Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 01:38 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
A very common error us theists make is we assume that an atheist does not believe in the existence of God(swt), because they refuse to believe. We often fail to acknowledge that the reason they do not believe is because they can see no logical explanation for the existence of God(swt), in other words we did not present proof they can verify independently.

We make the error of thinking that our reasons for believing constitute proof.

None of us know what would suffice as proof to any person. What is proof to me may seem silly to another person. The simple fact is, We can not make a person believe anything. They can only believe when they themselves have seen or heard something that convinces them God(swt) does exist.

In educational psychology there is a concept of "Learning Readiness" when a person is at the point they are ready to learn a new fact, skill or thought, they will learn it with minimal outside influence. at that point all that is needed is to present the learning materials. A teacher does not teach, a student learns, the teacher simply facilitates the learning by knowing when to present the proper material.

So it is with an Atheist, we need to identify when they are ready to learn of the existence of God(swt) and be available to present the needed material. For some people that moment may never come or the person refuses to follow it. We need not see that a a personal challenge. Have faith that Allaah(swt) will lead those who desire to be led.

All we, as theists, can do is act with true love, not condemnation nor admonishment, accept their right to not believe and overlook any thing we may see as ridicule of our belief. We need to act with love, concern and respect, not with threats nor condemnation. We need to relax and allow Allaah(swt) to do what he does best.
I don't see the Learning Readiness concept as been applicable. Religion is an interest and belief in any god is not a high point to aspire to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 03:27 PM

1,220 posts, read 987,262 times
Default The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I don't see the Learning Readiness concept as been applicable. Religion is an interest and belief in any god is not a high point to aspire to.
Shalom Joe90
the higher the fewer...The Blessings of The Eternal One see you in prayer...

Old 06-13-2011, 05:16 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
In a dream, there were a thousand doors, and I in a room, with a television set.

A figure cloaked, half shining white, glowing bright, illuminating the room with awe-inspiring might. That purest white showed paradise's light.

The other half, though, was black and dead as tarry night, despoiled with red and boiling bright, with fiery glow which gave me fright.

"Choose a door, if you will," my friend and/or my enemy said.

"But I like my TV!" I responded "And it's right now, right here with me! I'm somewhat bored, but it's what's behind those doors I truly dread."

"Fine then, put it off," the cloaked figure said.

So then all around me, ghosts walked through doors, falling into the flames. Half flew up to paradise, when it's gatekeepers called their names.

I watched Seinfeld, Family Guy, The Simpsons, Deadliest Catch, Fox News, and Nova. I liked Roseane, Dog Whisperer, MTV, Red Dwarf, and PBS all over.

Finally, time to choose, my end minutes away, I clicked off the tube's power, and coughing, walked towards doors to choose behind which I should stay.

I fell through fire and brimstone, to my surprise, not my hoped for paradise, up in the skies.

"I gambled wrong!" said a dozen lost souls around me, those who chose the wrong path so surprised at the fate to which they were now bound.

"Not me!" I said cheerfully, as charcoals scorched at my feet. I danced like a desert lizard, in hopes of avoiding some heat.

"Not you? But you're stuck here, same as we!" said several dozen.

"No, not me!" I said, as old memories of old shows danced through my head, I chuckled knowing, I still basically had my TV.

Last edited by Clintone; 06-13-2011 at 05:28 PM..

Old 06-13-2011, 06:03 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post
As we all know atheist don't believe in God .. we do (religious people)
They don't believe in life after death ..we do ..
They don't believe in heaven and hell .. we do ..
But what if you are wrong ?
What if we are wrong too ?
If we are wrong then nothing well happen to us .. but if you are wrong you will go to hell
So as a matter of precaution Why don't you try to believe in God even theoretically ... Just try ... who knows !!
you have nothing to lose anyway don't you ?!!!
Then I would be residing in the same camp as folk that smile when considering that others might go to a hell. I don't need that kind of psycho in my life. You can keep it.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:27 PM

222 posts, read 473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Then I would be residing in the same camp as folk that smile when considering that others might go to a hell. I don't need that kind of psycho in my life. You can keep it.
Well I'm hedging my bets. God loves a sinner who repents so I'm going down all guns blazing with a last "sorry and I won't do it again" just before the fiery furnace gets really hot!

Old 06-13-2011, 07:09 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post
As we all know atheist don't believe in God .. we do (religious people)
They don't believe in life after death ..we do ..
They don't believe in heaven and hell .. we do ..
But what if you are wrong ?
What if we are wrong too ?
If we are wrong then nothing well happen to us .. but if you are wrong you will go to hell
So as a matter of precaution Why don't you try to believe in God even theoretically ... Just try ... who knows !!
you have nothing to lose anyway don't you ?!!!
"IF" Christianity is true and you beleive in that God only as a precaution, then come judgement day, you will be sent into the fires of hell because that God would say "I never truly knew you"

Yes, there are scriptures in the Bible that back this up but I dont know them right off hand. Maybe there is a Christian out there who can help me out?

Old 06-13-2011, 07:14 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Which god should we believe in? If we believe in Odin, and Zeus is the real god, then Zeus will send us to Hades. If you believe in the god of Abraham, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the real god, he might punish you. If you believe in all the gods, the real god might get jealous and punish you for worshipping other gods.

Maybe, the real god, honors and values rational thought best and despises belief without sufficient evidence.

If he is a decent god at all, he would never send people to hell for not believing in him, he would instead look at the heart of all people and reward kind and loving behaviors no matter what one believed during one's life. In fact, I don't want to serve a god that would send people to eternal torment just for not believing in him.
Hueffenhardt, I have such an amount of respect for you. In all of your posts, { the ones that I have read anyway } you remain respectful even when you have an opposing view. On, behalf of everyone who is unsure on what they beleive.....thank you!!!

Old 06-13-2011, 07:18 PM

222 posts, read 473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S. 123 View Post
"IF" Christianity is true and you beleive in that God only as a precaution, then come judgement day, you will be sent into the fires of hell because that God would say "I never truly knew you"

Yes, there are scriptures in the Bible that back this up but I dont know them right off hand. Maybe there is a Christian out there who can help me out?
Madness!

Old 06-13-2011, 10:43 PM

1,220 posts, read 987,262 times
Default The Truth

Shalom
believe in G-d, not as a matter of precaution from G-d's wrath...but simply because like a child, you do...and pray for all those who for whatever reasons they own to justify their desires of the flesh in the sight of G-d, that The Blessings of The Eternal One find them in The Love of G-d's only begotten Son, Yeshua Messiac praying, and praying well...

Old 06-13-2011, 10:53 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Beat me to it...you're fast for an old man
Yeah!!! Ya gotta watch out for us codgers!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality