Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 09:38 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
But the actions are generally what we're talking about. I'm attracted to men as much, or possibly more, than I am women. However the person is likely not talking about me or even people exclusively same-sex attracted who live like me.
Why do we discuss people as though their sexuality is the only aspect of their existence? Homosexuality is an attraction. It says nothing about their behavior. There are celibate gays, promiscuous gays, monogamous gays, gays married to women with children, etc. It seems the anti-gay crowd always lumps gays into one group associated with their behavior and calls it a "lifestyle", which always refers to the stereotypes of promiscuity, spreading HIV, and wearing women's clothes at pride parades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 12:25 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,130,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Why do we discuss people as though their sexuality is the only aspect of their existence? Homosexuality is an attraction. It says nothing about their behavior. There are celibate gays, promiscuous gays, monogamous gays, gays married to women with children, etc. It seems the anti-gay crowd always lumps gays into one group associated with their behavior and calls it a "lifestyle", which always refers to the stereotypes of promiscuity, spreading HIV, and wearing women's clothes at pride parades.
Good points, Fiyero.
I like how you distinguished sexuality from identity... sexuality is a part of one, not who one is.
Homosexuality is: a sexual attraction to, or sexual relations with, persons of the same sex.
So homosexuality can be either..

1. just desire or
2. action based on that desire.

When people say gay lifestyle, as Thomas mentioned, I believe they refer to those who are acting on their sexual desires, since lifestyle refers to living & doing.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:58 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Yes I do dislike some of that and think it's even counterproductive at times. If the desire is for gays to live chaste lives than, in this age at least, it would likely be best if they can admit it and get advice on how to live chaste lives. I've been lucky in that I'm a tiny deformed man so avoiding temptation is comparatively easy, also I'm naturally self-involved so haven't really done much with women either, but not everyone is self-involved with a deformed body. If they want to live chaste, as is church teaching, it's probably good that there are groups for that. If they don't want to live chaste it's possibly helpful for the Old-Catholic-Church or UCC or Quakers or someone to step in with that.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:01 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,397,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
Now Now...that ain't the right attitude....demons no matter how nice and charming they are..and speak all nice and such, and put up the alure of being righteous and sound and safe and all...are still demons....no two hoots about it....and they will remain demons until they truly change their tune to a more acceptable solution to their bent mindset.....they are not male..or...female....there for they are not the same...and it is not male nor female who needs to accept them....it is God...and God already passed judgement on them once.....this is the last chance for them to make a real change.....If one is Gay..(Male or Female) those two genders are for eachother...that means a Gay male should marry a Gay Female...and or vise versa.....that solves the problem....two wrongs canciling out eachothers sins.....amen?....well.... it works on paper....smile....Nothing else will do...for the wedlock under God....man and women it is...and it will stay....or else.

And any church that has been infiltrated by the demonic and the IDOL, God spoke about in his commandments...should be investigated, and all them demons rounded up and put to true justice.

Then once the IDOL is removed, and the false Pasters, preachers, and clergy are removed...true blessing and the true Love of God will abide over them who wed the right way, for the right reasons...helper of the Garden...to put back sinlessly what was taken in disobediance...and leave it alone....that is step one.....sharing and caring and giving..and recieving blessings....and we share all seeds and animals and insects and water, and air, and soils...freely!,,,as Givens...under that truth of God, and under his commandments, precepts, and covenants....upheld...as they were written!...so shall they be done!.....and that means we correct ourselves to that...no acceptions...no other way....Jesus is showing us the way.

And the only ones who took that step so far with Christ, were rounded up slaughtered, imprisoned, silenced, and institutionalized.......wonder why?.....DEMONS!

It is because of them...the blood is on their own heads....Because they hate God..and righteousness..and holy...and simple people living for free and thanking God.

The ones making them demons..and the root cause is in their hands, heads, and hearts...not knowingly today?...surely we all read what Jesus was saying about the tax and the coin and the idea of wealth...."Your making a den of Robbers and thieves", sinners, and evildoers"...with that idea...and he kicked it out of his fathers temple/house....who is following that act of Christ Jesus today?,,,if the churches now accept the idol again as tidings and nothing else?...and all peoples are asked to use for living....where is this going wrong?...no one believes anymore because Sin and Evil and the spirit of delusional thinking are upon them....as the demonic in the churches put over them a curse to bore more demons!...and the nations and the kingdoms of the world are now using and seeing a rise in numbers of...while they try to slaughter sheep herders and marijuana and poppie growers.......wonder why?

oh no. it is the opposite..inforce $$$...sell it as the only way for life ro to live life...sell or give the guns to the poor for profits..so they slaughter eachother more!!..more blood more demons!....and then move in and take control setting up more industrial stupidity to pollute more the earth and the life, for more profits and gains in dead things...and more wars and slaughtering is coming for more profits and gains...while say we are in debt...to make a need to continue paying....pay pay pay...always wanting more...but never having enough to solve for the evil nor the sins...eh?......pointing the never ending finger at the ones who are in the way of twisted progress into nothing important....imprisoning, institutionalizing, sanctioning, and assasinating People....in the name of
DEMON-OCRACY...which is a hypocrisy onto the lord JESUS...full of lies and liars..selling children and people for sex AND INTO SLAVERY AGAIN....and other things...and asking constantly for humansacrifices...in wars and hatred..and spying...and lying..AND UNDERHANDEDNESS To cause it all to fester up...round and round and round we go in time...never questioning that IDOL of Engraven Image thing......constantly doing the wrong things/detramentals...to make profits off of...while breaking every commandment of God......wonder why?,,,,DEMONS!...smells like teen spirit....Demensia Number 5....making planet earth a garbage dump, and full of toxic swill....who is in support of that?....DEMONS!
I quit reading after the first paragraph. I don't even know what to retort with. All I can say is you need to be deprogrammed !!!

Old 07-09-2011, 10:59 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Good points, Fiyero.
I like how you distinguished sexuality from identity... sexuality is a part of one, not who one is.
Homosexuality is: a sexual attraction to, or sexual relations with, persons of the same sex.
So homosexuality can be either..

1. just desire or
2. action based on that desire.

When people say gay lifestyle, as Thomas mentioned, I believe they refer to those who are acting on their sexual desires, since lifestyle refers to living & doing.
But you are still trying to limit homosexuality to sexual desire or sexual behavior.

Do you limit your own heterosexual orientation to just desire and having sex? Or do you include love, commitment, family, and how you relate to other people?

Sexual orientation (whether heterosexual, bisexual or homosexual) also involves a person's feelings, their sense of identity and how a person relates emotionally and romantically to others.

Sexual Orientation

"Sexual orientation is closely tied to the intimate personal relationships that meet deeply felt needs for love, attachment, and intimacy. In addition to sexual behaviors, these bonds include nonsexual physical affection between partners, shared goals and values, mutual support, and ongoing commitment."

http://www.apa.org/topics/sexuality/sorientation.pdf

Sexual orientation, homosexuality and bisexuality

When you continue to only post about "gay sex" (especially wild distortions from anti-gay propaganda articles), you come across as someone who is so obsessed with sex, and so obsessed with vilifying gays, you are incapable of seeing gay and lesbian people as individual people who fall in love, have relationships, commit to their partners, have children/families and careers, just as many straight people do.

Some of the "lifestyles" of gay and lesbian people I know involve working as dedicated doctors, nurses, counsellors, psychologists, disability workers, aged care workers, teachers, university lecturers etc. Some have children, all of them have families, most of them are in long term loving relationships.

Yet you try to reduce the lives of all these individual people down to sex acts.

Do you only think of sex acts when you think about other straight people? I doubt it.

Do you seriously think that these individuals are promiscuous, sex-obsessed, disease ridden, immoral, drug taking, mentally ill, assless-chaps wearing, cross-dressing perverts who want to recruit your children into the unnatural "gay lifestyle" of having unprotected risky anal sex all day with anything that breathes?

Because that's what your endless posts vilifying gay people look like.

Last edited by Ceist; 07-09-2011 at 11:19 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 04:16 AM

I think the issue is that the behavior is what's objectionable. Two people of the same sex having a deep emotional connection is not objectionable within orthodox Christianity. Indeed it's pretty openly condoned in several stories of the Bible. The focus is on sex because that's what's considered objectionable.

Still the term "homosexual" obviously refers to the sexual just as heterosexual does. I can understand wanting it to be more expansive, but the redefinition of words is not going to be universally agreed on. Heterosexuality does not mean love, family, human connection. It can have all those things sure, but a person is still heterosexual if they have none of them. A person who has casual/loveless sex with any opposite-sex person they desire is heterosexual so long as they only desire opposite-sex people. That stays even if they never have a lasting love with anyone. A homosexual who marries an opposite-sex person s/he deems "a kindred spirit", and helps raise his/her children from a previous relationship, is still homosexual. It doesn't matter how devoted such a person is to their spouse, if their sexual desires are only for their own sex they're still a homosexual.

It's not saying that their sexual desires or actions define them, but it is what defines their homosexuality or heterosexuality. Because that's pretty much what the word means.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:23 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
I think the issue is that the behavior is what's objectionable. Two people of the same sex having a deep emotional connection is not objectionable within orthodox Christianity. Indeed it's pretty openly condoned in several stories of the Bible. The focus is on sex because that's what's considered objectionable.

Still the term "homosexual" obviously refers to the sexual just as heterosexual does. I can understand wanting it to be more expansive, but the redefinition of words is not going to be universally agreed on. Heterosexuality does not mean love, family, human connection. It can have all those things sure, but a person is still heterosexual if they have none of them. A person who has casual/loveless sex with any opposite-sex person they desire is heterosexual so long as they only desire opposite-sex people. That stays even if they never have a lasting love with anyone. A homosexual who marries an opposite-sex person s/he deems "a kindred spirit", and helps raise his/her children from a previous relationship, is still homosexual. It doesn't matter how devoted such a person is to their spouse, if their sexual desires are only for their own sex they're still a homosexual.

It's not saying that their sexual desires or actions define them, but it is what defines their homosexuality or heterosexuality. Because that's pretty much what the word means.
The word homosexual is derived from the Greek word "homo" which means "same", and the Latin word "sexus" which means "'male or female sex, gender" or "of or pertaining to the fact of being male or female". It refers to gender, not the act of sex. So the word homosexual doesn't really mean same-sex sex, it just means "same gender."

Words on Word History by Phil Baldi

Heterosexuality and homosexuality has everything to do with how someone sees themselves in relation to others and who someone loves and relates to emotionally, not just who they have sex with.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
The focus is on sex acts in a specific context. Never does the Bible say "Homosexuality is a sin". If homosexuality were such the evil sin most conservatives claim, why, out of over 37,000 Biblical verses (and that's not including the Apocrypha which says nothing), do only 5 of them ever mention same-sex behavior, and every single one of them is in the context of either pagan worship practices of surrounding cultures, or rape? Not even Jesus saw fit to discuss homosexuality, but he did discuss divorce, adultery, self-righteous legalism, etc. all of which are very prevalent among conservatives. How did homosexuality become such a monumental sin to trump all other issues when the Bible barely ever talks about it? Most Jews are even agreeing the Torah needs to be reevaluated on this issue. Why are Christians so stubborn?

Quote:
Correct. Orientation refers to attractions and desires, not acts. A man who is attracted to other men but never has sex with them is still gay.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
The word homosexual is derived from the Greek word "homo" which means "same", and the Latin word "sexus" which means "'male or female sex, gender" or "of or pertaining to the fact of being male or female". It refers to gender, not the act of sex. So the word homosexual doesn't really mean same-sex sex, it just means "same gender."

Words on Word History by Phil Baldi

Heterosexuality and homosexuality has everything to do with how someone sees themselves in relation to others and who someone loves and relates to emotionally, not just who they have sex with.
And as I recall the word "calculus" comes from a word meaning "small stone."

Yes literally "homosexual" just translates to "same sex." Still that's not the meaning usually meant or we'd be calling women's colleges "homosexual" as they're same-sex. Likewise "homophobia" literally translates to "fear of sameness" so in literal terms an actual "homophobic" heterosexual might be one who likes being with homosexuals as they would be a person who "fear sameness."

Generally speaking though when people say "sexual" they actually mean "sexual", they aren't meaning what it's root word can relate to. And yes who you are attracted to can have a big impact in how you relate to others. However it's still about who you are attracted to, sexually or romantically. (Granted I am not interested in having relationships so I find making it defining of everything a tad reductive)

Last edited by Thomas R.; 07-10-2011 at 05:02 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
And as I recall the word "calculus" comes from a word meaning "small stone." It's a neat trick that you can make "sexual" not even mean "sexual" but it's not going to be universally persuasive. That's mostly all I mean.
Is that really a stretch? Sex refers to your chromosomes (XX or XY), as well as sexual activity.

If you said you desired the "same sex", would someone understand you to mean you desire to have the same kind of sex you've always had or does it refer to whether you desire men or women? I wouldn't consider that a neat trick. English is a funny language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality