U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-27-2011, 02:39 PM
 
5,187 posts, read 5,446,122 times
Reputation: 1612

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
His standpoint, oh I would LOVE to know how he got to the point of smashing babies heads in. The excuses believers make for this god is really unbelievable. Thou shall not kill, unless your a god.
Point to me in the bible where it says God Himself smashed babies heads in. Please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2011, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,730,276 times
Reputation: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Point to me in the bible where it says God Himself smashed babies heads in. Please

Calling for it is the same as doing it:

"The Lord" (the "god" of the Bible) and the prophet Isaiah, speaking directly on behalf of "The Lord," calls repeatedly for destruction and atrocity to be brought down on the peoples, including the small children, who have angered "The Lord." And, as in Isaiah, so Psalm 137 ends with this call for smashing to pieces the little ones of Babylon:

"O Babylon, you devastator,
Happy shall they be who pay
you back
what you have done to us!
Happy shall be they who take
your little ones
and dash them against the rock!"


Take a gander at just a few of the atrocities your god does

Bible Atrocities: Atrocities in the Bible

This is a good one as well

Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.

But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

Oh and another dandy

And the LORD said unto Moses, Take all the heads of the people, and hang them up before the LORD against the sun, that the fierce anger of the LORD may be turned away from Israel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2011, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,078 posts, read 17,112,903 times
Reputation: 7707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
His standpoint, oh I would LOVE to know how he got to the point of smashing babies heads in. The excuses believers make for this god is really unbelievable. Thou shall not kill, unless your a god.
I'm not making excuses. I'm merely pointing out that none of us know why He does the things He does (though we might be able to figure it out), any more than we know why some other person does what he does. We don't have access to the inner workings of anyones mind, especially God's, nor do we know their history, their genetics or any one of a thousand other things which drive their behavior. We only perceive what they do and make judgments based upon our own, limited understanding and personal beliefs.

Is that a valid exercise? Can we truly say, definitively, that we completely and totally understand why people do what people do? Can we say that about God?

No, of course we can't, but we tend to take upon ourselves the right to sit in judgment of their morality, when our own is questionable. Heck, we don't even fully understand our OWN motivations, let alone anyone elses!

The only thing we CAN do is judge their behavior in regards to the law, whether that law is Biblical or secular. Even a jury of our peers does not rule upon our morality, but only upon whether or not we broke the law. Which leads to this question: Can the law-giver be held accountable for the laws he created? Is he subject to the law he gave to others? If so, why? If not, why not?

And, by the way, Thou shalt not kill actually means Thou shalt not murder, or kill without just cause. That's the meaning of the Hebrew word translated as "kill."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2011, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,730,276 times
Reputation: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I'm not making excuses. I'm merely pointing out that none of us know why He does the things He does (though we might be able to figure it out), any more than we know why some other person does what he does. We don't have access to the inner workings of anyones mind, especially God's, nor do we know their history, their genetics or any one of a thousand other things which drive their behavior. We only perceive what they do and make judgments based upon our own, limited understanding and personal beliefs.

Is that a valid exercise? Can we truly say, definitively, that we completely and totally understand why people do what people do? Can we say that about God?

No, of course we can't, but we tend to take upon ourselves the right to sit in judgment of their morality, when our own is questionable. Heck, we don't even fully understand our OWN motivations, let alone anyone elses!

The only thing we CAN do is judge their behavior in regards to the law, whether that law is Biblical or secular. Even a jury of our peers does not rule upon our morality, but only upon whether or not we broke the law. Which leads to this question: Can the law-giver be held accountable for the laws he created? Is he subject to the law he gave to others? If so, why? If not, why not?

And, by the way, Thou shalt not kill actually means Thou shalt not murder, or kill without just cause. That's the meaning of the Hebrew word translated as "kill."
I dont see anything just about all the killing your God did, which came down to little more than murder. how do you know you are not worshiping an evil god that is no better than a satan and has fooled you all?

Laws can be overturned and protested against without the threat of death and eternal pain an suffering. This god is punishing people for something he created and knew was going to happen aka, Adam and Eve. That is nothing less than sadistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2011, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,078 posts, read 17,112,903 times
Reputation: 7707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Show me examples of the persecution you claim to be suffering.
I didn't say I was personally being persecuted. What I said was that the religion and atheist boards are full of threads debunking, criticizing, making fun of or questioning not only Christianity, but Christian's themselves.

Yes, some are legitimate areas of discussion, but others have no other apparent function than to open venues for criticism, humiliation, bigotry and intolerance toward Christians. At least, that's what they quickly turn into.

For instance, these are currently running:

Did Jesus Exist

William Lane Craig says genocide and infanticide are just dandy

No, Jesus didn't die for me so stop telling me that he did!

Another Crucifixon cover-up?

Did God Take Anger Management Classes?

why door-to-door proselytization is fundamentally offensive

Destruction of private property and skewed priorities.

The Skeptic's Bible/Quran

The Easter Smugness and fallacy


Now, please go over to the Christian boards and show me how many similar threads are running about atheists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2011, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,730,276 times
Reputation: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I didn't say I was personally being persecuted. What I said was that the religion and atheist boards are full of threads debunking, criticizing, making fun of or questioning not only Christianity, but Christian's themselves.

Yes, some are legitimate areas of discussion, but others have no other apparent function than to open venues for criticism, humiliation, bigotry and intolerance toward Christians. At least, that's what they quickly turn into.

For instance, these are currently running:

Did Jesus Exist

William Lane Craig says genocide and infanticide are just dandy

No, Jesus didn't die for me so stop telling me that he did!

Another Crucifixon cover-up?

Did God Take Anger Management Classes?

why door-to-door proselytization is fundamentally offensive

Destruction of private property and skewed priorities.

The Skeptic's Bible/Quran

The Easter Smugness and fallacy


Now, please go over to the Christian boards and show me how many similar threads are running about atheists.
Sorry to tell you a few of those were started by Christians, Like Campbell and Mr5150

I have seen plenty on the christian boards about us unbelievers needing saving!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2011, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,078 posts, read 17,112,903 times
Reputation: 7707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I dont see anything just about all the killing your God did, which came down to little more than murder. how do you know you are not worshiping an evil god that is no better than a satan and has fooled you all?
Because Satan opposes Him. Why would Satan oppose himself?

Quote:
Laws can be overturned and protested against without the threat of death and eternal pain an suffering. This god is punishing people for something he created and knew was going to happen aka, Adam and Eve. That is nothing less than sadistic.
No, not really. God won't punish anyone who doesn't chose that punishment because He gave us a way out of it: Jesus Christ. And, He only put us into this position to force us to chose or reject Christ. That's the whole purpose of creation, the purpose of it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2011, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,078 posts, read 17,112,903 times
Reputation: 7707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Sorry to tell you a few of those were started by Christians, Like Campbell and Mr5150

I have seen plenty on the christian boards about us unbelievers needing saving!!!!!!

Saying that atheists need to be saved is persecution? How and why? That's hardly the same as belittling their beliefs or attacking them, or their beliefs, with the venom you see here, is it? If so, how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2011, 04:34 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,730,276 times
Reputation: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Because Satan opposes Him. Why would Satan oppose himself?



No, not really. God won't punish anyone who doesn't chose that punishment because He gave us a way out of it: Jesus Christ. And, He only put us into this position to force us to chose or reject Christ. That's the whole purpose of creation, the purpose of it all.
I said like a Satan. Ever heard of a trickster, satan is suppose to be evil, getting kicks out of messing with people? When did this huge god against satan battle take place? I dont have any knowledge of one.

Jesus didnt die for me, I wasn't born yet, I didn't do anything wrong, nor did I ask Jesus to die for me ( not that type of person) or to be created for that matter.Would you punish your grand-kids and their kids for your kids booboos?.

Besides jesus didn't sacrifice ( nor did God sacrifice him) himself, he knew he would walk the earth again, so it wasn't really much of a sacrifice, a real sacrifice would be actually dying and staying dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2011, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,730,276 times
Reputation: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Saying that atheists need to be saved is persecution? How and why? That's hardly the same as belittling their beliefs or attacking them, or their beliefs, with the venom you see here, is it? If so, how?
Oh lets see what have I been told oh yea that, we are sinners, destined for hell, foolish, ignorant, blind, silly,dumb, hateful, arrogant, wrong, liars on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top