliefs in public schools. How many do you see trying to put their personal beliefs into public schools, prevent equal rights for gays and women. How many do you see out telling everyone whom doesn't believe as they do are worthless, miserable, evil, living a purposeless life and going to burn for eternity? How many do you see out trying to put laws into place that will prohibit religious people from practicing their personal beliefs. How many do you see out poisoning their children's minds into believing they're intrinsically worthless and wicked and should hate themselves. The answer is a very, very slight minority. There is no atheistic crusade and no one is prohibiting you from practicing your personal beliefs.
Seriously? Where did this come from. Other than Christian Based laws and attempts, show me some laws or religious groups trying to invade school curriculum.

This is an official challenge. Refusing to do so only proves that it is not religion and spirituality that is the problem. It is Christianity and Atheists that are going at it and spilling into other religions arena, mashing everything up as one.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Based on your short tenure here, I'd say you're "attacked" based on your aggressive trolling and bad attitude. No one would know the first thing about your beliefs if you didn't try and rub everyone's noses in how you are so open minded and superior to everyone else, especially those damn uppity atheists.
Another fine example of you cut and pasting my words to fit your agenda.

Quote:
What I actually said:

You think I haven't been attacked for my beliefs? I get it from every angle imaginable. I get attacked and called a satan worshiper by various Christians, then I get attacked by atheists who want to tell me my beliefs are archaic. Do you see where I am coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality