Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 10:38 AM

8 posts, read 19,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I think the Bible's opposition is to the sex act of the homosexual male. In some places it even sort of implies a forced act. It doesn't seem to address the Lesbian problem at all. I don't think the Bible condems a man from caring deeply or loving someone of the same sex.

The Bible doesn't say much about how the straight couple is to have sex or how often either, except to procreate, does it? There's just that admonition to love one another. Which we don't do too well. Paul even goes on to say that it's better to marry than to burn in hell. What did he mean by that? Was he against Sex in all it's forms? Or just outside of the usual marriage?
The Lesgian Problem? Um, that gives me some pause....

IMO, the bible can be interpreted many different ways by many different people. I don't find it to be anti-gay at all; in fact, it doesn't speak about that subject whatsoever, and Jesus did not mention it, except in Matthew somewhere, i think it was, where he said there are reasons some eunuchs are the way they are and that's basically that. In fact, he was more annoyed with everyone going around doing all of this judging than he was with anyone's being gay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 05:59 PM

746 posts, read 3,497,524 times
I wonder if this thread changed anyone's opinion one iota....though it is comforting, in a way, to see that the debate has not progressed much since it began.

As long as straight couples keep making more gay children, this discussion will go on and on and on...

Old 09-22-2007, 11:13 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,220,825 times
What about the gay individuals who produce straight children? Or the gay couples who adopt a kid, or give birth to a child, who grows up to be straight?

Old 09-22-2007, 11:46 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,483,093 times
Gay individuals do not reproduce straight children, it still takes heterosexual sex to reproduce whether you are gay or straight. I have known that I was attracted to members of my sex since I was a child and did not know what sex was. I have never been attracted to women and in High school I had girlfriends because I thought that was the right thing to do, but it never felt right and I felt like I was deceiving my girlfriends and myself. My mom was deeply religious and she felt that god would not have created homosexual men and women just so they could be persecuted by their fellow human beings for being something that they could no more control than their breathting. God is not supposed to be only of the christians but of everyone and everything and not every religion or belief system feels that homosexuality is a sin, some believe that one who is gay is actually closer to god and is blessed.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:19 AM

Sex is sex. There is no thing as heterosexual sex or gay sex. There are only heterosexuals who have sex or homosexuals who have sex.
Sex is just a tool for reproduction, nothing more and nothing less.
Even gay people have to have sex or contribute their sperm and eggs if they want to reproduce.
Why do people keep mistaking me for a Christian? Not that there is anything wrong with being a Christian.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:51 PM

7,531 posts, read 17,205,008 times
It must be your perfume, Tricky.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:54 PM

I'm a manly man, so I don't do perfumes. Besides, using perfumes messes up my pheromones.
I'm one hunnert percent O' Natural, baby.

Guess its time to use deodorants again.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:27 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,417,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Well, as a Jewish person, I have been taught NOT to accept the Bible as G-d's word... we don't take it as His literal word, but rather a human interpretation of G-d's will. So I could say "it bothers me how you Christians all take it as G-d's literal word" - but I won't, since I would never impose my beliefs and upbringing on others. Why can't you have the same respect for non-Christians?? You're allowed to believe whatever you want, but that doesn't mean the rest of us are misguided for having a different outlook. And yes, even Atheists have the same right & deserve the same amount of respect.
I won't ponder on this any longer. But you clearly asked why can't I have the same respect for non-christians, as if I don't respect other viewpoints. In fact, I do respect other viewpoints to the point where I embrace them without debating or arguing about it. What bothers me is for you or anyone to assume that because of what I believe, I am thinking that others are misguided for not believing as me. I don't expect you or anyone to believe as me. Just as you have the right to believe what you want, so do I. Some of us are just more articulate in defending what we believe than others, and as a result of being BLESSED in the skill of articulation (ha, ha, ha), some feel threatened or envious because they can't present their arguments just as well or better.

As far as this being a forum for everyone to discuss, then why reply to my post as if it angered you for me stating my opinion about people needing to read the bible. In 2 Timothy 4:2 it clearly says to convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. I applaud you for being able to read the Torah and or Scriptures in the original tongue. I don't know if you were letting me know that to prove or show me how smart you are, and or dumb anyone else is for not being able to read the bible in its original tongue. But God's word has been translated in many languages, and I leave it at that.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 6,359 times
Cool Bisexuality -Etc

I suggest you read th book-Sex On The Brain-it is writtenby a woman. Ans visit the website on Bonobo monkeys. And of course being familiar with Greek culture and others where the males could indulge in sex with other males. The literature and genetics seem to provide us with the knowledge that having sex M2M and F2F and M2F is very normal even though it might not be acceptable culturally. Is it immoraal or wrong religiously speaking? Americans have always had a repressed sexulaity when compared with other cultures-or at least we don't want to talk about it. I work from the ethic that if it doesn't hurt anyone or a relationship it;s okay-1 should want good for others and not suffering-if you truly believe the bible is de facto the Word of God then it paints the picture of a God that kills certain groups of people-Muslims-christians and Jews all believe they have the "ear of God " and "gon on our side." I have no problem with homosexuality-bisexuals or Male/female relationships.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:11 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,890,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I won't ponder on this any longer. But you clearly asked why can't I have the same respect for non-christians, as if I don't respect other viewpoints. In fact, I do respect other viewpoints to the point where I embrace them without debating or arguing about it. What bothers me is for you or anyone to assume that because of what I believe, I am thinking that others are misguided for not believing as me. I don't expect you or anyone to believe as me. Just as you have the right to believe what you want, so do I. Some of us are just more articulate in defending what we believe than others, and as a result of being BLESSED in the skill of articulation (ha, ha, ha), some feel threatened or envious because they can't present their arguments just as well or better.

As far as this being a forum for everyone to discuss, then why reply to my post as if it angered you for me stating my opinion about people needing to read the bible. In 2 Timothy 4:2 it clearly says to convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. I applaud you for being able to read the Torah and or Scriptures in the original tongue. I don't know if you were letting me know that to prove or show me how smart you are, and or dumb anyone else is for not being able to read the bible in its original tongue. But God's word has been translated in many languages, and I leave it at that.
To address your last comment, I didn't say that to impress you... I was just responding to your comment about non-Christians not having read the Bible (which I actually deleted, but later regretted not leaving it alone), which is obviously a false assumption. As for the rest of it, I didn't intend to attack or sound angry, and I think I even put a smiley face at the end? I was just responding to your generalizations, and what seemed like a lack of consideration for non-Christians... by making a statement that ALL people should take the Bible literally, you're basically discounting other faiths & beliefs. Anyway, I also don't want to dwell on this, but I really didn't mean any disrespect - just occasionally need to remind people that we all have different beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality