U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 05:47 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,463,330 times

Advertisements

This is something I have been thinking about very often: how much are we supposed to give/- up if someone asks us to?

Yesterday evening I was in the bathroom, preparing to go to bed, when my brother knocked on the door and said he wanted to use the bathroom. Without thinking, my respons was "No, not now. You're gonna have to use the one downstairs". (I wasn't...properly dressed and such) But as soon as I heard him turn around and head downstairs, I had this tremendous feeling of guilt. I immediately felt that I should have let him come in, I could have waited in the halway if I had just taken a bath towel, but instead my immediate, non-thinking respons was "No".

And sometimes, you get something that someone else doesn't. It would mean more to you (for example, you haven't eaten in alla day, but your friends has, and you find one piece of candy in your bag), yet the other person would want it too. Are you supposed to give it to the other person, eventhough you would need it more, just because Jesus said that we're supposed to share and give away what we've got if someone asks us to?
(Did he say that just so that we wouldn't "love" materialistic things too much?)

Should we give away everything when someone asks us to? Even if it means we're looked upon as push-overs? I try my best to share whatever I have, but sometimes I feel as if it isn't worth it, and that I actually need this. Is this just an egoistic thought from the "primate life" (hold on to what you get since you don't know when you'll get more food, etc-life) from our ancestors, or can it be justified in todays world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 06:39 AM

2,136 posts, read 3,132,248 times
Nice thread, Sweden. I am sure that you will get some great biblical answers. I am afraid I do not know the answer to your question. I think that we have to listen to our heart. I believe that the Holy Spirit lives inside of us, and we have to listen and allow him to guide us. In the bathroom situation, your brother had another option. He could go downstairs. You were not putting him out by asking him to do this. Now there are times when we have something that we truly need and we are asked to share it. I believe that if the Holy Spirit has guided us into this situation, he will provide our needs. It is greater to give that to receive. I wish I could help you out biblically, but I know others on this forum will answer.

Take care and God bless you.

Weather...

Old 07-30-2007, 08:01 AM

3,434 posts, read 6,698,866 times
Im always reminded of the story of the good samaritan when i think of giving (for me) anyways, He helped someone without expecting to be paid back. As far as whats expected, Id agree with Weather, the Holy Spirit tugs gently at your heart to do so. I have had that happen several times about helping someone, calling them, etc.
For me, it seems its easier to help strangers than family, or close friends, they dont know you, and dont expect you to help, you just do.
Family, after learning you have a truck and can help move, will call often-lol

Old 07-30-2007, 10:18 AM

7,917 posts, read 11,678,814 times
I've worked too hard for what I have to literally give it all away but I'd always be willing to help a friend or relative in any way that I could if the need arose. I would be very unlikely to give anything to someone whose own irresponsible behavior was the cause of their misfortune but would be willing to help someone who was truly deserving of a helping hand.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:31 AM

1,587 posts, read 2,737,540 times
Proverbs 3:27-28

Do not withhold good from those who deserve it,
when it is in your power to act.

Do not say to your neighbor,
"Come back later; I'll give it tomorrow"—
when you now have it with you.

I think the key words in this verse is "those who deserve it".

We have given cars away for free...no strings attached...when we were on one income and living check to check. I say that because we could have used the money ourselves, yet a friend of mine was a single mother struggling worse then we were...and she needed a car. So instead of selling ours when we got a new used one, we gave it to her. We did this again recently.

If it's something you NEED then don't give it. When it's in our power, we should do it, and do it right away.

Last edited by Jazzedforhim; 07-30-2007 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-30-2007, 11:57 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,854,873 times
Default Not everything

Quote:
This is something I have been thinking about very often: how much are we supposed to give/- up if someone asks us to
?

Our blessing are gifts. We shouldn't "re-gift" ( my wife says so) our blessings. Why? because we are first expected to be good stewards of our blessings, so others may see. Most parents do not give everthing to their children, to educate them and allow them to mature. No different for us.

St Francis Assisi said "preach the gospel always... and sometimes use words". Boy do I like that!

Old 07-30-2007, 12:32 PM

7,302 posts, read 11,240,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
This is something I have been thinking about very often: how much are we supposed to give/- up if someone asks us to?

Yesterday evening I was in the bathroom, preparing to go to bed, when my brother knocked on the door and said he wanted to use the bathroom. Without thinking, my respons was "No, not now. You're gonna have to use the one downstairs". (I wasn't...properly dressed and such) But as soon as I heard him turn around and head downstairs, I had this tremendous feeling of guilt. I immediately felt that I should have let him come in, I could have waited in the halway if I had just taken a bath towel, but instead my immediate, non-thinking respons was "No".

And sometimes, you get something that someone else doesn't. It would mean more to you (for example, you haven't eaten in alla day, but your friends has, and you find one piece of candy in your bag), yet the other person would want it too. Are you supposed to give it to the other person, eventhough you would need it more, just because Jesus said that we're supposed to share and give away what we've got if someone asks us to?
(Did he say that just so that we wouldn't "love" materialistic things too much?)

Should we give away everything when someone asks us to? Even if it means we're looked upon as push-overs? I try my best to share whatever I have, but sometimes I feel as if it isn't worth it, and that I actually need this. Is this just an egoistic thought from the "primate life" (hold on to what you get since you don't know when you'll get more food, etc-life) from our ancestors, or can it be justified in todays world?
I tell you that you will live a lifetime and never REALLY figure this one out. There are some times when you should be totally unselfish and totally generous, and other times when doing so would be dangerous and destructive. There will be times when you are generous, and you will get BURNED (but don't let that stop you from being generous). And there are times when you are selfish, and should have been more generous (but don't go to the extreme and give yourself away). You have to follow your heart I guess.

And no, you should not have given up the bathroom for your brother, especially if there are other bathrooms in the house. What you could do though is work out a morning and evening schedule in your house. Our mom did that, because there were six kids, and we were given a time limit in the 1 bathroom in our pretty humble little house.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 999 times
Good thread.

I believe the act of giving with a Godly heart is blessed.

We first must remember EVERYTHING belongs to God. Nothing we have or will have is from our own strength. It is only by God's blessing we have anything.

God ultimately wants us to have a relationship with him. The closer our walk with God, the easier it is to her him. He will place people in our lives that will test that relationship and how well we hear him.

If we don't give something to someone that God wants us to give to, whether it be the bathroom to show our love for that person, or give our house to someone who needs it. Ultimately it is God's to give, we are to be obedient to him.

However, if we give something to someone God does NOT want us to give to, then we are just as disobedient.

It boils down to your relationship with God. The only single answer is what is God telling you. Does He want you to give him the bathroom, your car, your house, your business, your life savings? Or, does He want you to teach thoughtfulness, discipline, thriftiness, and how to manage their money.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:34 AM

7,884 posts, read 4,748,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGuy2 View Post

It boils down to your relationship with God. The only single answer is what is God telling you. Does He want you to give him the bathroom, your car, your house, your business, your life savings? Or, does He want you to teach thoughtfulness, discipline, thriftiness, and how to manage their money.
Your supposed to give to everyone that begs from you pal. No if or buts about it....your Jesus says you must do it. I don't see many Christians obeying the words of their man-god mind you.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:04 AM

61 posts, read 33,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post

Don't be a pushover, take a stand. In your gut you know what is right and wrong. Choose your gut reaction without thinking too much about it and if you are a decent person your gut reactions will probably be right. If you are a push over you cannot respect yourself but if you are selfish you cannot respect yourself either. Take the Middle Way,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality