Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 08:39 AM

49 posts, read 44,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Hitler was an occultist who only pretended to be Catholic.
He was raised Roman Catholic, and knew how to use the principles of Christianity to get most of the Catholic German population to support his regime. Whether he himself was Catholic or not is almost irrelevant. And the Pope at the time essentially enabled the Third Reich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 08:50 AM

869 posts, read 972,104 times
Quote:
Or that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Such as the intentions of serving God while mockingly practicing something God detests?

Quote:
.Funny, Jesus distilled the whole Bible down to 1 golden rule: 'Love thy neighbor'.

Scriptures do not exist in a vacuum as you would conveniently have it my friend. Cherry picking verses and isolating them to suit your fancy is glaring defective methodology.

Quote:
The way some Christians treat homosexuals almost makes me believe that it is impossible for Christians to have a homosexual neighbor.
So you are being treated unjustly because you are being told what the Bible says? The way you homosexuals react to the Christian message almost makes me believe that homosexuals of your particular kind would prefer that Christianity didn't exist.

Quote:
.I guess you're only interested in trashing sinners?
Thanks for separating me from sinners but despite your good intentions I am as much a sinner as anyone else. The only difference perhaps between us is that I believe one should try to respectfully follow the Bible and you prefer trash it and to make your own rules..

Quote:
This might be the Christian way, but I'm certain it isn't Jesus' way.

LOL! You mean the Jesus that you people say was having coitus with John? Tell you what. You can have that Christ all to yourselves. You deserve him.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:23 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
In your universe and in your Bible that you have conveniently created in that personal universe.
Kind of like in your personal universe where you've rejected these verses?

Quote:
18 No man who has any defect is to come near: no man who is blind, lame, facially disfigured, or deformed; 19 no man who has a broken foot or hand, 20 or who is a hunchback or a dwarf, (A) [a] or who has an eye defect, a festering rash, scabs, (B) or a crushed testicle.
Leviticus 21:18-20

...Or do you actually reject the blind and the disabled from your congregation?

Everyone trashes parts of the Bible, even the most diehard Christians. The only difference between Christians and others is that most people trash all of the Bible whereas Christians only trash some of it.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:37 AM

869 posts, read 972,104 times
Originally Posted by Radrook

Quote:
Kind of like in your personal universe where you've rejected these verses?

Wow! That's devastating! LOL

Quote:
:
18 No man who has any defect is to come near: no man who is blind, lame, facially disfigured, or deformed; 19 no man who has a broken foot or hand, 20 or who is a hunchback or a dwarf, (A) [a] or who has an eye defect, a festering rash, scabs, (B) or a crushed testicle.

Leviticus 21:18-20

...Or do you actually reject the blind and the disabled from your congregation?

Listen my friend, that was speaking of the physical requirements for the priesthood under Mosai Law. You see, the Law had prophetic shadows as explained in Hebrews 11. One of those prophetic shadows was the Levitical priesthood. The high priest was a prophetic shadow of Jesus. So a high priest with a physical deformity would not work prophetically since Jesus was to be perfect.

Quote:
Everyone trashes parts of the Bible, even the most diehard Christians. The only difference between Christians and others is that most people trash all of the Bible whereas Christians only trash some of it.

Well, considering how you just misunderstood and misapplied scripture I really don't see why any further statemernts you make on the subject should be given any weight since you are obviously groping.

Quote:
Matthew 15:14
Quote:
- from Miles Coverdale's Bible, 153
Let they go, they are ye blynde leaders of ye blynde. Wha one blinde leadeth another, they fall both i ye diche.

Quote:
Have Aaron you brother brought to you from among the Israelites, along with his sons Nadab and Abihu, Eleazar and Ithamar, so they may serve me as priests." However, physical blemishes disqualified any male descendant of Aaron, according to Leviticus 21:17-23, from which 21:17 is presented: "The Lord said to Moses, 'Say to Aaron: 'For the generations to come non of your descendants who has a defect may come near to offer the food of his God.'"
http://www.realtime.net/~wdoud/topics/levpriest.html

Jesus, Our Great High Priest

(Hebrews 4:14-5:10)

14 Therefore since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens—Jesus the Son of God—let us hold fast to the confession. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tested in every way as we are, yet without sin

Last edited by Radrook; 05-20-2011 at 09:51 AM..

Old 05-20-2011, 11:26 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
Listen my friend, that was speaking of the physical requirements for the priesthood under Mosai Law. You see, the Law had prophetic shadows as explained in Hebrews 11. One of those prophetic shadows was the Levitical priesthood. The high priest was a prophetic shadow of Jesus. So a high priest with a physical deformity would not work prophetically since Jesus was to be perfect.
So would you let a blind or disabled person serve as a priest, bishop, cardinal, pastor, or other high position in the church?

Old 05-20-2011, 03:44 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Thomas R. Which only proves that believing that homosexuality is wrong because the bible said so is as morally repulsive as Hitler stating that the Jews are inferior people because they are born Jewish.
In that Hitler also wrote a book and had a legal code. I don't think I meant that all culturally formative books and legal codes are completely interchangeable, just that many to most of the major ones have been used to justify bad actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
FYI Hitler and the Nazi’s Reich Minister of Propaganda Joseph Goebbels were both Catholics and anti-gay.
Hitler helped organize the Protestant Reich Church and cohabited with Eva Braun outside of marriage. He emphasized being Catholic when he felt it would help him politically, but he was very much lapsed or just apostate. Nazism was criticized/condemned by Pope Pius XI.

Goebbels had a solid Jesuitic education, but had pretty much rejected Catholicism in adulthood.

And it's not clear they were even that anti-gay at first. Ernst Rohm of the Nazi SA was gay and they likely knew it. Also their reasons for objecting to homosexuality were mostly not religious. They did not observe Christian sexual morality in most things as the illegitimate children of "properly Aryan unions" were at times supported and many of them openly had mistresses. No they largely objected to homosexuality more on the grounds that "Aryans" should reproduce more Aryans and because they wanted to win over conservative Germans. Despite atheist attempts to paint them as such they were not a Christian or Catholic regime. Their mindset was a mix of pseudo-scientific "Social Darwinism", eugenics, and magical thinking. A "Christianist" regime would not have euthanized the disabled, declared baptism is unable to "save Jews", enslaved Polish Catholics, and killed Christianized Romany/Gypsies. They were neither atheistic nor Christian. And I am moderately well-read in this subject and received an A in the course on it.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:50 PM

118 posts, read 111,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
God never said that homosexuality is wrong...God has never said anything. It may be in the bible, but the bible was written by men, and has been used for thousands of years to justify prejudice, not just against gays, but against women and people with different beliefs, among others.

The bible is probably the worst example of hate literature that I have ever read.

You never, ever judge a religion by the abuse of it. ANY religion OR worldview can be politicized and abused. Also, hate literature? Why, because some don't want to be held accountable, so they just call it "hateful?" Like it or not, the Bible IS God's word, and though it was written by humans, it is inspired by the spirit of God. God has never spoken? Funny, I seem to remember reading the Bible is the very word of God. Whether or not you believe that is up to you. However, if you question the validity of the Bible you better come prepared rather than typing silly generalizations. Why not attack the manuscriptual evidence that speaks to its consistency and accurancy? How about the number of manuscripts compared to any other historic book?

The Bible makes it markedly clear where God stands regarding homosexuality. Anyone who says otherwise is twisting scripture to fit his or her agenda.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:11 PM

118 posts, read 111,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
So you believe the Earth is flat and geocentric and that there is a solid dome on top of the earth? That's a word for word literal reading of the Bible, and that's exactly what the ancient Hebrews believed.

You are aware that homosexuality was not discovered until 1900 A.D. right? How then could it be in a book written 2000+ years earlier? That's like claiming the Bible condemns the internet.

The most common type of same-sex behavior in the Bible is prostitution and pederasty (heterosexuals having sexual relations with young boys in addition to their wives/mistresses/concubines).

Those were the only types of behavior prevelant enough for the Bible to discuss. Homosexuality is strictly an orientation, and says nothing about one's behavior. A celibate homosexual is not condemned in the Bible, nor are lesbians, nor are men who only have oral sex with men.
Homosexuality not "discovered" until 1900? Perhaps it didn't have a name, or it wasn't labled as such prior to 1900, but the act was still there. Jews in the ancient world knew of the act, and Biblical language clearly speaks out against it. Maybe I am missing your point... what exactly are you trying to say?

Old 05-20-2011, 05:44 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylorguy View Post
You never, ever judge a religion by the abuse of it. ANY religion OR worldview can be politicized and abused. Also, hate literature? Why, because some don't want to be held accountable, so they just call it "hateful?" Like it or not, the Bible IS God's word, and though it was written by humans, it is inspired by the spirit of God. God has never spoken? Funny, I seem to remember reading the Bible is the very word of God. Whether or not you believe that is up to you. However, if you question the validity of the Bible you better come prepared rather than typing silly generalizations. Why not attack the manuscriptual evidence that speaks to its consistency and accurancy? How about the number of manuscripts compared to any other historic book?

The Bible makes it markedly clear where God stands regarding homosexuality. Anyone who says otherwise is twisting scripture to fit his or her agenda.
I judge Christianity by the actions and attitudes of it's members such as yourself...Thankfully most do not believe in a literal bible.

Have you actually read the bible? It is rife with infanticide, fratricide, genocide, rape, human sacrifice, slavery among other atrocities, but you object to something as harmless as homosexuality...What the hell is the matter with your sense of morality?

Again the bible was not written nor is "inspired" by any god... I have no idea why anyone in their right mind would think it was and worship such an evil entity.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:21 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
Well for one thing, if a man worships his religion then he is in reality worshipping man since man created religion so if that man hated homosexuals that is exactly what he will teach his followers..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality