Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2011, 01:19 AM

41 posts, read 115,218 times

Advertisements

I ask this question as someone with just a general interest in theology and sociology (in particular an interest in the interaction between culture and religion), as opposed to having done any academic in either fields.

One of the things that has always interested me is how different regions of the world have over the long-term (not just decades, but often centuries, etc) generally had consisently differing levels of religiosity.

'Religiosity' here meaning the importance to which the 'median' member of any given nation/group gives to religion as a core aspect of their identity.

There are several examples of this. It is generally widely agreed that with regards to the Arab World/Middle-Eastern region, the further north and west you go from Saudi Arabia, the progressively more secular and modern the region becomes. So, the Levant/Egypt is more secular than Saudi Arabia/Gulf States and North Africa is more secular than the Levant/Egypt.

There are probably some exceptions to this (for instance, Lebanon in the Levant probably has similar levels of religiosity to North-West Africa), but it generally holds true).

Similarly, it is generally accepted that Southern Europe is more religious than Northern Europe (in particular the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland). From my own reading (which is not exactly 'academic-level'), this is a long-term thing.

I remembering reading somewhere that not only were the Nordic nations Christianised late in history, they were always 'thinly Christianised' and that in particular since the rise of the various Nordic Lutheran state churches, it could be considered more an 'ethnic religion' based on national identity, than on personal devotion.

So, my question for those who know more about this than myself, is, is there any general explainations for these long-term regional differences in religiosity?

I am interested in particular about why Northern Europe is generally less religious than Southern Europe, but also about other regions of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 05:04 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
I'm not sure I entirely believe this. The Danes have, at times in history, been pretty intensely religious. (The Danish films "Ordet" and "Babette's Feast" deal with this period) There was an element of Pietism and even the prohibition of things like dancing in some places. They're not particularly religious now. Poland became Christian fairly late in European historical terms, after Iceland I believe, but I think it's at least arguable they're more religious/Catholic than the Spanish.

Still possibly certain regions or cultures do have aspects that make them more or less amenable to religion. Not sure.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:53 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
If anything, I believe Pietism highlights the general irreligiosity of the region. It was a proportional reaction to what was seen as a society that was, as the OP described as 'thinly Christianized'. Even through the centuries of Christian rule in Norway, elements of low mythology persisted since heathen times. While reverence for the ancient gods was forbidden, the forests, rocks and steams are still inhabited, folklorically, by trolls, gnomes, elves, etc.

In a broadly pious society, extremists like the Pietists would not have arisen.

Regarding Poland, while areas of what is today within the boundaries of Poland was Christianized late, indeed about a century after Iceland, the character of the region, while solidly observant is not characterized by extremist religious sects like the Pietists, just regular mundane Catholicism. It just seems extreme because Catholicism is, in many parts of the modern world a shadow of its former self to the point that someone who takes communion or confesses on a regular basis is regarded as uber religious

Old 05-14-2011, 05:49 PM

335 posts, read 375,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajn_australia_1988 View Post
So, my question for those who know more about this than myself, is, is there any general explainations for these long-term regional differences in religiosity?

I am interested in particular about why Northern Europe is generally less religious than Southern Europe, but also about other regions of the world.
A short answer would be culture, as mentioned already, and secular influence.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:51 PM

176 posts, read 288,333 times
I think a lot of it has to do with education. Compare the south eastern United States to the north eastern United States. Huge difference.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:52 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If anything, I believe Pietism highlights the general irreligiosity of the region. It was a proportional reaction to what was seen as a society that was, as the OP described as 'thinly Christianized'. Even through the centuries of Christian rule in Norway, elements of low mythology persisted since heathen times. While reverence for the ancient gods was forbidden, the forests, rocks and steams are still inhabited, folklorically, by trolls, gnomes, elves, etc.

In a broadly pious society, extremists like the Pietists would not have arisen.

Regarding Poland, while areas of what is today within the boundaries of Poland was Christianized late, indeed about a century after Iceland, the character of the region, while solidly observant is not characterized by extremist religious sects like the Pietists, just regular mundane Catholicism. It just seems extreme because Catholicism is, in many parts of the modern world a shadow of its former self to the point that someone who takes communion or confesses on a regular basis is regarded as uber religious
Interesting response, I'll have to think on that.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Even through the centuries of Christian rule in Norway, elements of low mythology persisted since heathen times. While reverence for the ancient gods was forbidden, the forests, rocks and steams are still inhabited, folklorically, by trolls, gnomes, elves, etc.
This is quite an interesting point. I remember reading sometime ago an article which suggested that one of the reasons why environmentalism was so strong in many parts of Northern Europe (especially the Nordic nations) was, among many other factors, that the pre-Christian religious traditions featured a particularly high level of 'nature worship' compared to those in other parts of Europe.

The argument the writer made was that even though people in these regions no longer worshipped the ancient gods, cultural practises such as holding natural places, forest, rivers, etc as to a degree sacred and quasi-spiritual had remained. The writer was actually writing this from a mocking and satrical perspective, but even as someone who is very sympathetic to environmental causes (on scientific grounds) I can see how on at least some level, this is a good explaination.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
There was an element of Pietism and even the prohibition of things like dancing in some places.
That is certainly a prohibition based on particular religous tradition, but I would not say particular stances on moral issues, especially what might in the USA (if I remember correctly) be called 'blue laws' are always good indicators of religiosity.

I'm speaking here in reference to Australia, so it may not apply to the US. Here in Australia, it has always been generally the case that mainline Protestants secularised and became non-observant many decades, even generations prior to Catholics doing so.

However, support for 'blue laws' has tended to be higher among these secularlised Protestants than among observant Catholics. I am referring here to laws that regulate the sale of alcohol, tobacco, gambling, etc.

We don't have many regoinal/state differences in Australia compared to the US, but one that is noticeable and has been much commented on by political commentators is on attitudes towards gambling, in particular poker machines.

In Victoria and South Australia (I'm South Australian), which are historically strongly Protestant states, there is strong bi-partisan opposition to gambling as essentially an 'immoral' activity. OTOH, in New South Wales, a state with a much higher Catholic population, there is very little opposition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality