Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 08:32 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times

Advertisements

Just wondering ? I have been told that nothing can be created out of nothing so I am wondering how that squares up with this ? Did God just implode on the scene 6000 years ago and decided to create the world ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 08:34 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
It could have happened that way.

It makes just about as much sense as any other explanation that has come up.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:38 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
IMO, Moose, God has no beginning he is infinite. The earth ,IMO, is billions of years old according to scientific findings...

Old 11-16-2007, 08:42 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Default It's God... or something!

I think that's a good question, Moose. Something almost all of us have pondered. I remember even my 3 year old child looking up at the sky and asking me, "Where did God come from?" I think the unexplainable thing here, whether we are believers or not,--the thing we can't get our minds around, is that something or Someone was "uncaused." If you don't accept the idea of God, then you logically have to say that there was an "uncaused universe" or an "uncaused vapor" or an "uncaused molecule" etc., etc., no?

So to believers, I think it is more logical and rationalto accept that God existed eternally as He has revealed Himself rather than some molecule or something existing uncaused. I know some atheists on this forum that feel differently...they have told me so! But essentially, our sense of reality does not allow for something "uncaused." But it has to have existed somewhere or we wouldn't be here now, right?

Old 11-16-2007, 09:03 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,984 times
God has always existed. God exists in eternity. Eternity is forever, with no beginning or end. The Bible tells us that 'time' is a dimension that God created and subjected man to. God dwells outside the time dimension, meaning He can see all the past, present, and future at once.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:08 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,420 times
I believe that God, (I also like Creator), is eternal, with no beginning or end. Far beyond our own scope of understanding, in that sense, because he is infinite, outside of time; we are finite and mortal. Many, if not most, Indians also used the term "The Great Mystery", (many still do). They believe that Creator/God/Great Spirit is exactly that, a great mystery, someone that we can't really entirely fathom. They also believe that it is arrogant for any man to make the statement that he alone, knows more about our Creator, than any of his fellow human beings.

Now, obviously, those of us who believe in an eternal God/Creator, (in whatever capacity, whether Biblical or other), cannot prove it to the satisfaction of those who don't. But, in my opinion, that's okay, because personally, I don't feel the need to do so. I am satisfied that the Creator exists.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:25 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,435,824 times
We are him, or to say it more properly, He is us, God himself becomes every living being in earth, it's an auto game he likes to play to know himself from their creation perspectives.

God is sleeping in inert matter
he is dreaming in animals
and begins to wake up in men
but only in the supermen, he can fully awaken, recognize what his true identity is.

Jesus, Buddha, Krsna, Muhammad, Moses and all men from self realization were supemen, they knew what they really were

Old 11-16-2007, 10:39 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
If God was the creator of the Universe, who created him/her?
A creator does not need to be created, because a creator "is".

Old 11-16-2007, 12:51 PM

366 posts, read 540,651 times
One traditional conception is that God is a necessary being. The universe is contingent, and so is not something that had to exist--in other words, it's possible for the universe to have never existed. But a necessary being is not a contingent being. God, as a necessary being, has always existed. It is not possible for God to have not existed (based on the concept of God).

Old 11-16-2007, 01:00 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Thank you for all your answers. I'm afraid evolution seems far more likely to me and has a lot more evidence to back it up . I don't think religion will ever make sense to me. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality