Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 12:00 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,325,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Now why would you say that, other than it indicates that your perception is wrong?
How so? Do you have tangible evidence to prove my perception wrong?

Test a town with a baseball team about baseball and a town without a team about baseball. I bet you get quite different results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 07:41 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,735,156 times
I got an 87 on the short version of the quiz.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:01 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
How so? Do you have tangible evidence to prove my perception wrong?

Test a town with a baseball team about baseball and a town without a team about baseball. I bet you get quite different results.
Probably not, as a town doesn't have to have a team to have people knowledgeable about baseball. Ever heard of fans?

So throw all evidence out, and just go with the BS of the bible? That is the practice of deliberate ignorance ........... Oh wait, that is christianity as we know it today

Old 04-16-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Probably not, as a town doesn't have to have a team to have people knowledgeable about baseball. Ever heard of fans?

So throw all evidence out, and just go with the BS of the bible? That is the practice of deliberate ignorance ........... Oh wait, that is christianity as we know it today
Ash, you're stance actually makes no sense. You are just 100% against the bible, religion, and spirituality in any way. This leads me to think that you had a terrible experience with religion, particularly Christianity.

You state that we need proof, yet when you are asked for it you provide none and claim to not need any. Sorry, but as of now, you need proof. Either 100% prove that All religion is false or leave it be. There comes a time when a person needs to step back, analyze and rethink their approach. I did this recently, as well.

And actually, a town with a team would know more about baseball then a team without a team. Fans or no fans, the population of fans that are into baseball would be greater in a town with a team compared to a town without a team.

Religion is the same. Test a town with 5 churches and a town with 50 churches and there will be a vast difference in religious knowledge. Now do this with one town in the bible belt and the other outside of it. Same thing the difference in the knowledge of religion would be vast.

I know you live the in the bible belt, I am sorry. Aside from the religious fanatics, most of the bible belt is a great place. But, the religious freaks ruin alot of great things. I am sorry if you had a bad experience with various religions in your area. But, there are millions of religious people that are nothing like the religious fundies out there. We non-fundie religious people outnumber the fundies, but they are louder in their beliefs and we are not, aside from blogs, and threads on here.

Maybe it is time the non-fundies made their voices a little louder to silence or drown out the voice of those that do harm in the name of religion. But, then we would be no better than those we wish to silence, we would be considered first amendment violators by everyone.

So, it is better to practice in peace than to spread through hate.

Last edited by raison_d'etre; 04-16-2011 at 11:20 PM..

Old 04-16-2011, 11:32 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Ash, you're stance actually makes no sense. You are just 100% against the bible, religion, and spirituality in any way. This leads me to think that you had a terrible experience with religion, particularly Christianity.
Nope, no religious trauma, never sent to be buggered by priests, but all one has to do is pay attention, read, watch the news to see that religion is a huge negative force on society. The wars we are involved in, over gods, the astounding hatred and stupidity of Terry Schiavo incident paralyzing our government for days, the voting of religion based hatred into law (CA Prop 8), and the list goes on and on.

I have no problem with the bible, religion, or whatever, UNTIL it effects me (examples in previous paragraph) Our economy is circling the drain, and a huge contributor to that is "my god, your god wars" we are in. Our government was all but shut down last week because of religion. The cause, infighting over funding planed parent hood because the idiots thought it would fund abortions (which it doesn't). That belief along with stunning levels of ignorance was within 5 minutes of creating a good deal more hardship for millions.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:58 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,730,895 times
Well, it's a dead horse but we'll give it a few more solid whacks anyways:
Force-feeding any religious ideology to the masses is the beginning of stupidity, and that's exactly how Atheists (thanks to Marxists) have out-massacred any category of religion in human history. They tried to force their ideology on everyone else in the world.

The stupid stuff people do to other people doesn't come from having an opinion. It doesn't come from sharing that opinion. The really stupid stuff happens when any person or group tries to beat the rest of humankind into accepting their chosen ideology.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Nope, no religious trauma, never sent to be buggered by priests, but all one has to do is pay attention, read, watch the news to see that religion is a huge negative force on society. The wars we are involved in, over gods, the astounding hatred and stupidity of Terry Schiavo incident paralyzing our government for days, the voting of religion based hatred into law (CA Prop 8), and the list goes on and on.

I have no problem with the bible, religion, or whatever, UNTIL it effects me (examples in previous paragraph) Our economy is circling the drain, and a huge contributor to that is "my god, your god wars" we are in. Our government was all but shut down last week because of religion. The cause, infighting over funding planed parent hood because the idiots thought it would fund abortions (which it doesn't). That belief along with stunning levels of ignorance was within 5 minutes of creating a good deal more hardship for millions.
THe government shutdown was not religiously faulted. It was because we elect morons to lead the country who cannot agree with each-other because they all have to have it their way, all religions aside.

Our economy is not going down the drain because of religion, it is going down the drain because of the government handouts and because people have no idea how our economy works. Wages go up 1% as cost of living goes up 3% this is how our nation works and until we can make it so that the wages surpass the cost of living by 2/3 we will be in this mess. It should not take a months wages to pay for your rent or mortgage. It should not cost more to eat healthy things like fruits and veggies than it does to east junk like candy, soda, and chips.

Religion is not the cause of the worlds biggest problems, greed, power, and hate are. When it comes to hate, it is mostly about race or sexuality. It is only because 90% of the population claims to be of some form of religion. Take away the religion aspect and you still have greed, power, and hate.

If a man who is a christian goes on a killing spree, everyone sees it as a christian man goes on killing spree, and his faith is the cause. If a man is of no religious faith and goes on a killing spree it is left out that the man was atheist. Do you get it? If you are found to be religious and you do something wrong it must have been caused by your religion, if you do something wrong and you aren't religious the fact that you are an atheist is left out.

Now reverse this and say a man who is a christian saves a bus load of children from a train. His religion is kept out of it. If an atheist does the same thing, the fact that he is an atheist is also left out. In this case they are equal.

So, a persons religion is only in question when it is believed to lead to harm or bad things. But, when it leads to good things, it is left out completely.

To be religious is to be judged on a different set of standards, this is wrong. Everyone should be judged the same regardless of religious beliefs or lack there of. We are all the same, we are all human.

Now, I do agree with you about laws being in place that are religiously based. Lets leave religion and politics separate, politics is messed up enough already. Just think of the word politics... poli(many) tics(blood sucking insects)...hmmm

Old 04-17-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Well, it's a dead horse but we'll give it a few more solid whacks anyways:
Force-feeding any religious ideology to the masses is the beginning of stupidity, and that's exactly how Atheists (thanks to Marxists) have out-massacred any category of religion in human history. They tried to force their ideology on everyone else in the world.

The stupid stuff people do to other people doesn't come from having an opinion. It doesn't come from sharing that opinion. The really stupid stuff happens when any person or group tries to beat the rest of humankind into accepting their chosen ideology.
Agreed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality