Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 10:15 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,176 times

Advertisements

Teaching involves providing the facility to think for oneself and encouraging said independent thought. Indoctrinating teaches ideology while purposefully excluding teaching to think for oneself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 01:15 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,061,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Teaching involves providing the facility to think for oneself and encouraging said independent thought. Indoctrinating teaches ideology while purposefully excluding teaching to think for oneself.
No i think that's just teaching to think for yourselve. Teaching science and English and other general things is basically about assuming that thinking for yourself has already been learned. Teaching is mostly about Agnosticism, while indoctrination is about Anti-Agnosticism.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:01 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm not sure if I'll be actually participating on this thread or not, but I would be interested in hearing, particularly from those of you who are agnostics or atheists, whether you believe it to be possible for parents to teach their children that there is a God without "indoctrinating" them? Looking at the flip side of the question, is it possible for parents to teach their children that there is no God without "indoctrinating" them?

In other words, is all teaching indoctrinating? Or is it only "indoctrination" if the belief being conveyed by parents to their children is not in line with yours?
I struggled my whole life with G-d and I grew up in a secular family with no indoctrination so I found my own way. I was given a gift. Now I work to have my kids see the best in being Jewish, to work out within them selves how to see G-d all around them. But their faith will not be mine.
I teach my children how to be good people to care about there world and about their fellow man. My faith is mine and I will pass on my tradition to them but whether they are religious or secular Jews they will always be Jewish.

What is important to me is that they carry on the values of Judaism and want to impart those to their children to feel the connection to their community and people. That they love being Jewish.

I will teach them not indoctrinate them because in the end what they choose to be is their right and I will support them.

I can do this because I don't believe I have the only truth, just a way and that gives me great peace.

Last edited by Jazzymom; 05-01-2011 at 07:12 AM..

Old 05-01-2011, 08:20 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,223,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Teaching is agnostic.

Indoctrination is not.

Pretty much end of story, any questions?
Agnostic means "without knowlege". I would hope that there would be some knowledge involved in whatever teaching situation I was involved in.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:57 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm not sure if I'll be actually participating on this thread or not, but I would be interested in hearing, particularly from those of you who are agnostics or atheists, whether you believe it to be possible for parents to teach their children that there is a God without "indoctrinating" them? Looking at the flip side of the question, is it possible for parents to teach their children that there is no God without "indoctrinating" them?

In other words, is all teaching indoctrinating? Or is it only "indoctrination" if the belief being conveyed by parents to their children is not in line with yours?
Depends. Are those doing the "teaching" showing how to think for ones self or merely insisting that what they "teach" is the only truth and should not be questioned.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
No i think that's just teaching to think for yourselve. Teaching science and English and other general things is basically about assuming that thinking for yourself has already been learned. Teaching is mostly about Agnosticism, while indoctrination is about Anti-Agnosticism.
And where does this leave the indoctrination of no belief in this god of yours? Or are you admitting that people come to non-belief as a natural result of living?

Old 05-01-2011, 01:21 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,269,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Teaching is sharing that which has evidence of truth...

Indoctrination is sharing regardless of any evidence of truth.
I agree with ^^^^^^^

Old 05-01-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
Agnostic means "without knowlege". I would hope that there would be some knowledge involved in whatever teaching situation I was involved in.
No that's not what it means in the context im using. Science is Agnostic. It's basically about understanding you could always be wrong and anything is possible.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
No that's not what it means in the context im using. Science is Agnostic. It's basically about understanding you could always be wrong and anything is possible.
So this applies to your chosen belief system too?

Old 05-01-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
And where does this leave the indoctrination of no belief in this god of yours? Or are you admitting that people come to non-belief as a natural result of living?
I'm not sure? are you speaking of Atheists? if their teaching is iron clast and doesn't allow an open mind or any questioning then it is anti-agnostic. most fundamentalists are anti-agnostic. No I don't admit that people come to non-belief as a natural result of living. That seems ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality