Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 04:11 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
wow -- sorry - my crystal ball is in the shop for its 1000 year twinkified tune up

OMG .... taxes! ... and your point is what?

Your claim that the minimum wage is $7.25 does not account for taxes. People working at $7.25 an hour NET $5 an hour. I know, I worked for that amount before.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:36 AM

927 posts, read 1,459,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Your claim that the minimum wage is $7.25 does not account for taxes. People working at $7.25 an hour NET $5 an hour. I know, I worked for that amount before.
quit twisting what I said - you are wrong!

FACT:
SINGLE 0 Deductions or MARRIED 2 Deductions: if you work for just one hour you clear $6.84 - that is 41-cents deducted for FICA
try FACTS ... not delusional nonsense!

many of you liberals seem to use lies and deceit just to act like you know something - even when you don't.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:33 AM

you people keep looking toward being codependent enablers - You feed slothful manors, actions, and behaviors of those who have lost self respect based on accomplishments.

Like the above post by TKramar where they said:
Quote:
I know, I worked for that amount before.
If you are a person like TKramar ....
  1. You may be a kid
  2. you may not know how to get out of the minimum wage rut
  3. you have such low self esteem that you can not see your self worth much more than that.

Some of these responses are too hilarious.

You people over think the scriptures.

Try keeping this in mind when you attempt to justify incorrect actions:
Quote:
Mar 10:15 - Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.
... notice it DOES NOT SAY receive the kingdom of God as a professor.

Look at the flagrant attempts to twist the words I have said ... like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
Gosh, if that's what your Bible teaches, I'm sure glad I don't believe a word of it.
let me get this straight ... you don't believe a word of it - yet you ARE IN a Religious section?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavemaster View Post
With CA minimum wage at $8, that comes to $1280 a month. Here in the Bay Area, that will rent you a studio apt and, if you're lucky, leave you with maybe $200 a month to buy food, clothes, bus fare, etc. You try living like that some time. It's not easy.
... no one sees the ironic result of the Haight & Ashbury liberal movement where they were against the man and his MONEY MACHINE!
... now burdened in such elaborate expenses Now in one of the most expensive parts of the country! ... the hypocrisy of a people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Let's just hope someone doesn't start making lists of modern-day activities that "aren't supported Biblically."
... and your point is what? You do realize that this topic is in Religion and Philosophy - right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Guess all those children in poverty ought to go get jobs....... Is this your real take on Christianity?
let me guess - your head is so deep in the sand that you can ONLY try to fish for some attack which is irrelevant in this particular topics direction ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
You seem to have overlooked a few relevant verses:

"Feed the hungry! Help those in trouble! Then your light will shine out from the darkness, and the darkness around you shall be as bright as day. And the Lord will guide you continually, and satisfy you with all good things, and keep you healthy too; and you will be like a well-watered garden, like an ever-flowing spring. Isaiah 58:10-11

But whoever has the world's goods, and beholds his brother in need and closes his heart against him, how does the love of God abide in him? 1 John 3:17

He who gives to the poor will never want, but he who shuts his eyes will have many curses. Proverbs 28:27

And the crowds asked [John the Baptist], "What then should we do?" In reply he said to them, "Whoever has two coats must share with anyone who has none; and whoever has food must do likewise." Luke 3:10-11

Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” Matthew 19:21 ESV

Now the full number of those who believed were of one heart and soul, and no one said that any of the things that belonged to him was his own, but they had everything in common. ... There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were owners of lands or houses sold them and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to each as any had need. Acts 4:32-35 ESV

"When you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap to the very edges of your field, nor shall you gather the gleanings of your harvest. You shall not strip your vineyard bare, or gather the fallen grapes of your vineyard; you shall leave them for the poor and the alien: I am the LORD your God". Leviticus 19:9-10
WOW!!! ... you searched a FEW verses!

You see your LAST ONE - Leviticus 19:9-10?

... you still failed to see what I am saying?

They were NOT handed the food in a bag or box - they had to get in the field and pick it themselves ... they STILL had to apply themselves to get it.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:46 AM

Default instead of giving a fish, show them how to fish ...

Quote:
Pro 12:24 - The hand of the diligent shall bear rule: but the slothful shall be under tribute.

Pro 19:15 - Slothfulness casteth into a deep sleep; and an idle soul shall suffer hunger.

Pro 21:25 - The desire of the slothful killeth him; for his hands refuse to labour.
You don't see the common denominator here?

You people are supporting lazy behavior - sure people need help from time to time!

The end result is understandable - the path is wrong

So long as that is wrong - the poor stay poor

The point is that by working to meet their own needs it allows them to have dignity!

Dignity makes for a stronger community! .... how is THAT WRONG?

Old 04-26-2011, 08:15 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Ok here ya go, In Colorado at minimum wage this is what you get as single

Hourly Paycheck Calculator
Your Pay Check Results

Weekly Gross Pay
$314.00

Federal Withholding
$32.87

Social Security
$13.19

Medicare
$4.55

Colorado
$13.00

Net Pay
$250.39

Sorry 1000 a month and trying to pay rent, food, gas or bus, electricity, phone ( which sorry you need to have) just not going to make it.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Ok here ya go, In Colorado at minimum wage this is what you get as single

Hourly Paycheck Calculator
Your Pay Check Results

Weekly Gross Pay
$314.00

Federal Withholding
$32.87

Social Security
$13.19

Medicare
$4.55

Colorado
$13.00

Net Pay
$250.39

Sorry 1000 a month and trying to pay rent, food, gas or bus, electricity, phone ( which sorry you need to have) just not going to make it.
who is at fault for the low wage? ... who shoulders the blame there?

are you saying to bail out the wrong move? ... or teach them to correct it?

What about people like me? Why can't they be like me?
  1. was a habitual homeless person from about 1974 until about 1996
  2. have a 9th grade schooling
  3. when I got off the street that is designed to keep you down - I started my own business (I retired almost 7 years ago) and I am now going on 53.

here is the FACT - no matter what income the poor make - the lowest wage is STILL the bottom!

... that is reality.

... are you wanting to go to a burger joint and buy a sandwich with no fries and drink for $15.00?
Why don't people like you tip those fast food employee's a 10 spot?
after all - they are part the needy!

Old 04-26-2011, 09:12 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Quote:
who is at fault for the low wage? ... who shoulders the blame there?

are you saying to bail out the wrong move? ... or teach them to correct it?

What about people like me? Why can't they be like me?
  1. was a habitual homeless person from about 1974 until about 1996
  2. have a 9th grade schooling
  3. when I got off the street that is designed to keep you down - I started my own business (I retired almost 7 years ago) and I am now going on 53.

here is the FACT - no matter what income the poor make - the lowest wage is STILL the bottom!

... that is reality.

... are you wanting to go to a burger joint and buy a sandwich with no fries and drink for $15.00?
Why don't people like you tip those fast food employee's a 10 spot?
after all - they are part the needy!
What kind of weird rant is this?! My brother was homeless with a job, dropped out of school in the 8th grade, he had a learning disability he couldn't deal with, got into trouble and went to jail, now works making 13 dollars an hour, he is 46.

How do you know when or how much I tip. And who is people like me? I worked a dead end minimum wage job while raising my son ( whom I had at 17), went back to school and worked my rear off till I had two degrees. I feel for people having to live off minimum wage, because they cant. Oh and I think companies say like McDonald's and Walmart can afford to pay more, but greed is hard to pass up. The poor need help, since the greedy companies dont want to pay a decent livable wage, there needs to be more programs for people needing help to get out.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:16 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
gleaning was a great idea

unfortunately our current patterns of urban development and of agriculture do not make it a feasible way to feed the poor.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
gleaning was a great idea

unfortunately our current patterns of urban development and of agriculture do not make it a feasible way to feed the poor.
that is true!

However - there is another way which can correct the system as we know it.

(I just like to play cat & mouse with schooled people who learned what to think instead of how to think)

here is what I think the solution should be.
NOTICE - no one was insightful enough to ask
what other way could be a viable alternative
HERE IS THE PROBLEM:

People who need food banks and soup kitchens are a part of the COMMUNITY
... but like all of hyphenated America - they are isolated into an incorrect specific group.

SIMPLE REASONING SAYS: THEY ARE IN NEED! ... we ALL agree on that!

However - people FAIL to accept JUSTICE when JUST US is the objective.

Consider this (strictly hypothetical)

in general there are X number of dollars available for non profits based on social willingness to donate.
Let's call that "X" the loaf of bread which feed the multitudes.
No matter how many mouths you need to feed - it is ONE LOAF!
the Biblical parable of the bread and fish Jesus feed the multitudes with is an excellent example of this.
One had bread and one had fish
now - in our society - people have different needs.
The logical move is to feed the self respect of those in need while pairing them up with each other.
LIKE THIS:
  • Mrs. Jones is alone and on a fixed income. She needs the trim on her house painted to protect it from weather damage.
    Bud Johnson hasn't seen a pay raise in 5 years and everything is costing a LOT MORE.
    He has a choice - buy milk for the kids breakfast or pay part of a utility bill. KID FIRST! Hands down!
    However; Bud does have time on Saturday to paint the Mrs. Jones trim so he can make up some of the utility bill.
    SO - this is combining the bread with the fish!
  • Linda has 2 kids and no babysitter - Tanya has a kid and no job. Linda pays Tanya to babysit.
    That is put the bread and fish together and both are helping each other as a COMMUNITY.

Hasn't anyone noticed that all these non profits are so busy begging that they do not have those in need taking responsibility for themselves?
All these COLLEGE EDUCATED PEOPLE and NO ONE see's how this is a chronic state of enabling and codependency?
No one has learned how that is bad for OUR SOCIETY and everyone in it?

Old 04-26-2011, 10:28 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
The logical move is to feed the self respect of those in need while pairing them up with each other.
lots of non profits engage in things OTHER than feeding - including training, help getting jobs, etc

jewish vocational services - Google Search

However, when that hasn't worked, or hasn't worked YET, for whatever reason, we don't let people starve, nor should we.

Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the fetters of wickedness, to undo the bands of the yoke, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? ז הֲלוֹא פָרֹס לָרָעֵב לַחְמֶךָ, וַעֲנִיִּים מְרוּדִים תָּבִיא בָיִת: כִּי-תִרְאֶה עָרֹם וְכִסִּיתוֹ, וּמִבְּשָׂרְךָ לֹא תִתְעַלָּם. 7 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him, and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh? ח אָז יִבָּקַע כַּשַּׁחַר אוֹרֶךָ, וַאֲרֻכָתְךָ מְהֵרָה תִצְמָח; וְהָלַךְ לְפָנֶיךָ צִדְקֶךָ, כְּבוֹד יְהוָה יַאַסְפֶךָ. 8 Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thy healing shall spring forth speedily; and thy righteousness shall go before thee, the glory of the LORD shall be thy rearward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality