U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 07:44 AM

7,654 posts, read 6,115,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Because humans 3400 years ago were just as easily manipulated as a few are today?
Of course if you don't believe the Bible. Naturally you would not believe it's commands. And thus living a pure life before God would be of little importance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 07:57 AM

15,571 posts, read 7,453,106 times
Well, I guess the sad truth is that for some, their prejudice against homosexuals runs very deep and they feel that they are perfectly justified in feeling this way. I think as generations go by - this will change. At least that is my hope. The world will be a better place when we can all treat each other like human beings. Love thy neighbor - that is a positive that I can take from religion.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:00 AM

15,036 posts, read 4,663,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
The condemning of temple prostitutes resulted in God giving them over to their VILE AFFECTIONS. And those vile affections were (AGAINST NATURE). The men left the natural use of woman. Thus they went with the UNNATURAL USE to have sex with other men. It's so obvious, that only the spiritually blind could miss it. When obvious truth can be ignored to such an extent. It's a very sad thing. Men having sex with other men has everything to do with homosexuallity. And the Bible clearly tells us this act is unnatural and vile.
You are reading from an English interpretation. Try going back to the original Hebrew and Greek.

It's a very sad thing, only the spiritually blind could miss it and think that this was condemning all gays and lesbians rather than the idolatrous worshipping practices of fertility gods and godesses common in Paul's 1st century Rome and Corinth.

You didn't bother to read Rafius's link did you?

Also - Men having sex with men does not necessarily mean they are "homosexual". The orgiastic sex practices also involved drugs/wine where everyone was having sex with everyone.

Also -Heterosexual men have used rape of other men for thousands of years to humiliate them by treating them as women. Think about what happens to "fresh meat" in prisons today. Think about the story of Lot and the visiting angels.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:00 AM

27,459 posts, read 21,135,869 times
Quote:
Clearly Romans 1:27-28 tells us that men having sex with other men is against nature, and is vile. The Scripture tells us that men left the natural use of woman to have sex with other men. That was the punishment for such rituals. If homosexual sex was ok. Why does the New Testament view sex with other men as vile and unnatural?

And why does Liviticus 20:13 tell us that men that have sex with other men should be put to death?

Clearly, both the Old and New Testaments condem the pratice. And I would say men having sex with other man has a lot to do with homosexuals. And only the delusional would deny that.
Didn't read anywhere in the bible that woman sleeping with woman was bad...

Old 04-21-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Clearly Romans 1:27-28 tells us that men having sex with other men is against nature, and is vile. The Scripture tells us that men left the natural use of woman to have sex with other men. That was the punishment for such rituals. If homosexual sex was ok. Why does the New Testament view sex with other men as vile and unnatural?

And why does Liviticus 20:13 tell us that men that have sex with other men should be put to death?

Clearly, both the Old and New Testaments condem the pratice. And I would say men having sex with other man has a lot to do with homosexuals. And only the delusional would deny that.
It might be nice to see some evidence that you have actually studied the Bible instead of parroting stock verses that have been taken completley out of context to condemn modern gays and lesbians.

So far, I have seen zero evidence of you having any sort of awareness of the original contexts or languages in which the Bible was written. You are being blinded (and deluded) by your prejudice.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
You are reading from an English interpretation. Try going back to the original Hebrew and Greek.

It's a very sad thing, only the spiritually blind could miss it and think that this was condemning all gays and lesbians rather than the idolatrous worshipping practices of fertility gods and godesses common in Paul's 1st century Rome and Corinth.

You didn't bother to read Rafius's link did you?

Also - Men having sex with men does not necessarily mean they are "homosexual". The orgiastic sex practices also involved drugs/wine where everyone was having sex with everyone.

Also -Heterosexual men have used rape of other men for thousands of years to humiliate them by treating them as women. Think about what happens to "fresh meat" in prisons today. Think about the story of Lot and the visiting angels.
The pratice of men having sex with other men is stated to be unnatural and vile according to Romans. Nor does the passage in Romans say anything about men being raped. It clearly states they had lust for one another. Nor does the Bible in the passage speak of wine or drugs. It speaks of men having sex with other men. No matter how much you insert you personal beliefs and ideas. Clearly the Bible speaks only of the vile and unnatural use of men having sex with other men. And yes I did read Rafius's link, and I was not impressed. And I will ask this question again. Why in Romans does it say that men having sex with other men is both vile and unnatural?

Old 04-21-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No doubt he'll try to point to Paul's letter to the Romans. However Paul never said that women in these pagan temples were having sex with women -just that they were engaging in sex practices that were not acceptable. Which in Paul's view would be anything outside of submissive vaginal procreative sex - such as being on top, using leather dildos on men, being anally penetrated by men etc.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
The pratice of men having sex with other men is stated to be unnatural and vile according to Romans. Nor does the passage in Romans say anything about men being raped. It clearly states they had lust for one another. Nor does the Bible in the passage speak of wine or drugs. It speaks of men having sex with other men. No matter how much you insert you personal beliefs and ideas. Clearly the Bible speaks only of the vile and unnatural use of men having sex with other men. And yes I did read Rafius's link, and I was not impressed.
I wasn't referring to Romans when I mentioned rape. I was referring to the fact that you think only homosexual men have sex with other men. History tells us that this in not true.

You keep using the words "vile and unnatural" - that's not what the original Greek words meant.

If you had read anything about the cult practices of the first century (pr previous centuroes) you would know that wine/drugs/sex were used in their worshipping practices. Sex and drugs had been used to worship fertilty gods and goddesses for thousands of years.

You are the one inserting your personal beliefs and blindly parroting the beliefs of others. And you have clearly never even looked at the original Greek of Paul's letter or know anything about the culture in which he wrote the letter. You obviously haven't even read the whole letter because you have missed the whole point of it.

People who cling to prejudices such as yours, and misuse the biblical texts to try to support thei prejudice, are the ones who are "spiritually blind".

Old 04-21-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Then you did not read Romans 1:26

For this cause god gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And like wise also the men, leaving the natural use of women, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:27 AM

10,010 posts, read 11,469,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I didn't think it was any better than any of the other hateful posts. I guess I'm maybe just slow on the uptake, but to me, one kind of bigotry is really no better than another. I don't see how anybody can justify hatred of entire groups of people, be they straight, gay, Black, White, Christian, Muslim, male, female or anything else. People are people and there are good and bad within every group. Fighting bigotry with more bigotry just doesn't seen like a very rational response to me.
I thought the venting was awesome, about time too. The spewing of hateful remarks about gay people is getting old and tired and I am tired of all the PC responses. Sometimes all sunshine and roses responses are not going to get any point across or wake anyone up. There was nothing bigoted about his post, just calling out the hate filled ramblings of some on here. Given them a taste of their own medicine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality