Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 06:47 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,658,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo11 View Post
As a U.U., I was curious to know what others' knowledge of this religion is. Have you heard of it before? What do you think of it? Is it a valid religious choice?

Feel free to be honest.
Unitarian Universalism is the "why even bother" of religions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 05:04 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,885,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Huffenhardt, is your wife's name "Lilly Of The Field" ? Not at all trying to be facetious, if it is I actually commend her for having some Robert Frost spirit in her and going down "The Road Not Taken".
My real name is not Hueffenhardt; it is my online pen name. My wife's real name is not "Lilly of the Field"; it is her online pen name. She took it from Jesus, when he said, "consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin" (Matthew 6:28).

Old 09-15-2011, 06:19 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,476,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavemaster View Post
They could print that site out and use it as a recruitment poster.

Kind of a sad sign of how far to the right we've swung as a country that an ideas like "The inherent worth and dignity of every person", "Justice, equity and compassion in human relations", and "The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large" are considered left wing.
All those flowery words in practice advocate left-politics. " Our Unitarian Universalist commitment to social justice fuels our advocacy for comprehensive sexuality education; economic justice; environmental justice; equality for bisexual, gay, lesbian, and transgender (BGLT) people and their families; gender equality; immigrant rights; and other important causes which Unitarian Universalists and UUA congregations support."

Whether one agrees or not with UU policy positions, to deny or become defensive over them being classified as 'left' is absurd.

UU might not be the best example of what's really a social/political organization being called a 'religion,' but it's way up there.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:28 AM

28,355 posts, read 16,288,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
All those flowery words in practice advocate left-politics. " Our Unitarian Universalist commitment to social justice fuels our advocacy for comprehensive sexuality education; economic justice; environmental justice; equality for bisexual, gay, lesbian, and transgender (BGLT) people and their families; gender equality; immigrant rights; and other important causes which Unitarian Universalists and UUA congregations support."

Whether one agrees or not with UU policy positions, to deny or become defensive over them being classified as 'left' is absurd.

UU might not be the best example of what's really a social/political organization being called a 'religion,' but it's way up there.
No more "left" than the teachings of Christ, right?

Helping the poor, love thy neighbor, judge not, etc. Seems very familiar....

Or are they only "left" because they actually try to implement those ideas in their communities, instead of just paying them lip-service?

Old 09-15-2011, 09:38 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,476,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
No more "left" than the teachings of Christ, right?

Helping the poor, love thy neighbor, judge not, etc. Seems very familiar....

Or are they only "left" because they actually try to implement those ideas in their communities, instead of just paying them lip-service?
I didn't know jesus took a position on immigrant 'rights,' gay marriage, tax codes, sex education, oil drilling, or a passel of other UU causes. Even if he did, no matter to me. In today's world, their positions are known as 'left.'

Old 09-15-2011, 09:46 AM

28,355 posts, read 16,288,985 times
Neverminding the fact that several of those topics didn't even exist during the time Jesus supposedly walked the earth. They can easily be linked to the sentiment that Jesus was said to have taught. No?

Old 09-16-2011, 08:16 AM

17,697 posts, read 15,410,768 times
As a fallen Jew (maybe fallen isn't the right word...I was raised Jewish but never connected with it and don't practice it), I attended a UU church in California for a little while back in the 90s. I liked my experiences there for the most part. It felt very melting-potish. I didn't join the church, but I attended for awhile and explored.

For me it's about community and connection. I want to connect with other people, but I don't recognize Christ as God, so attending a Christian church is not going to work for me. I'm still searching, although not very much and not very hard.

I'm a spiritual person who believes in something greater, but doesn't believe in any one set of dogmatic rules versus some other set. I also don't think God lives in a building with stained glass windows and that's the only place I can access his/her/its energy and wisdom. The UU principles are the ones that make the most sense to me in a general sense. Frankly, if I could just be around people who practice what their churches preach I'd be a happy camper. Acceptance, loving, a non-judgmental heart, and generosity. Yeah, that'd be nice.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:13 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,791,632 times
I agree with UU's about most social and political matters, but when I go to church, I want to focus on religion, and they don't do that much. There are more atheists and agnostics at UU "churches" than there are believers, and too many of the sermons are really liberal political calls to action. If I want that, I can attend the local Democratic party fundraiser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality