Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 12:50 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,355,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtango View Post
The point is which definition is correct. Not which is no longer current and which is.
There is no "correct" in language as language is a fluid thing changing all the time. What a word means one decade can be different the next.

What is important in language therefore is not being "correct" in your use of it... but rather getting your intentions and meanings across successfully. It does not matter if you use 20 words wrong in an email... if you successfully communicate your intended meaning to the recipient then this is a success.

The meaning of "god" currently in our society is massively steeped in metaphysics. Whatever meaning you want to portray by using it in a long outdated sense is likely to be lost on your readers entirely. People will read it as if you are trying to elevate him to being something more than human which he is not. Again the Pope is a man and no more and throwing words like "God" or "angel" around at him is pointless empty rhetoric. The most I would describe him as is the CEO of an organisation that trades in lies and out dated morality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 01:49 PM

526 posts, read 690,353 times
[quote=Nozzferrahhtoo;25967405]There is no "correct" in language as language is a fluid thing changing all the time. What a word means one decade can be different the next.[/quote]

Correct! Let your kid know what God meant 2000 years ago and then tell him/her know how theology transformed that meaning into today’s meaning so that he/she may have a chance to decide on the importance of the current meaning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
The meaning of "god" currently in our society is massively steeped in metaphysics. Whatever meaning you want to portray by sing it in a long outdated sense is likely to be lost on your readers entirely.
Not so if one is able to provide the whole story. The story that will show beyond doubt how ridiculous is the idea of the soul, the after life and immortality.

Pope and Academy do not take this matter as lightly as you do.
Consider the following: According to the Egyptian funerary texts the Judgement of the people by the gods commenced as judgment of living people and not as a judgment of souls (a fact confirmed by Plato too). Are you of the opinion that the Pope would allow such an information to be taught at schools?

Another meaning of the Judgment then, another today. Yet, the old meaning has the potential to show how ridiculous today’s meaning is.

Quote:
The most I would describe him as is the CEO of an organisation that trades in lies and out dated morality.
For the sake of your kid, add the story of the organization since the very date it started. Can you do it?

No, you cannot. Because it would be no good for religion if Academy had you provided with the relevant information.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:50 AM

But the general public do not have the "Whole" story. You are assuming too much about people. If you use a word like "God" to explain an idea you have then people will interpret that in the current context of the word. Not the context of it 2000 years ago. So you open a chasm of tautology for yourself.

Again the Pope is a man and the CEO of a business. Nothing more.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:59 AM

Quote:
But the general public do not have the "Whole" story. You are assuming too much about people.
Yes, of course!
The whole story, however, is there, in the texts. Someone should tell it to the people. And thus (forgive me) show to them that the only gods that ever existed were the representatives of the so-called gods.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:36 AM

Good luck with doing that. In the mean time I merely suggest that it might be easier to get your point across if you use language that people understand and is closer to current usage, rather than confusing them with long outdated uses of words in ways that those words simply do not mean any more.

The pope is no "god" by any meaning of the word people are going to understand or relate to. He is just a person like any other person and is the CEO if what essentially is a business and no more. The pope is no more a god for being the head or that business than Bill Gates is for being the head of the most powerful software company on the planet.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:55 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,587,076 times
Quote:
Yes, of course!
The whole story, however, is there, in the texts. Someone should tell it to the people. And thus (forgive me) show to them that the only gods that ever existed were the representatives of the so-called gods.
The whole story is indeed there in the text, ancient, antique and indeed current, and the only story is that gods were invented by men to explain puzzles and problems. Indeed, they were originally supposed to be solid living beings wo lived somewhere that was only imperfectly understood, like the sky - realm or the underworld or the inaccessible tops of mountains. Of course they had messengers and plenty of stories about interbreeding between them, too. Sons of gods proliferated like ten a penny pop-singers and anyone who needed to bolster their temporal authority could invent a god (not a merely semi -divine angelic gofer, of course) sneaking into the bedchamber while dad was off mending chariots or whatever.

With the understanding of the sky, earth and mountaintops, the gods had to become increasingly remote and finally invisible and rebirth in the afterlife had to be hidden away too.

Religious authorities are of course not even demigods or even angels. Heaven knows what sort of mistranslation you got that from - probably a mental mistranslation of ideas rather than language, dear chap.

No, these people, popes, prophets and producers of miracles are neither gods, angels nor demigods, but priests, shamans and witch doctors. Not to say, frauds, fakers and charlatans.

I'm surprised you even needed that to be explained.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
The pope is no "god" by any meaning of the word people are going to understand or relate to.
People uneducated you mean; because originally gods had no superhuman powers at all and therefore an educated person –like my friend Arequipa- may understand very well what is meant by calling the pope a god.
Washington, who is depicted ascending to the heavens like Jesus did, was a god of the same type and that, obviously, was known by those who ordered made the particular painting or the statue.

People cannot understand without proper education; and I mean young people.

[quote=AREQUIPA;25984271]
Religious authorities are of course not even demigods or even angels. Heaven knows what sort of mistranslation you got that from - probably a mental mistranslation of ideas rather than language, dear chap.[/quote]

Know what angel means, my dear friend?
Μalak

And it came to pass that night, that the angel (Mal’ak) of the LORD (Yahweh) went out, and smote in the camp of the Assyrians an hundred fourscore and five thousand: and when they arose early in the morning, behold, they were all dead corpses.(2 Kings 19:35)

Mal’ak, the… angel, is a messenger.
A messenger is the representative of the unseen God
A messenger is someone who commits murder obeying orders from the unseen God.
A messenger is a servant of the unseen God.
A messenger is a priest.

Don’t be naïve… dear chap.

There was never a God but there were always priests.

Forget your unsubstantiated fantasies and try to find out who the messengers were.

Τhe messengers were the gods!... Clever guys!!
They became the representative of themselves.

It takes some reading to understand the past. That is not the first time I’m telling you this.
Forget forum chat and do some reading…tonight!

Old 09-08-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:
[color=black]People uneducated you mean
If I had meant that, I would have wrote that. I did not however. So lets not put your words in my mouth shall we.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:56 AM

Quote:
If I had meant that, I would have wrote that. I did not however. So lets not put your words in my mouth shall we.
Here, you have the chance to read what you obviously did not read the first time.
I wrote:

People uneducated you mean; because originally gods had no superhuman powers at all and therefore an educated person –like my friend Arequipa- may understand very well what is meant by calling the pope a god.

How does it look this time?

originally gods had no superhuman powers at all

It takes educated persons to know the above!

Let me, for your sake, amend the expression: Pope is an old-fashion god.

Are you happy now?

Old 09-08-2012, 03:15 AM

Repeating "People uneducated you mean" does not make it suddenly true. I just told you if I had meant that I would have written that. I did not however. So keep your words out of my mouth. I know what I mean thanks, I do not need you telling me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality