U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 09:54 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,660,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Oh come on....your god could have planned it better than that if he has all the powers you all attribute to him.!
Actually, according to the Bible, he did. Animals didn't eat each other in the Garden of Eden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 10:10 AM

19,788 posts, read 19,891,223 times
So he punished the animal kingdom along with Adam & Eve for the 'apple' they ate?
OK...another heart warming tale.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:39 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,164,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
So he punished the animal kingdom along with Adam & Eve for the 'apple' they ate?
OK...another heart warming tale.
LOL!

Christians don't realize that when they stomp on a spider or swat a fly they are putting out a light exactly the way their own will be put out. With millions of species on the planet which all have a form of sense, many better than that of humans, the odds are better that one will hit the powerball lottery than that there is a hereafter...for any form of life.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:04 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,884,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Actually, according to the Bible, he did. Animals didn't eat each other in the Garden of Eden.
So, he didn't plan the Garden of Eden very well then, eh?

After all, he did allow that snake in there, right?

Of course that's just the start. Bible god is shown time and time again to be a bit of a dumba$$

Old 05-01-2011, 01:07 PM

8,936 posts, read 8,400,927 times
Quote:

To believe it all happened pretty much by accident would be akin to taking about a ton of spare parts made of various metals, rubber and plastic, dumping them all in a pile and making a car. No matter how many times you dumped it over millions of years, it's unlikely to ever end up as a Cadillac.
I love this argument. It illustrates so many things.

1. It illustrates the fact that creationists do not understand the difference between an inert lump of metal/rubber/plastic and a biological organism like a cell.
2. It shows that they do not understand how reproduction changes things.
3. It shows that they are bad at making analogies. Maybe, just maybe if they considered dropping a pile of junk and seeing if one of the items rolled downhill, smoothing its corners, and bam!, you have a wheel they might have gotten a bit closer.
4. Add to that the ineptness of an omnipotent god. A Cadillac? More likely one of those British cars with electrical problems. After all, a perfect god creates us with predispositions to cancer, nasty parasites, allergies, teeth that rot, eyes that fail, and hair that turns grey.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:15 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,164,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

1. It illustrates the fact that creationists do not understand the difference between an inert lump of metal/rubber/plastic and a biological organism like a cell.
2. It shows that they do not understand how reproduction changes things.
3. It shows that they are bad at making analogies. Maybe, just maybe if they considered dropping a pile of junk and seeing if one of the items rolled downhill, smoothing its corners, and bam!, you have a wheel they might have gotten a bit closer.
4. Add to that the ineptness of an omnipotent god. A Cadillac? More likely one of those British cars with electrical problems. After all, a perfect god creates us with predispositions to cancer, nasty parasites, allergies, teeth that rot, eyes that fail, and hair that turns grey.
It also shows that there's a sucker born every minute(P.T.Barnum) and we're all ignorant, just about different things(Will Rogers.)

Religion has the most screwed up explanation of our "BEING" that could possibly be dreamed up by anyone.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:24 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,974,576 times
Well, to be fair, it was dreamed up by ancient people who had little to no real understanding of their world. The problem is that there are still people who subscribe to the old ignorant, divisive 'explanations'. I can understand the former, but not the latter.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:27 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,783,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
About that carnivorous plant. isn't it possible that it's smell and diet slowly changed through evolution?
But to develop such a clever technique, wouldnt the plant have to have a brain capable of observing the insects flocking to dead animals, and it would not only have to observe this, but also understand why i.e. the smell of rotting flesh.

Quote:
I can no more definitively prove God exists than you can that He doesn't.
Exactly, God is a universal negative, he or it rather, can neither be proven or disproven. Also, can we as humans ever claim to have enough knowlege of the universe to say with any certainty that god dosnt exist? I don think so

Quote:
If there were no predators, the earth would soon be over run with animals. Predators are a necessary component of evolution and natural selection.
You have officialy confused me. Are you a creationist or an evolutionist???

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

This cell you speak of contains enough information to fill the equivalent of 1000 encyclopedias and behind all this information is an intelligent message. Great point about rolling a lump of metal down a hill and it "evolving" into a wheel btw.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:31 PM

6,039 posts, read 9,456,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S. 123 View Post
For those of you who dont know, Deism is the beleif in a creator God. Thats it. No Bible, no Jesus, heaven, hell or any dogma of any kind. Really, I consider myself an agnostic, but more recently a Deist. Lately Ive been watching the documentary series "Planet Earth". Its a very good series and before you answer my question I would recommend watchind it. When you emaine some wildlife, you begin to realize that thses animals, insects,plants and so forth are so specificly designed { a term I use loosely } that it seems impossible it could have evolved that way. For example, I recently read an article about this flower in geneva that put off the scent of rotting flesh to attract insect into it to eat them. This to me dosnt sound like part of an evolutionary pattern, its not somthing the plant could just pick up over the centuries. Its somthing that takes reasoning and observation to say hey, flies are attracted to this smell. There are countless other examples as well. Everyone wants a sign for the existance of God or proof, but look around people, the proof is everywhere, you just have to be willing to see it, then accept it.
Nope, we can't agree on deism. There's no proof or evidence for a creator-god and thus deism is just more unsubstantiated fantasy.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:50 PM

7,945 posts, read 4,739,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I have watched some of the Planet Earth series. The diversity of life is amazing. When I was younger, I believed in God and as I learned of things like your example of the plant that smells like rotting flesh, I could not conceive of how evolution could explain such things. But, I had only a very limited understanding of evolution at the time. Once I finally took the time to educate myself about evolution by natural selection, I was fully convinced that evolution is powerful enough to produce all the diversity of life. In fact, once I was in possession of the facts, I can't see how one can claim the diversity of life was planned. Because the way we got to our present diversity of life came through many chance events. It is like planning to build a building by incorporating the placement of building materials by tornadoes. It doesn't completely rule out a god, but to me it really doesn't look like life was intelligently designed.

So, to any deists out there, I suggest you read some recent books on evolution.
No, I also had a crappy understanding of evolution, but I wrongfully thought such plants (Venus Fly Trap & and Smelly Fly Trap) would evolve to eventually have teeth and walk around. lol, there existance made perfect sense from my limited "evolution is progress" perspective at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality