Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 06:45 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
The pot is being stirred some more..

And now it's the terrorists who have to get revenge against the States.

Ready for another twin towers everyone??

Round and round and round we go.......

Number killed on Sept. 11 2001: 3,000
Number killed (civilians) in Afghanistan war since 2001: 14,000-34,000 estimated.

Have we killed enough yet? How many more do we need to kill to "feel better??"

Peace is what we need, not more killing (which only leads to more killing).

Blessings,
brian
I am someone directly affected by 9/11, and I just want all this war to end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 07:05 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,495 times
Good riddance.

You can't make peace with people who want to kill you. You'll just end up dead. It's not like if someone had given Bin Laden a hug he'd have changed his ways.

We could argue over why they want to kills us, but that poop slinging fest is best left for the Politics section of these forums.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:22 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
When will we ever take what Jesus said seriously????????
Well, there is still hope! There are many Christian groups that believe in peace and not war, and that retaliation only leads to further violence. What Jesus said about "resist not evil" is right, imo. It's really the only way to extinguish violence and suffering.

This whole conflict with the Muslim world is not finished at all. Our aggression against them only makes them hate us even more, and now they have good reason. 14,000-34,000 civilian casualities in Afghanistan is no joke. --How would Americans respond if it was the US who was losing so many civilians??

How many bombs does it take to make peace???

Blessings,
brian

Old 05-02-2011, 07:26 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
Well, there is still hope! There are many Christian groups that believe in peace and not war, and that retaliation only leads to further violence. What Jesus said about "resist not evil" is right, imo. It's really the only way to extinguish violence and suffering.

This whole conflict with the Muslim world is not finished at all. Our aggression against them only makes them hate us even more, and now they have good reason. 14,000-34,000 civilian casualities in Afghanistan is no joke. --How would Americans respond if it was the US who was losing so many civilians??

How many bombs does it take to make peace???

Blessings,
brian
I believe we've come to crisis point in the world...we will either evolve or die.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:50 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
Quote:
The fact is, this whole thing is really making me question my Christian beliefs.

All the Christians I know, including very close friends who I consider to be serious Christ-followers, are celebrating Bin Laden's death. I don't mean just saying "I'm glad he's gone," I mean celebrating like their favorite team just won the Super Bowl. While I completely understand the reaction (Bin Laden was a sick, evil, twisted, disgusting, vile man who murdered Americans on 9/11), it is totally unscriptural.

Christ said to love your enemies, pray for your persecutors, don't resist an evil man, don't hate your enemies, etc. etc. Christians don't take any of that stuff seriously. Either they ignore it entirely, or they rationalize it by saying "Jesus didn't mean really evil people like Bin Laden and the terrorists, he was just talking "normal people" who annoy you, like the neighbor who plays his music too loud, or your ex-girlfriend, or the guy who cuts you off in traffic."

However, when you read Christ's words, it's clear that he was talking about something more extreme. "Hates" and "persecutes" are pretty strong words.

To me, it seems like Christians only use the Bible to bash gay people, abortion doctors and other "sinners," threaten people with eternal hell, use it a weapon for political purposes or get comfort after a loved one's death (or when facing their own death). They ignore or rationalize 90% of what the New Testament actually teaches. To them, Jesus is just a "get-out-of-hell-free" card, not a model after which to pattern your life.

I don't know. Maybe Christ's message was far too radical for humanity.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:36 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
The fact is, this whole thing is really making me question my Christian beliefs.

All the Christians I know, including very close friends who I consider to be serious Christ-followers, are celebrating Bin Laden's death. I don't mean just saying "I'm glad he's gone," I mean celebrating like their favorite team just won the Super Bowl. While I completely understand the reaction (Bin Laden was a sick, evil, twisted, disgusting, vile man who murdered Americans on 9/11), it is totally unscriptural.

Christ said to love your enemies, pray for your persecutors, don't resist an evil man, don't hate your enemies, etc. etc. Christians don't take any of that stuff seriously. Either they ignore it entirely, or they rationalize it by saying "Jesus didn't mean really evil people like Bin Laden and the terrorists, he was just talking "normal people" who annoy you, like the neighbor who plays his music too loud, or your ex-girlfriend, or the guy who cuts you off in traffic."

However, when you read Christ's words, it's clear that he was talking about something more extreme. "Hates" and "persecutes" are pretty strong words.

To me, it seems like Christians only use the Bible to bash gay people, abortion doctors and other "sinners," threaten people with eternal hell, use it a weapon for political purposes or get comfort after a loved one's death (or when facing their own death). They ignore or rationalize 90% of what the New Testament actually teaches. To them, Jesus is just a "get-out-of-hell-free" card, not a model after which to pattern your life.

I don't know. Maybe Christ's message was far too radical for humanity.
What you've mentioned here is exactly what is happening. Many who use the name "Christian" don't follow Christ! It's really that simple. Jesus calls us to live a new way of life, a higher way of living than what man has previously known. And the strange thing is, people know in their hearts that they ought to follow what He says, and that it is better to make peace than to make war, but they aren't ready to live it. They're not ready to "make the leap." They rationalize, make excuses, etc., even though they know in their hearts that it is the right thing to do. (and this is happening all over, not just in America)

Blessings,
brian

Old 05-02-2011, 08:59 AM

901 posts, read 2,387,012 times
So what do some of you propose we do...allow terrorists to go around killing us? Is it love to allow terrorists to continue killing people? Shame on you for disrespecting the members of our military who are putting their lives on the line to protect us. Jesus said "greater love hath no man than he who would give his life for a friend". Are YOU out in the battle field giving your life for your friends, Brian? I highly doubt if you were being held captive by a terrorist, who was using you as a human shield, that you wouldn't deep down inside hope someone would come along and kill the terrorist who was holding you captive.

Jesus said that those who lived by the sword would die by the sword. Well, Obama lived by the gun...and he died by a gun. Shot in the head. Am I rejoicing over war? No. I'm rejoicing that good has triumphed over evil.

Wise up, people. Read Romans 13:1-5.

---

Last edited by insightofitall; 05-02-2011 at 09:14 AM..

Old 05-02-2011, 09:01 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
I think the above says it all...is anyone paying attention???????

Old 05-02-2011, 09:05 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times
Just remember, at one point Christianity was in the EXACT same place that Islam is now.. and that ancient followers of Judaism were "terrorists" as well- it's why people with particularly strong religious fervor are known as "zealots".

Old 05-02-2011, 09:21 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
As a believer, all I can say is "What if? What IF, our nation turned the other cheek??

Our government is for the people, and we elect our leaders and we trust them to make the necessary appointments, and decisions about our security as a nation, as a people and as individuals..

As a believer I know that we are not perfect and we will continue to fight in wars, and we will continue to honor our citizens here and abroad with the protection promised and necessary for our survival.. I am not a violent person, I do not condone violence, but I stand up for the innocent people of insane self proclaimed terrorists..and if we have no choice except to take them out, then so be it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality