Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:11 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times

Advertisements

If we're going to use the high percentage of similarities between Arabic and Hebrew to prove Muhammad in the Bible/Torah, we may as well go all the way.

Allah الله‎ ;
Elohim אֱלהִים ; Eloah אלוה ; El אֱל

Same root, same God.

There we are. Islam and Judaism worship the same God.

Israel, Palestine, what are you fighting for? You obviously worship the same God, believe in the same Angels, and believe in the same beginnings. You both use semitic languages that have a lot of common roots like שָׁלוֹם Shalom and سلام Salaam. You even have the same angels, like Gabriel for instance: גַּבְרִיאֵל Gavriel and جبريل Jibril or جبرائيل Jibra'il. Don't forget Jesus (يسوع Yasu' or عيسى Isa' and Hebrew יְהוֹשֻׁעַ Yehoshua') and Adam (אָדָם‎ Adam and آدم‎ Adam) and Eve (חַוָּה Khavah and Arabic حواء Hawaa') and Mary (מרים Maryam or Miriam and مريم Maryam) etc.

Common roots only prove that languages are closely related or borrow closely-related terms. They don't prove anything theologically-based. After all, Christians across the world claim to believe in the same God but give Him different names from the Germanic root (German Gott, Dutch God, Danish Gud) to the Semitic root (Hebrew יהוה‎, Arabic يهوه, English Jehovah) to the Slavic root (Russian/Bulgarian Бог Bog, Croatian Bog, Polish Bóg) to the Latin root (Spanish Dios, French Dieu, Portuguese Deus) to the Greek root (Greek Θεός Theos) etc.

Your argument is baseless also because even within Arabic there are a ton of words that refer to different things with the same root as "Muhammad", for example:

Hamid حميد - praised
Muhammad محمد - praise-worthy
Hamd حمد - praise or song of Allah
Hamed حامد - praiser
Mahmud محمود - the praised one

So what we really see is that H-M-D (ח-מ-ד ; ح - م - د ; translitered H-M-D) just refers to praise/grace in one form or another, and the Arabic name for the Prophet just so happens to be "The Praised One". מחמד M-KH-M-D just spells out the Hebrew word for "charm, grace, delight, loveliness, desire".

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 05-16-2011 at 09:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 04:55 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post
Any one can be religious ... but that does not mean it is the right religion .

Again ..any one can have a path to God .. it calls a persons choice ,There is a right to every creature on God even those how dont believe in him ( right in this world like livelihood etc) .. but what about the way that God chosen to hemself for us to worship ?
Is't there any consideration or values to that !!

Jewish also believe in heaven / hell ..
The only difference lies in the philosophy of when & how ?
Thats all ...

If you don't believe that you have the only truth then you are not sure of your religion /faith ...
This is what so-called confidence and there is a difference between confidence and arrogance .. if you don't have confidence ... then you have nothing .
You don't know to much about Judaism that is evident in your post so maybe you need to go read a book about it.

Truth is in the eye of the beholder. I understand that you don't need to be Jewish to have a faith. That is the difference.

I understand you don't need to be Jewish to be right because the idea of "salvation" that Islam has and Christianity has is not a central belief in Judaism.

It is arrogance to say you have the only truth. It is arrogance to say if people don't believe as you do they are going to hell.

You have what you think is a truth. It is not provable at all.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:28 AM

570 posts, read 733,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom
You don't know to much about Judaism that is evident in your post so maybe you need to go read a book about it.
basic and general principles of Judaism :
"G-d exists .. unique ...ncorporeal .. eternal ..The Written Torah (first 5 books of the Bible) and Oral Torah (teachings now contained in the Talmud and other writings) were given to Moses .. G-d will reward the good and punish the wicked .. The Messiah will come ..
The Creator has promised you that you will be rescued from your exile. When u are finally rescued .. u will be returned to Israel and a King will be restored to the throne of David.
He will be the King Messiah.
The Messiah will bring peace to the world. The Messiah will bring back all Jews to the proper understanding of how to serve Hashem and how to fulfill yorselves spiritually. The Messiah will rebuild the Holy Temple (or else it will be rebuilt just before he comes). The Messiah will bring back all Jews to the Land of Israel .. with joy and hope. And he will do all this on the first try.
The dead will be resurrected .. Judaism focuses on relationships between G-d and mankind.. between G-d and the Jewish people .. between the Jewish people and the land of Israel and between human beings" .
So I think I do know about Judaism
Quote:
Truth is in the eye of the beholder. I understand that you don't need to be Jewish to have a faith. That is the difference.
I understand you don't need to be Jewish to be right because the idea of "salvation" that Islam has and Christianity has is not a central belief in Judaism.
It is arrogance to say you have the only truth. It is arrogance to say if people don't believe as you do they are going to hell.
My dear ..We all know that You ( Jewish ) do not accept or believe those people whom other religions call their prophets. You do not accept or believe the writings of other religions. At times, you even dispute their version of history, particularly the christian version of history.
You believe that the Jews' relationship with the Creator is unique. No other nation has ever had that, or ever will
You believe that the Jews are often referred to as God's chosen people.
Jewish in Palestine are welling to go on and continue killing innocent people ..women and children as they did for the past 50 years to achieve what they have been promised in the Torah !!
So please don't even talk to me about arrogance or say that Jewish don't claim that they have the only truth because they sure do with deadly weapons and military aircrafts .
Terrorism in the form of state government name Israel !!
We Muslims did't have any proplem with Jewish or the countries that support them until they occupied Palestine .
It's between Muslims and Jewish Zionism that supports the terrorism state of Israel not Judaism as a religion, .
Quote:
You have what you think is a truth. It is not provable at all.
I believe Islam have the only truth ..you (Jazzymom ) don't believe Judaism have the only truth and that is the difference between you and me .
You don't have to prove it .. neither do I .

Last edited by squall-lionheart; 05-19-2011 at 05:59 AM..

Old 05-20-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post
basic and general principles of Judaism :
"G-d exists .. unique ...ncorporeal .. eternal ..The Written Torah (first 5 books of the Bible) and Oral Torah (teachings now contained in the Talmud and other writings) were given to Moses .. G-d will reward the good and punish the wicked .. The Messiah will come ..
The Creator has promised you that you will be rescued from your exile. When u are finally rescued .. u will be returned to Israel and a King will be restored to the throne of David.
He will be the King Messiah.
The Messiah will bring peace to the world. The Messiah will bring back all Jews to the proper understanding of how to serve Hashem and how to fulfill yorselves spiritually. The Messiah will rebuild the Holy Temple (or else it will be rebuilt just before he comes). The Messiah will bring back all Jews to the Land of Israel .. with joy and hope. And he will do all this on the first try.
The dead will be resurrected .. Judaism focuses on relationships between G-d and mankind.. between G-d and the Jewish people .. between the Jewish people and the land of Israel and between human beings" .
So I think I do know about Judaism

My dear ..We all know that You ( Jewish ) do not accept or believe those people whom other religions call their prophets. You do not accept or believe the writings of other religions. At times, you even dispute their version of history, particularly the christian version of history.
You believe that the Jews' relationship with the Creator is unique. No other nation has ever had that, or ever will
You believe that the Jews are often referred to as God's chosen people.
Jewish in Palestine are welling to go on and continue killing innocent people ..women and children as they did for the past 50 years to achieve what they have been promised in the Torah !!
So please don't even talk to me about arrogance or say that Jewish don't claim that they have the only truth because they sure do with deadly weapons and military aircrafts .
Terrorism in the form of state government name Israel !!
We Muslims did't have any proplem with Jewish or the countries that support them until they occupied Palestine .
It's between Muslims and Jewish Zionism that supports the terrorism state of Israel not Judaism as a religion, .

I believe Islam have the only truth ..you (Jazzymom ) don't believe Judaism have the only truth and that is the difference between you and me .
You don't have to prove it .. neither do I .
How come you don't believe the same as Judaism, squall-lionheart? After all, not only do Hebrew share the Muhammad root with מחמד and محمد but also the Messiah root with מָשִׁיחַ Mashiah or Moshiakh and مسيح Masih. Greek uses the word Χριστός Khristos for Messiah, which is where the Christ in Jesus Christ comes from--but Greek also has the word Μεσσίας Messias. So with those shared roots, why don't Jews, Muslims, and Christians believe in the same Messiah?

In fact, Hebrew shares a common root with Arabic ملك malik meaning King as well. In Hebrew, the cognate is מלך melekh. The messiah is often referred to as מלך המשיח Melekh ha-Mashiakh which in Arabic would translate to الملك المسيح al-Malik al-Masih.

Makes you wonder how original Islam, Judaism, and Christianity really are. Are you guys really all that different?

Old 05-20-2011, 09:46 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
How come you don't believe the same as Judaism, squall-lionheart? After all, not only do Hebrew share the Muhammad root with מחמד and محمد but also the Messiah root with מָשִׁיחַ Mashiah or Moshiakh and مسيح Masih. Greek uses the word Χριστός Khristos for Messiah, which is where the Christ in Jesus Christ comes from--but Greek also has the word Μεσσίας Messias. So with those shared roots, why don't Jews, Muslims, and Christians believe in the same Messiah?

In fact, Hebrew shares a common root with Arabic ملك malik meaning King as well. In Hebrew, the cognate is מלך melekh. The messiah is often referred to as מלך המשיח Melekh ha-Mashiakh which in Arabic would translate to الملك المسيح al-Malik al-Masih.

Makes you wonder how original Islam, Judaism, and Christianity really are. Are you guys really all that different?
Peace nimchipsky,

You are quite correct our 4 beliefs are very similar (the 4th is Sabian) We as Muslims do believe that the Jews, Christians and Sabians are People of the Book and at one time they did follow the truth. We believe all four when followed properly did Islam (Islam is the Arabic verb meaning submit to God)

We as Muslims believe that the Jews, Sabians and Christians followed the revelation as appropriate for specific people at a specific time. Over the years much of the message was either lost, not applicable to all people or partially changed through intent, accident or mistranslation. We either follow or strive to follow the teachings of all the Prophets. For the Most part we follow the same Prophets.

The Christians follow 2 more than the Jews follow-Jesus(as) and John the Baptist(not considered a Prophet by all Christians)

The Sabians follow one more than the Jews follow, -John the Baptist

Us Muslims follow 3 more than the Jews follow- John the Baptist, Jesus and Muhammad (Peace be upon all of the Prophets)

The Qur'an was revealed as the Final message for all people.

We are very similar because at one point we were all Muslim (Muslim is an Arabic noun meaning a person who performs the act of Islam. ie A person who submits to God)

Old 05-20-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Peace nimchipsky,

You are quite correct our 4 beliefs are very similar (the 4th is Sabian) We as Muslims do believe that the Jews, Christians and Sabians are People of the Book and at one time they did follow the truth. We believe all four when followed properly did Islam (Islam is the Arabic verb meaning submit to God)

We as Muslims believe that the Jews, Sabians and Christians followed the revelation as appropriate for specific people at a specific time. Over the years much of the message was either lost, not applicable to all people or partially changed through intent, accident or mistranslation. We either follow or strive to follow the teachings of all the Prophets. For the Most part we follow the same Prophets.

The Christians follow 2 more than the Jews follow-Jesus(as) and John the Baptist(not considered a Prophet by all Christians)

The Sabians follow one more than the Jews follow, -John the Baptist

Us Muslims follow 3 more than the Jews follow- John the Baptist, Jesus and Muhammad (Peace be upon all of the Prophets)

The Qur'an was revealed as the Final message for all people.

We are very similar because at one point we were all Muslim (Muslim is an Arabic noun meaning a person who performs the act of Islam. ie A person who submits to God)
سلام Salaam,

That's exactly what مسلم Muslim means and that's why Muslims should strive to unite and tear down walls instead of putting them up. It's the same semitic root -م mu- that shows up in the name محمد means "someone who is___". I already went through the h-m-d ح م د root in an earlier post in this thread so I won't go over it again. But my point is that there aren't that many differences between the Abrahamic religions so people should stop fighting over the details. If you just look at the names in Arabic, Hebrew, Greek, and English, you can see similarity after similarity after similarity:

موسى Musa; מֹשֶׁה‎ Moshe; Μωυσής Moisis; Moses
ابراهيم Ibrahim; אַבְרָהָם Avraham; Aβραάμ Avraam; Abraham
يسوع؛ عيسى Yasu', 'Isa; Yehoshua' יְהוֹשֻׁעַ; Ιησούς Iesus; Jesus
مريم Maryam; מרים Miriam, Maryam; Μαρία Maria; Mary
آدم Adam; אָדָם‎ Adam; Αδάμ Adam; Adam
حواء Hawaa', חַוָּה Khavah; Εύα Eva; Eve
جبريل؛ جبرائيل Jibril, Jibra'il; גַּבְרִיאֵל Gavri'el; Γαβριήλ Gavriil; Gabriel
میکائیل Mika'il; מִיכָאֵל Mikha'el; Μιχάλης Mikhalis; Michael
قابيل Qabil; קין Qain; Κάïν Kain; Cain
هابيل Habil; הבל Hevel; Άβελ Avel; Abel
نُوح Nuh; נֹחַ, נוֹחַ Noe, Noach; Νωέ Noe; Noah
سارة Sarah; שָׂרָה Sarah; Σάρα, Σάρρα Sara, Sarra; Sara, Sarah
حام Ham; חָם Kham; Χαμ Kham; Ham
شيطان Shaitan; שָׂטָן Satan; Σατανάς Satanas; Satan
داود Dawud; דָּוִיד David; Δαβίδ David; David
سليمان‎ Suleiman; שְׁלֹמֹה Shlomoh; Σολομών Solomon; Solomon
يحيى؛ يوحنا Yahya, Yuhanna; יוחנן Yochanan; Ἰωάννης Ioannes; John
...etc.

BTW (as you probably already know, but for other readers as well) مسلم Muslim comes from the Arabic root س ل م s-l-m which is cognate to the Hebrew root ש ל ם s/sh-l-m. It's used in the Arabic word سلام Salam meaning hello/peace, Hebrew word שלום Shalom meaning hello/peace. It's also used in the Arabic تسليم taslim meaning delivery/submission. And as you can see, Solomon/سليمان‎ Suleiman/שְׁלֹמֹה Shlomoh/Σολομών Solomon come from the same root because Solomon was a king who brought peace. The name Shelomith/سالومة Salumah/שְׁלוֹמִית Shlomit/Σαλωμη Salome also comes from that same root.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 05-20-2011 at 11:21 AM..

Old 05-20-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
سلام Salaam,

That's exactly what مسلم Muslim means and that's why Muslims should strive to unite and tear down walls instead of putting them up. It's the same semitic root -م mu- that shows up in the name محمد means "someone who is___". I already went through the h-m-d ح م د root in an earlier post in this thread so I won't go over it again. But my point is that there aren't that many differences between the Abrahamic religions so people should stop fighting over the details. If you just look at the names in Arabic, Hebrew, Greek, and English, you can see similarity after similarity after similarity:

موسى Musa; מֹשֶׁה‎ Moshe; Μωυσής Moisis; Moses
ابراهيم Ibrahim; אַבְרָהָם Avraham; Aβραάμ Avraam; Abraham
يسوع؛ عيسى Yasu', 'Isa; Yehoshua' יְהוֹשֻׁעַ; Ιησούς Iesus; Jesus
مريم Maryam; מרים Miriam, Maryam; Μαρία Maria; Mary
آدم Adam; אָדָם‎ Adam; Αδάμ Adam; Adam
حواء Hawaa', חַוָּה Khavah; Εύα Eva; Eve
جبريل؛ جبرائيل Jibril, Jibra'il; גַּבְרִיאֵל Gavri'el; Γαβριήλ Gavriil; Gabriel
میکائیل Mika'il; מִיכָאֵל Mikha'el; Μιχάλης Mikhalis; Michael
قابيل Qabil; קין Qain; Κάïν Kain; Cain
هابيل Habil; הבל Hevel; Άβελ Avel; Abel
نُوح Nuh; נֹחַ, נוֹחַ Noe, Noach; Νωέ Noe; Noah
سارة Sara; שָׂרָה Sarah; Σάρα, Σάρρα Sara, Sarra; Sara, Sarah
حام Ham; חָם Kham; Χαμ Kham; Ham
داود Dawud; דָּוִיד David; Δαβίδ David; David
سليمان‎ Suleiman; שְׁלֹמֹה Shlomoh; Σολομών Solomon; Solomon
...etc.
I agree

The Qur'an does forbid us to be aggressors. We are commanded to live in Peace with people of all faiths. We can only defend ourselves and not attack others.

Islam does come from the same root as Salam(Peace), we all need to remember Islam is a religion of Peace and not of aggression.

"Fight in the cause of God against those who fight you, but do not transgress limits. God does not love transgressors." (Qur'an 2:190)

"And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for God. But if they desist, then let there be no hostility except against wrongdoers." (Qur'an 2:193)

"If they seek peace, then you seek peace. And trust in God for He is the One that hears and knows all things." (Qur'an 8:61)

Old 05-20-2011, 11:20 AM

Sorry--I added another paragraph to my post after you quoted me.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Sorry--I added another paragraph to my post after you quoted me.
No problem.

I must say you have good knowledge of Hebrew and Arabic. Of course they along with Aramaic and Phoenician are essentially dialects of the same language.

I have no disagreement with your added paragraph.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
No problem.

I must say you have good knowledge of Hebrew and Arabic. Of course they along with Aramaic and Phoenician are essentially dialects of the same language.

I have no disagreement with your added paragraph.
Exactly. Though somehow I don't think many Palestinian and Israeli residents would be huge fans of admitting that fact.

I wish the Aramaic and Phoenician alphabets could display on my computer so I can learn them online. Unfortunately they can't, and it helps that Arabic and Hebrew are still spoken and used as writing systems in modern times.

BTW I'm a linguist at heart (hence the Noam Chomsky reference in my user name) so I love comparing languages like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality