Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 01:24 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
To the OP:

When I was deaf and blind, people used to come up to me all the time and offer to pray for me or ask me if I had Jesus in my heart and would invite me to their church and so on and so forth. Some people even put their hands on my ears and eyes without my permission and just started praying for me. I ended up having to realize it's more about them than me. If it makes them feel better, so be it. It's about them, not you. Just let them do their thing and then move on. When you make it a big deal, you give it more meaning than it needs to have. They're just trying to be what they believe is nice, kind, and loving. Even though it's presumptuous, try to remember their intentions are pure. At least they're not beating you up or insulting you or mocking you. They are just trying to be kind to you in the way they know best.
We have a phrase for people like that, we call them....U-na-s-ti-s-gi A-si-yv-di ( meaning, crazy person).....

Last edited by june 7th; 04-28-2011 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 06:34 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
No he didn't, but I do find it extremely disturbing that religion has the power to cause so many people to pratice this mental self mutilation of their own mind and personal views of their self-worth, or more accurately self-worthlessness. Deliberate self-injury, whether mental or physical harms society as a whole.
A.N. We agree. Why debate a post from a person so incendiary? Jesus cared about people. Not so, alot of those who pretend to use his words. So very sad. Jesus didnt promote hatred.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:29 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,209,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
OK, if you want it rephrased, Jesus did not die for you, He died in your place.

If you, having life in the physical also had eternal death abiding in you.

The exchange? One for the other.

Your sentence of eternal death has been "Forfeited" in place of "life".

Simply, out of your hands. Completely done by God Himself.

Now, should you get wind of it, and believe it, you shall have an early start rather than wait till this life is over to collect.

Where as, having started early, your life would be so much enriched; you'd be amongst the rich of us, full of life, free from death.

Blessings, AJ
It seems like he was and Indian "die-er" because as myth has it, he came back to life to sit with his pop (who is also, himself).

Old 04-24-2011, 08:17 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
A.N. We agree. Why debate a post from a person so incendiary? Jesus cared about people. Not so, alot of those who pretend to use his words. So very sad. Jesus didnt promote hatred.
Because it might ring true in the mind of others that read it. Reality is, when that level of belief babble is exhibited they are beyond the reach of reason, but that doesn't mean everyone reading is beyond reason.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:44 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post

Yet the examples that I cited were done in the name of the church and christianity. Well intentioned? More like stamp out any who did not conform to a certain set of beliefs. Killing in the name of "god" is not the same as praying in the name of love no matter how you try to spin it.

Their intentions are to try to bully you into what they consider conformity. After all, they feel themselves to be the only ones who have it right so you must conform. To them, that is what matters most.

When these religious claiming types do horrible things in the name of their religion, they are not trying to be "nice". Some are decent people (usually the ones who do not try to force their views on you) and some are just plain in it for the power.

Your argument lacks credence. Let it go.
Honestly I think you're imposing malicious intentions on a bunch of people that are just not maliciously intended. Yes, there are people who commit crime and violence in the name of religion, but there are plenty of good-hearted loving people that are religious and just trying to be nice in their own way. I know it's obnoxious but it's important to try to put yourself in their shoes for a minute. Understanding that the bystander on the sidewalk or the customer at McDonald's is trying to be a nice human being and doesn't realize they are pushing their agenda on you makes the world just a little easier to live in.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
We have a phrase for people like that, we call them....U-na-s-ti-s-gi A-si-yv-di ( meaning, crazy person).....
I agree, they are nuts, but at the end of the day, they are just trying to be what they believe is kind and loving. No need for me to demonize them just cause their behavior is annoying. Their intentions are still pure.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:48 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,553,504 times
Quote:
Honestly I think you're imposing malicious intentions on a bunch of people that are just not maliciously intended. Yes, there are people who commit crime and violence in the name of religion, but there are plenty of good-hearted loving people that are religious and just trying to be nice in their own way. I know it's obnoxious but it's important to try to put yourself in their shoes for a minute. Understanding that the bystander on the sidewalk or the customer at McDonald's is trying to be a nice human being and doesn't realize they are pushing their agenda on you makes the world just a little easier to live in.
So according to you, all who do not share their beliefs must forgive them for the intrusions and give them the understanding that they do not exhibit? Not malicious? Hardly.

Additionally, we must consider their point of view while they ignore ours. How very christian.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:49 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,553,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I agree, they are nuts, but at the end of the day, they are just trying to be what they believe is kind and loving. No need for me to demonize them just cause their behavior is annoying. Their intentions are still pure.
No, their intentions are not pure. Unless by pure you mean to make everyone abide by their rules and beliefs. Not going to happen.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post

So according to you, all who do not share their beliefs must forgive them for the intrusions and give them the understanding that they do not exhibit? Not malicious? Hardly.
I fail how to see praying for someone's health and well-being is malicious. Annoying--yes--and you can find posts of mine on this website complaining about it after it happened. But were they trying to be mean or obnoxious? No. They didn't realize they were being obnoxious. They were sincere and really wanted to pray for my health and well-being. That totally beats funeral picketing and suicide bombers IMO.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:23 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
A good friend is seriously ill.

You can pray for them and check off "caring is done" and continue on with your life.

or

You can fix meals, mow their yard, drive family to the hospital, visit the ill, etc. etc. You know actually DO something for the family.

Two hands working accomplishes more than thousands clasped in prayer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality