Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 11:45 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I came to two basic conclusions about god a while ago:
1. there is no god
2. god wants us to go it alone... life is basically a "hands off" learning experience.

You do realize that number 2 contradicts number 1, don't you? If you are decidedly certain that there is not god, why bother questioning why God seems so aloof? Why rail against god abandoning us when you feel so certain that he doesn't exist?

I've already stated my opinion, but I'll say this much again: There is more purpose in getting us to exercise faith than "just because God feels like it." God Our Father is trying to teach us something that can't be learned if he carries us non-stop. Faith is perhaps one of the most misunderstood concepts in all religion. There's more to it than simply believing. There's an active exertion and there's some very real power in it. It's very much like a muscle that's is drastically under-utilized by most of us. God wants to teach us how to tap into the power that is both in Him and within each of us, and faith is how we can tap into that power. Living in a world where we can't see him is the only way we can begin to learn faith.

It's like teaching a baby to walk. You'll never succeed if you carry the baby everywhere and never put him down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 11:54 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post

It's like teaching a baby to walk. You'll never succeed if you carry the baby everywhere and never put him down.
You can't teach a baby to walk if you cut off its legs..

Old 04-22-2011, 11:58 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,001,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Please enlighten me.

Evolution is related to the origin of the species, not life itself, and abiogenesis has not yet come to any conclusion about WHY proteins and nucleic acids suddenly become "living." They may be able to replicate things in a petri dish, but they can't explain why it happens.

Better yet, they can't explain why it happened orginially, back in the dawn of creation, without any fancy laboratory equipment. But, it obviously did happen, didn't it?

My answers were given in response to your question of how did life begin.If you don't want to do the work to understand the theories,then that's fine.I am just suggesting that if you are not asking a rhetorical question,then the material on both subjects is available to those who wish avail themselves of it.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Because scientific advances and theories have nothing to do with religion. Science builds on previous knowledge, either by proving or disproving it. In fact, disproving something can be more informative than proving something.

When theoretical physicists do what they do, they are not ignoring all the science and evidence that has come before. Rather they are taking hints and bits and pieces of things we do know, and trying to puzzle them together in some order that can be tested, and which makes some sort of sense.

On the other hand, you have humans that have invented gods by simply pulling them out of their collective asses, for which proof has been sought for millenia and never discovered for ANY deity. Bit of a difference there.
We're not comparing science and religion per se,but the hypothesizing that each does.Science has no proof of multiple universes,yet scientists theorize about them without hard proof of their existence.That is my whole point.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:07 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Default Which came first the chicken or the egg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
But, isn't that the question the "God is in us" people ultimately have to answer?

If God isn't a separate being, it must follow that He's simply a result of some spontaneous, evolutionary event, right? If so, what caused it? What preceeded it? When did it occur?

If that's not so, then He must exist outside human beings and that means they're wrong and must do something about this external being called God, even if that's only to deny His reality.
We can feel the presence of those we love, even though they may live many miles away from us and/or they have died. [edit] They are as His is, 'in us'.

There isn't a precede to God as He is the Alpha. The attempts of man to rationalize and induce reasoning that precludes God only shows man's in ability to obtain a higher understanding, that of God. Man is inept in his attempts to do so. So the denial of His reality, becomes the next best thing to do.

Man is born, he lives his life, then he dies. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, his body returns to the earth, to feed the plants of the earth, the plants then feed the animals.

Great plan when you think about it as nature/animals existed on earth before man. Man came into being as an after thought in the finish up work in the design of evolutionary...replenishment of nature, of mother earth.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 04-22-2011 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 04-22-2011, 01:05 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
You do realize that number 2 contradicts number 1, don't you? If you are decidedly certain that there is not god, why bother questioning why God seems so aloof? Why rail against god abandoning us when you feel so certain that he doesn't exist?

No contradictions here... it's gotta be one or the other. Provided such a god is generally good, fair and concerned with us, any other religious group's claims can be proven as contradictory, impossible or otherwise bogus.

Do you have any kids? My wife I and helped our babies learn to walk. We held their hands, encouraged loved, hugged cheered, ect.

If god is teaching us faith, he's doing it by kicking us down a cactus covered hill naked that is swarming with hungry coyotes and rattlesnakes. He then calls, barely audible over the blowing wind to come back up the hill.

Last edited by Chango; 04-22-2011 at 02:29 PM..

Old 04-22-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post

There isn't a precede to God as He is the Alpha. The attempts of man to rationalize and induce reasoning that precludes God only shows man's in ability to obtain a higher understanding, that of God. Man is inept in his attempts to do so. So the denial of His reality, becomes the next best thing to do.

You speak as if you believe that atheists deep down believe,but choose to ignore it.When most religions teach punishment for disbelief,this claim makes as much sense as a guy standing on a train track watching a train barrel down on him choosing to believe the train doesn't really exist and isn't about to run him over.As Larry the Cable guy says,that's like wiping before you poop.It doesn't make any sense.Why would anyone deny what they deep down believe if such denial gets them eternal punishment?

And if man is inept in his attempts to understand God,who's fault is that,the guy born without that ability,or the Being demanding understanding and belief?

Old 04-22-2011, 01:59 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
You speak as if you believe that atheists deep down believe,but choose to ignore it.When most religions teach punishment for disbelief,this claim makes as much sense as a guy standing on a train track watching a train barrel down on him choosing to believe the train doesn't really exist and isn't about to run him over.As Larry the Cable guy says,that's like wiping before you poop.It doesn't make any sense.Why would anyone deny what they deep down believe if such denial gets them eternal punishment?

And if man is inept in his attempts to understand God,who's fault is that,the guy born without that ability,or the Being demanding understanding and belief?
You're right, that is exactly what I'm saying. Man didn't come from the dust of the earth, a robot without the ability to make choices for himself.

Demanding an understanding leads to the emotion of anger...which makes the ability to obtain, understanding...a wee bit more difficult.

We are our own worst enemy.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
You're right, that is exactly what I'm saying. Man didn't come from the dust of the earth, a robot without the ability to make choices for himself.

Demanding an understanding leads to the emotion of anger...which makes the ability to obtain, understanding...a wee bit more difficult.

We are our own worst enemy.
To make such a claim is nonsensical,but go ahead if you wish to be shown so.As I have said repeatedly,but will repeat omne more time for YOUR benefit,people don't deny the obvious.To say they do is silly.When is the last time you ran across someone who denied the existence of the Sun,moon,or gravity?Think instead of mouthing platitudes.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:09 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,209,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
LOL.That answer says a lot about you.

What's to study?

Evolution
Abiogenesis.
I am constantly amazed that adults, who have adult thought-processes when dealing with virtually every subject they deal with, can suddenly drop their mindset and thinking and logic to that of a small child when discussing their fables and dieties. It is amazing that they can blaze right past all the convoutions, inconsistencies, and outright stupidity of their dogma in their headlong lust for avoiding death, and having an eternal life - neither of which any of them will ever receive.

It like suddently dropping a modern PC down to the 4.77 khz clock speed of the original IBM PC.

How do they ignore the logial faux pas of their belief, and believe the most ludicrous things. Its as if grown adults started believing, I mean really and fully believing in Santa Clause as a 6-year old does.

I mean really, angels, devils, man and dino's living together on he Ark.

Please, give it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality