Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 07:48 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,712,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
You're claiming to own the high ground of "reason and logic." Do you have a reasoned and logical argument that actually supports your atheistic perspective?

Your post contains nothing more than quotes and assertions expressed in an authoritative (as 'from the burning bush') manner. It may play well with your fellow skeptics and atheists in the peanut gallery or gain additional reps (wow!)...however, beyond that, very unconvincing.
Reason and logic has nothing to do with moral high ground of any sort. It has to do with the way we understand the world through empirical and scientific methods.

I'm sorry if you don't understand these concepts and remain unconvinced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 08:23 PM

20,407 posts, read 12,714,272 times
Yes, in themself and their self-gained knowledge.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:25 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,993,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Faith is defined in many ways. One of the major definitions of faith is:
  • strong or unshakeable belief in something, esp without proof or evidence
  • belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that thehypothesis would be substantiated by fact.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/faith

I contend that Atheists operate on a type of faith. If you believe something to be so without proof or evidence then one is operating in faith.

Or maybe I am wrong. Perhaps there is evidence that supports the Atheist POV. I just see such strong convictions among many atheists, makes me wonder. Perhaps they know something I don't.

This thread is meant to challenge and to enlighten. And to make some folk realize that it is not just the religious who believe something in faith.
To see the error of your thinking,change the issue from God/no god to one of ET aliens vs no ET aliens.And then redo your sentence as such.

"Or maybe I am wrong. Perhaps there is evidence that supports the no ET aliens POV. I just see such strong convictions among many who refuse to believe in ET aliens, makes me wonder. Perhaps they know something I don't."

Old 04-13-2011, 08:29 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,993,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Yes, in themself and their self-gained knowledge.
Is self gained knowledge better,or a religious belief taught to you by others you think must be smarter than yourself?

Old 04-13-2011, 08:30 PM

271 posts, read 392,952 times
No, because atheism is regarding a negative stance and religion is postulating a positive one. If I state that there's a 100 ton gorilla that lives on the edge of the milky way and you say no way... doesn't mean you don't have faith in my 100 ton gorilla. It just states that what i've shown or haven't shown as evidence of its existence hasn't been substantial enough for you to have faith.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:44 PM

271 posts, read 392,952 times
Or it's like if I tell you that I make the best apple pie in the world and one day you ask me to bake one for you but I say no,"you're just gonna have to take my word for it". Does that mean now that you have faith that my apple pie isn't the best in the world? or does it mean that you lack the ability to have faith because I can't prove to you through concrete evidence(tasting it) that it is? Atheism is a position that lies in the realm of concrete, rational, logically sound evidence. Religion is a position that lies within mystery...not truly knowing what's going to happen until you arrive their, while all along placing all your hopes, emotions, and life goals into this mystery because someone told you to just believe.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:59 PM

20,407 posts, read 12,714,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
Is self gained knowledge better,or a religious belief taught to you by others you think must be smarter than yourself?
I don't know, but a choice to place one's faith in Jesus Christ is better than both! It provides eternal security & riches beyond human comprehension.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:10 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,463,753 times
Quote:
I don't know, but a choice to place one's faith in Jesus Christ is better than both! It provides eternal security & riches beyond human comprehension.
No it provides the fantasy of security and riches, and nothing else. You are chasing nothing but a fantasy, and missing so much of life in your headlong rush to preparing for death.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:11 PM

33,512 posts, read 37,047,088 times
Quote:
A perfect description of faith. Belief with no evidence whatsoever.
I don't describe myself as having faith, but rather confidence in what I know to be consistent and true. I have confidence that eventually spring will arrive, but this year it's getting rather shaky.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:42 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,436,777 times
I had faith when I was an atheist. I believed in the power of positive thinking and in the power of the law of attraction, but I just didn't believe there was any sort of God force behind it. I thought they were properties of the Universe just as natural and integrated as the laws of physics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality