Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2018, 02:46 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
lol...yah...ok.

You sit here and judge him, saying he's immoral, as if you could do better. You know what he requires of you and you ignore it. You are just like the rest of humanity, and you were born at war with God.
I do not believe God is immoral. I believe the things and nature attributed to God by my former/your current belief system portrays God as immoral and infinitely worse than any human despot. In other words, I don’t believe I could do better, I believe God IS better, incomparably better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 02:50 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I do not believe God is immoral. I believe the things and nature attributed to God by my former/your current belief system portrays God as immoral and infinitely worse than any human despot. In other words, I don’t believe I could do better, I believe a God IS better, incomparably better.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:51 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,721 times
Quote:
God is God. He gets to do what he wants when he wants, to whom he wants. He defines what is moral and what is not. Frankly, you don't have to like it. It's not even up for debate. He isn't subject to you.
Wow, this is an old thread!

This is not a bad argument per se, but it is problematic for you...
If God defines morality, then he is beyond it, it cannot be applied to him. Thus it means that God is by definition not good. He is simply powerful and can impose his will on others. Which is a fine way to view a god, I suppose.

The problem comes in when you are asked to trust in that god. Why should you? He is not a good god, he can lie, break his promises, and do whatever he wants, right? How can you believe that he will do what he has said he will do, when he cannot even be bothered to adhere to the same rules he demands of you? You are not to bear false witness, but you have explicitly said that you cannot count on God to follow the same rules! You cannot base it on "the character of God", you have just pointed out that God is amoral and capricious!

-NoCapo

Old 12-28-2018, 03:09 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Wow, this is an old thread!

This is not a bad argument per se, but it is problematic for you...
If God defines morality, then he is beyond it, it cannot be applied to him. Thus it means that God is by definition not good. He is simply powerful and can impose his will on others. Which is a fine way to view a god, I suppose.
Just as an "atheist" will tell you they are without belief, "amoral" would mean without moral --not moral, but not immoral. God is amoral. He is not subject to the rules that he defined for his creation.

So, you're argument is pointless.
Quote:

The problem comes in when you are asked to trust in that god. Why should you? He is not a good god, he can lie, break his promises, and do whatever he wants, right? How can you believe that he will do what he has said he will do, when he cannot even be bothered to adhere to the same rules he demands of you? You are not to bear false witness, but you have explicitly said that you cannot count on God to follow the same rules! You cannot base it on "the character of God", you have just pointed out that God is amoral and capricious!

-NoCapo
WHy? He's proven himself to be faithful to his people. He chose Abraham and he blessed Abraham and his generations after despite them not being faithful to him. He even blessed those nations that blessed him. He's hardly shown himself to be anything but faithful, kind, and loving, despite the judgment he gives to sinners that break his commandments.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:35 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
God is God. He gets to do what he wants when he wants, to whom he wants. He defines what is moral and what is not. Frankly, you don't have to like it. It's not even up for debate. He isn't subject to you.
Your God is a bumbling, boorish, cartoon character. It's less believable than Foghorn Leghorn. To fear it is childish foolishness.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:22 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Except that they were sinful human beings, no better than the beings they acted on.

Again....when push comes to shove, you can thumb your nose at God all you want...you can act like a spoiled brat and call him names.....make fun of him, mock him and us, etc..etc.....

But he's God. He doesn't answer to you. Why would you expect him to? What kind of God do you believe he'd be if he bowed to a bunch of whiny, self-righteous created beings?
Moderator cut: Personal attack It's the same sort of thinking that has been used for thousands of years to justify inhumanity to others....'We are doing it because it's what God wants.'

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 12-29-2018 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: Personal comment removed

Old 12-29-2018, 05:24 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
He’d be one to harm others in the name of jesus

What does being a spiritual warrior mean to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Someone capable of doing harm to another in gods name.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Moderator cut: Quote deleted
Moderator cut: Response to deleted quote
Quote:

It's the same sort of thinking that has been used for thousands of years to justify inhumanity to others....'We are doing it because it's what God wants.'
The person that tries to justify inhumanity to others by the Bible simply isn't reading it.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 12-29-2018 at 08:04 PM..

Old 12-30-2018, 12:03 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
Just as an "atheist" will tell you they are without belief, "amoral" would mean without moral --not moral, but not immoral. God is amoral. He is not subject to the rules that he defined for his creation.

So, you're argument is pointless.

WHy? He's proven himself to be faithful to his people. He chose Abraham and he blessed Abraham and his generations after despite them not being faithful to him. He even blessed those nations that blessed him. He's hardly shown himself to be anything but faithful, kind, and loving, despite the judgment he gives to sinners that break his commandments.
About six million of his people might strongly disagree with you.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I do not believe God is immoral. I believe the things and nature attributed to God by my former/your current belief system portrays God as immoral and infinitely worse than any human despot. In other words, I don’t believe I could do better, I believe God IS better, incomparably better.
You apparently don't have a clue what my actual belief system is. Nor do you understand humanity very well if you believe an all-powerful Sadam Hussein or any other tyrant would have been any more merciful than to die for humanity. Given the opportunity, any human despot would likely have eradicated the entire human race.

But hey, if your position is that Adolph Hitler was apparently just ok, and he was better than the God that died for us, that's your business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality