Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2019, 08:49 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
The true colors of a person come out for all to see in two sets of interactions. 1) when the situation gets really hot and tense. 2) when there is no authority.

I never understood the 'all bad" angle as a disproof for a god.

any authority figure can be shown to be a dictator at times. I mean just list the 'dictator type stuff" I do to my children. I take the phone, I ground them, i make them do homework, I make them return the money to the store keeper.

"killing" bad people is the last, worst, option, but I don't see how its all evil and disproves a good god. Evolution wipes out many a life so that the next life form can "live".

maybe that's the best, most energy efficient, way.
So, the idea of God destroying every living thing other than what could fit on a boat would be energy efficient. And what was the evil they were doing? According to the new testament, they were eating and drinking, marrying and just going about their daily life. In the old testament, it doesn't give any indication what evil was being done, other than that "sons of God" were marrying "daughters of men". Yikes. Kill 'em. Kill 'em all.

Then there are the "enemies" of Israel. What did they do? They didn't turn over their land to the Israelites and they didn't worship the Israelites' God. Evil bastards. Kill 'em. Then there's the people who were offering their children as sacrifices to their gods, but the Israelites were guilty of the same thing, supposedly because all those other people were a bad influence on them. Kill everyone so there won't be any bad influences on "God's people" then. Of course, it never worked to kill everyone because "God's people" still managed to screw up all the time. So, what exactly did God accomplish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 08:54 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
I hope this is not a pathetic attempt to dismiss the abrahamic god who torments billions of his created beings for eternity in fire.
maat, its pathetic that you can't see what I meant. all I said was that I do not understand this angle for proving their god wrong. It just doesn't do it.

that abrahamic god no sooner condemned/tormented billions of people for eternity than I did my children by taking away their electronics for a month when they did poorly in school.

although they, like you, think it was an eternity. they, like you, think it was totally evil.

grow up maat.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
So, the idea of God destroying every living thing other than what could fit on a boat would be energy efficient. And what was the evil they were doing? According to the new testament, they were eating and drinking, marrying and just going about their daily life. In the old testament, it doesn't give any indication what evil was being done, other than that "sons of God" were marrying "daughters of men". Yikes. Kill 'em. Kill 'em all.

Then there are the "enemies" of Israel. What did they do? They didn't turn over their land to the Israelites and they didn't worship the Israelites' God. Evil bastards. Kill 'em. Then there's the people who were offering their children as sacrifices to their gods, but the Israelites were guilty of the same thing, supposedly because all those other people were a bad influence on them. Kill everyone so there won't be any bad influences on "God's people" then. Of course, it never worked to kill everyone because "God's people" still managed to screw up all the time. So, what exactly did God accomplish?
what I am saying is that this "all evil god" does not prove its not real. for me, when I list all the bads things their non existence god did I am forced to list all the good things it did also. I then am forced to compare notes.

lets pretend that the flood was literal. although there is no way I think that.

we are engineering a particular type of life. It appears we need to complete this lifeform in a series of steps. much like a child is formed in a series of steps. Those steps actually cause the child pain. mass extinction events actually helped in forming us. Thats what I am saying peloo.

what did this "god" accomplish?
I have to look around
I have to think about it.
he accomplished you.

if he was real that is, but he aint.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
what I am saying is that this "all evil god" does not prove its not real. for me, when I list all the bads things their non existence god did I am forced to list all the good things it did also. I then am forced to compare notes.

I don't think that either. But people like BFun, do.

Quote:
we are engineering a particular type of life. It appears we need to complete this lifeform in a series of steps. much like a child is formed in a series of steps. mass extinction events actually helped in forming us. Thats what I am saying peloo.

I have to look around
he accomplished you.

It didn't take God commanding a group of people to destroy other nations, nor planning a world-wide flood to wipe out all living things but a handful, in order for death to occur and evolution to take place.

But, I agree, it ain't real.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I don't think that either. But people like BFun, do.

It didn't take God commanding a group of people to destroy other nations, nor planning a world-wide flood to wipe out all living things but a handful, in order for death to occur and evolution to take place.

But, I agree, it ain't real.
thats right, god didn't do it.

claiming that the god of the old testament is all evil just doesn't match observation.

if he did the all the "evil" then by default he did all the 'good'.

that's it. that's where it stops for me.

BF has a point though. Humans are not in a position to decide that mass extinctions are wrong and evil. we don't know enough to make that statement. mass extinctions may be the only way for "life" to form from hydrogen.

Bf is wrong when he says god did it. because there is no BF god.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
thats right, god didn't do it.

claiming that the god of the old testament is all evil just doesn't match observation.

if he did the all the "evil" then by default he did all the 'good'.

that's it. that's where it stops for me.

BF has a point though. Humans are not in a position to decide that mass extinctions are wrong and evil. we don't know enough to make that statement. mass extinctions may be the only way for "life" to form from hydrogen.

Bf is wrong when he says god did it. because there is no BF god.
Humans are in a position to determine that a god who acts the way god is sometimes portrayed in the Bible and by some Christians is indeed evil.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:13 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times
Quote:
maat, its pathetic that you can't see what I meant. all I said was that I do not understand this angle for proving their god wrong. It just doesn't do it.

that abrahamic god no sooner condemned/tormented billions of people for eternity than I did my children by taking away their electronics for a month when they did poorly in school.

although they, like you, think it was an eternity. they, like you, think it was totally evil.

grow up maat.
You are clearly minimizing the abusive power of a god/dictator. Of course, in reality, the abrahamic god hasn’t tormented billions for eternity. The condemnation is debatable. My point is that the abrahamic god has been attributed numerous immoral atrocities. With that said, the issue I have is less about this mythical god and more about the mindset of its followers. It is not healthy to believe/worship/praise and consider this god the ultimate moral being worthy to follow, real or not.

It says a lot about yourself when you attempt to marginalize evidences of evil.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:

we are engineering a particular type of life. It appears we need to complete this lifeform in a series of steps. much like a child is formed in a series of steps. Those steps actually cause the child pain. mass extinction events actually helped in forming us. Thats what I am saying peloo.

I have to look around
he accomplished you.

The abrahamic god has not been portrayed as a faulible scientist. This mythical being has been attributed or is believed to be all knowing and righteous. There is plenty of scriptures as evidence to the contrary.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
You are clearly minimizing the abusive power of a god/dictator. Of course, in reality, the abrahamic god hasn’t tormented billions for eternity. The condemnation is debatable. My point is that the abrahamic god has been attributed numerous immoral atrocities. With that said, the issue I have is less about this mythical god and more about the mindset of its followers. It is not healthy to believe/worship/praise and consider this god the ultimate moral being worthy to follow, real or not.

It says a lot about yourself when you attempt to marginalize evidences of evil.
I agree with you completely ... it’s the mindset that is concerning. But I don’t think arach is in any way marginalizing it. He’s saying, I believe, that it’s silly to call mass extinctions evil when they are simply a fact of our reality (not “goddunnit”).

Old 01-04-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I agree with you completely ... it’s the mindset that is concerning. But I don’t think arach is in any way marginalizing it. He’s saying, I believe, that it’s silly to call mass extinctions evil when they are simply a fact of our reality (not “goddunnit”).
He is leaving out many other horrific atrocities attributed this god. Of course, we don’t consider natural disasters as evil, but when willed/committed by a being, it is fair to do so. Also, it is nonsensical to associate the concept of ET with his grounding his children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality