Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2018, 12:54 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,386,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
God is God. He gets to do what he wants when he wants, to whom he wants. He defines what is moral and what is not. Frankly, you don't have to like it. It's not even up for debate. He isn't subject to you.
None of the tyrannical murderous despots throughout history were answerable to anyone either. It came down to a personal choice of the people within their reach: do your best to stay in their good graces and live (for now), or stand up to them and die. What kind of life will you enjoy, BFun, knowing that your allegiance is to a tyrannical, murderous god?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 01:25 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
None of the tyrannical murderous despots throughout history were answerable to anyone either. It came down to a personal choice of the people within their reach: do your best to stay in their good graces and live (for now), or stand up to them and die. What kind of life will you enjoy, BFun, knowing that your allegiance is to a tyrannical, murderous god?
Except they were human beings.

God is God. Big difference. Go ahead. Stand up to God and see what it gets you.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:28 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,347,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Short version: When guilty people got killed, they deserved it because they were guilty and bad... and when innocent people got killed, even when innocent babies were killed, they went to Heaven, and it was all hunky dory in the end.

Respected Theologian William Lane Craig Defends Genocide and Infanticide (http://www.alternet.org/module/printversion/150742 - broken link)

...and Christians call atheists 'militant' when we speak up about this sort of crap. We're not the ones that justify bashing the heads of babies open on rocks, and we're not the ones justifying mass slaughter of defeated enemies.

It's crap like this, Christians, Jews and Muslims. This is why those of us you fallaciously label as 'militant atheists' speak out against you and your angry, hateful, murderous religions. This is why I became an anti-theist as well as an atheist. Call me 'militant' all you like, but let me tell you this: no words that I speak will ever kill someone. No phrase that I type will ever cause genocide.

Apologetically calling it "a different time" doesn't fly. If murder is wrong now, it was wrong then. If rape is wrong now, it was wrong then. If slavery is wrong now, it was wrong then. If genocide is wrong now, it was wrong then. If child-marriage is wrong now, it was wrong then. If pedophilia is wrong now, it was wrong then. If beating your wife is wrong now, it was wrong then.

If all of these things are wrong now, then the god in the bible was wrong to command them back then.
Maybe William Lane Craig should be forced to take a good look at "children that deserve to be dead."

Old 12-28-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Except they were human beings.

God is God. Big difference. Go ahead. Stand up to God and see what it gets you.
Humans that behaved just like your version of god, only on a lesser scale. And they also said their version of “Go ahead and stand up to me and see what it gets you.” It got those who did the knowledge that they were standing on the side of what was good. You won’t be able to say that if your version of god is true.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Humans that behaved just like your version of god, only on a lesser scale. And they also said their version of “Go ahead and stand up to me and see what it gets you.†It got those who did the knowledge that they were standing on the side of what was good. You won’t be able to say that if your version of god is true.
Except that they were sinful human beings, no better than the beings they acted on.

Again....when push comes to shove, you can thumb your nose at God all you want...you can act like a spoiled brat and call him names.....make fun of him, mock him and us, etc..etc.....

But he's God. He doesn't answer to you. Why would you expect him to? What kind of God do you believe he'd be if he bowed to a bunch of whiny, self-righteous created beings?

Old 12-28-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Except that they were sinful human beings, no better than the beings they acted on.

Again....when push comes to shove, you can thumb your nose at God all you want...you can act like a spoiled brat and call him names.....make fun of him, mock him and us, etc..etc.....

But he's God. He doesn't answer to you. Why would you expect him to? What kind of God do you believe he'd be if he bowed to a bunch of whiny, self-righteous created beings?
I do not thumb my nose at God. I know now that the version of god that you swear allegiance to (and which I also did) is not good and I believe it would be sinful of me, knowing this, to continue to align myself with it, even if I believed it to be true. Of course, if I did believe it to be true it would take a great deal more courage than I think I possess not to continue to kowtow to it in order to save my own skin. But I do think that it would end up being a hellish eternity anyway, existing with the knowledge that what I had chosen to worship was pure evil.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:36 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
I do not thumb my nose at God. I know now that the version of god that you swear allegiance to (and which I also did) is not good and I believe it would be sinful of me, knowing this, to continue to align myself with it, even if I believed it to be true. Of course, if I did believe it to be true it would take a great deal more courage than I think I possess not to continue to kowtow to it in order to save my own skin. But I do think that it would end up being a hellish eternity anyway, existing with the knowledge that what I had chosen to worship was pure evil.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
lol...yah...ok.

You sit here and judge him, saying he's immoral, as if you could do better. You know what he requires of you and you ignore it. You are just like the rest of humanity, and you were born at war with God.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What are you giving the thumbs up for, Jedi Master?

Old 12-28-2018, 02:45 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
What are you giving the thumbs up for, Jedi Master?
Something you go out of your way NOT to do - actually see clearly what kind of God you claim to believe in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality