Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:16 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,325,982 times

Advertisements

Atheists on here always say that the theists have to have proof that what we believe is true. People who believe in the alternative and holistic approach with spirituality are forced to prove their beliefs.

I now turn the tables on the atheists and say prove to me that there is no God, Soul, and that things like Reiki, gemstones, and all things spiritual do not work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 10:19 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,541,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Atheists on here always say that the theists have to have proof that what we believe is true. People who believe in the alternative and holistic approach with spirituality are forced to prove their beliefs.

I now turn the tables on the atheists and say prove to me that there is no God, Soul, and that things like Reiki, gemstones, and all things spiritual do not work.
I predict that the atheists will say:

1. You can't prove a negative.

2. Since theists are making the positive assertion, we have the burden of proof.

See, now the atheists are off the hook. They can avoid the question entirely.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:21 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,940,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

2. Since theists are making the positive assertion, we have the burden of proof.

See, now the atheists are off the hook. They can avoid the question entirely.
that should do it. Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by june 7th; 05-09-2011 at 11:29 AM..

Old 05-09-2011, 10:22 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post

I now turn the tables on the atheists and say prove to me that there is no God, Soul, .....
Still not getting it raison? One can't prove a negative. Why don't you try to prove that mermaids don't exist?

Quote:
...and that things like Reiki, gemstones, and all things spiritual do not work.
Same argument as above.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:23 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,986,948 times
The onus is on the one making the affirmative claim of existence.

Instead, you're just bellying up to the wishful-thinking salad bar and choosing what you like:
"I'll take a nice God salad with Reiki dressing on the side. No leprechauns, thanks. And I'll pass on the Santa Claus."

See? You're not even consistent in your inane idea that affirmative claims of existence need no evidence. You just blithely pick and choose what you desperately wish to be true, proclaim it so, and then proclaim that all else is false.

The narcissism in your me-based selectivity is impressive, in a sad and pathetic sort of way.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Well that's because those things are true Mr. I thought you were interested in 'truth'?

Old 05-09-2011, 10:36 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,002,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
The onus is on the one making the affirmative claim of existence.

Instead, you're just bellying up to the wishful-thinking salad bar and choosing what you like:
"I'll take a nice God salad with Reiki dressing on the side. No leprechauns, thanks. And I'll pass on the Santa Claus."

See? You're not even consistent in your inane idea that affirmative claims of existence need no evidence. You just blithely pick and choose what you desperately wish to be true, proclaim it so, and then proclaim that all else is false.

The narcissism in your me-based selectivity is impressive, in a sad and pathetic sort of way.
Ranks in my top 5 best posts ever!

Old 05-09-2011, 10:54 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,940,418 times
okay i don't see why we have to start getting snarky and mean. can we not assume the original question was posed in good faith?

Old 05-09-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
okay i don't see why we have to start getting snarky and mean. can we not assume the original question was posed in good faith?
What is "snarky" about the posts here??

Old 05-09-2011, 11:07 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,541,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Well that's because those things are true Mr. I thought you were interested in 'truth'?
Personally I would have phrased the question in such a way as to make the Atheist view a positive assertion.

But as predicted it came to pass that no atheist will address the OP. IMO the atheist bases his or her beliefs about the spiritual on nothing (pun intended).

To answer the OP, I would say that the atheist has no evidence to support their POV. For example, the atheist cannot prove that the universe came to be on its own-just happened. There is no evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality