U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-12-2011, 03:05 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,756,634 times

Advertisements

According to Mega Seders Make Passover Food to Thousands of Travelers, two thousand gefilte fish and other Passover supplies are headed to Nepal as part of what Chabad touts as the world's largest -- 1,500 person -- seder*, held each year in Katmandu:

*Seder (SAY-d'r) is the ritualized meals that follow a specified order on the first two evenings of Passover, where blessings are recited, there is a retelling of the story of the Exodus, a special meal is eaten and traditional songs are sung -- all in a specified particular order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 03:47 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,069,677 times
does it have to be ONE seder?

I spent one passover night at Cornell university. In their armory building, they had FIFTY simultaneous seders going on - every stripe - reform, conservative, orthodox, feminist, student journalists, fraternity kids, fast, slow, lots of singing, less singing, whatever - all under one roof and sharing the same food. but a different seder at each table. It was unlike anything I had ever seen.

probably wasnt 1500 though. anywhere from 10 to 20 or so at each table, so less than a thousand, I guess.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:18 PM

15,703 posts, read 4,867,708 times
I wonder if they will be serving Mrs. Adler's Gefilte Fish?

Also, how do they decide which lucky young lad gets to recite The Four Questions????

Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 04-12-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I wonder if they will be serving Mrs. Adler's Gefilte Fish?

Also, how do they decide which lucky young lad gets to recite The Four Questions????

Inquiring minds want to know!
You can ask Rabbi Chezky Lif****z of the Chabad House of Kathmandu.

Let us know what you find out, OK?

The rabbi's last name is L-i-f-s-h-i-t-z.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:24 AM

40,059 posts, read 19,809,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
According to Mega Seders Make Passover Food to Thousands of Travelers, two thousand gefilte fish and other Passover supplies are headed to Nepal as part of what Chabad touts as the world's largest -- 1,500 person -- seder*, held each year in Katmandu
You'd think there might be more Jews to attend a seder in Brooklyn than Katmandu. (Or, bite thy tongue, Tel Aviv!) Chabad has some pretty strange priorities!

Old 04-13-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You'd think there might be more Jews to attend a seder in Brooklyn than Katmandu. (Or, bite thy tongue, Tel Aviv!) Chabad has some pretty strange priorities!
There are many more seders in Brooklyn and Tel Aviv than the one seder in Katmandu, hence the difference in attendance at each seder.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:02 AM

10,040 posts, read 6,653,886 times
You know I would imagine that that would be a very spectacular thing to witness and who would've thought that there were that many members of the Jewish faith to celebrate passover in Katmandu. That's amazing.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:16 AM

8,479 posts, read 6,069,677 times
IIUC a lot of young Israelis take the year after army service to travel, and the subcontinent (cheap, not hostile to Jews - well at least in India and Nepal) is a favored destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality