U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 10:20 AM

6,039 posts, read 9,283,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Why? Because He does things you don't approve of or don't understand?
Frankly, he doesn't do anything because he doesn't exist. But if he did, I contend that it's you people that blindly worship that don't understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 10:32 AM

465 posts, read 453,443 times
Quote:
I may see it as unethical from my, imperfect standpoint, but I cannot see it from His and neither can you. So, what gives any of us the right to sit in judgment of him? None of us are qualified to do so, are we? If so, HOW are we qualfied?
This is the classic cop out most christians like to use.

The good thing is when they use this excuse, it means something you said hit their moral fiber and they use this excuse as a way to ignore the obvious immoral actions of their god.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:49 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,213,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
This is the classic cop out most christians like to use.

The good thing is when they use this excuse, it means something you said hit their moral fiber and they use this excuse as a way to ignore the obvious immoral actions of their god.

Well, if you feel superior enough or moral enough to sit in judgment of others, especially God, please go right ahead.

I could quote the verse about specks and planks in eyes, but what would be the use?

Old 04-28-2011, 11:08 AM

9,415 posts, read 11,396,744 times
Quote:
Can you honestly say you're none of those? I can't.
No one is perfect but to say we're all sinners is pointless. We're simply all human with flaws.

I do have to point out though that your god created man in his own image supposedly. What does that say about your god? He's not a very good designer? He makes major gigantic mistakes in his creation, then blames his creation for it. That isn't a very logical god in my opinion.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:13 AM

6,039 posts, read 9,283,421 times
Quote:
Well, if you feel superior enough or moral enough to sit in judgment of others, especially God, please go right ahead.

I could quote the verse about specks and planks in eyes, but what would be the use?
I'm infinitely capable of sitting in moral judgment of an imaginary entity from a 2000 year old book of desert myths. Morals, after all, come from human beings, and your god was invented by ignorant, superstitious savages who were nevertheless humans. Since we invented the idea of god, we are well-suited to judge its supposed actions.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:22 PM

465 posts, read 453,443 times
Quote:

Hey don't flip it on me if you don't have the stones to say what's obvious...the obvious being that under any other circumstance (one that is outside of your biased worldview), the actions done by god as described in your myth wouldn't be morally right.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:37 PM

8,642 posts, read 10,411,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I'm infinitely capable of sitting in moral judgment of an imaginary entity from a 2000 year old book of desert myths. Morals, after all, come from human beings, and your god was invented by ignorant, superstitious savages who were nevertheless humans. Since we invented the idea of god, we are well-suited to judge its supposed actions.

So if you start with the assumption that god does not exist, you can judge him to be immoral. That seems pointless.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
"And, as in Isaiah, so Psalm 137 ends with this call for smashing to pieces the little ones of Babylon:

"O Babylon, you devastator,
Happy shall they be who pay
you back
what you have done to us!
Happy shall be they who take
your little ones
and dash them against the rock!"

I have relatives who survived auschwitz. I am sure some of them felt that way toward the Germans. I do not feel in the position to judge them for their feelings. The speakers in that Psalm are Jews who suffered horribly in 586 BCE. Their feelings are human.

The bible is the story of the spiritual journey of HUMANS, like us, toward G-d. It is moving and important BECAUSE of that.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post

Er, the moral fiber of believers (NOT NECESSARILY CHRISTIANS) was hit way back when the book of Job was written. Jews have been struggling with the injustice of the world and what that means for G-d for eons, without need for contributions from atheists, let alone from the current crop of shallow ones.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Frankly, he doesn't do anything because he doesn't exist. But if he did, I contend that it's you people that blindly worship that don't understand.
anyone who BLINDLY worships hasnt been paying attention to the works of Judaism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality