Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Would You Like Atheists To Do?
What they're currently doing is fine 29 45.31%
I want them to be more polite in discussions 24 37.50%
I want them to become more humble and accepting 14 21.88%
I want them to quit removing "God" from the public square 8 12.50%
I want them to be quiet and never admit their disbelief in public 2 3.13%
I feel they must start believing in God, if they don't I won't trust them 3 4.69%
Other (Explain) 9 14.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 07:36 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times

Advertisements

Just to be fair. As with the Christian one I think some are offended by actions of certain atheists and others, admittedly many others, are offended by atheism itself. As with the last I'll add a poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 07:48 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Just to be fair. As with the Christian one I think some are offended by actions of certain atheists and others, admittedly many others, are offended by atheism itself. As with the last I'll add a poll.
Being polite would go a long way with me. I don't care whether people believe in God or not. I just don't like having people ridicule me because I do.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:56 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
I accidentally clicked the wrong one. I would like atheists to be more polite in discussions. Actually, I'd like everyone to be more polite in discussions, but since this is a poll about atheists, that translates to atheists in this case. But I would say the same for people with other beliefs as well.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:59 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
just for them to understand that belief or disbelief is not a valid IQ test.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:04 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Other.

Let go of their cult and relax

Old 05-15-2011, 11:16 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,792,765 times
I chose "I want them to be more polite in discussions" and " I want them to become more humble and accepting"
Atheists who tend to be militant are annoying and take atheism way to seriously. the purpose of atheism is to become unaffiliated with religion yet I see militant atheists become even more involved in religion which makes atheism look like a belief system.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:29 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Being polite would go a long way with me. I don't care whether people believe in God or not. I just don't like having people ridicule me because I do.
I don't like having people tell me I'm amoral and going to hell because I don't believe in their brand of crazy. Frankly, telling someone they deserve to die because they don't believe in a god is far, far worse than making fun of someone for baseless fairy-tale beliefs.

"What you believe is not based on fact, and is illogical and unreasonable."

VS

"DIE IN A FIRE, SINNER! You're going to get what's coming to you!"

Old 05-15-2011, 11:33 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Lose the materialist default delusion and deepen their awareness of the philosophical issues they gloss over and consider irrelevant . . . it only emphasizes their ignorance.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:39 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I don't like having people tell me I'm amoral and going to hell because I don't believe in their brand of crazy. Frankly, telling someone they deserve to die because they don't believe in a god is far, far worse than making fun of someone for baseless fairy-tale beliefs.

"What you believe is not based on fact, and is illogical and unreasonable."

VS

"DIE IN A FIRE, SINNER! You're going to get what's coming to you!"
Maybe you should be posting this in the "What would you like Christians to do" thread, Mercury. If I were an atheist, I wouldn't like to be told I'm amoral and going to hell either. As a Christian, I don't tell atheists that. But a lot of them still insult me and lump me in with the Christians who do.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:15 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
I think we Atheists could be a little more respectful sometimes. I try very hard to respect people who are respectful of other religions or atheism , sometimes the frustration does boil over and I will admit to venting. I apologise to those respectful moderate believers who get caught in the cross fire between fundies and atheists.

I genuinely do not comprehend people who believe in God but I do believe that unless they preach or try to push their religion onto others , or try to shape public policies then they should be extended the same courtesy I expect from them.

We should be able to discuss religion in a mature and intelligent fashion, and tolerant and respectful at all times. This should go for BOTH sides. I might think that faith is a strange and to me incomprehensible thing but it does not mean I should demean the other side unless they are really baiting.

At the end of the day if it does not affect me ( ie nobody is preaching to me about the "truth" in a public space or trying to shape politics) then believe what you wish. I might find it utterly bizarre but who am I to say !

I am not proud of venting even when baited to be honest as in a way I see it as lowering myself to the standards of the opposition and that is never something to relish. It is always easier to fling insults than to be level headed and ignore the baiting... I suppose in a way it is demeaning to give in and stoop down to the level of fundies. I just try to ignore the fundies usually , but it is often too easy to snap back and I can't say it makes me feel good.

Especially as there is no reasoning,or no logic to be used with an extremist . It is utterly pointless and a complete waste of breath, time and effort.

Religion to me should be an introspective part of your life as a believer, the personal relationship between you and your god. Surely a believer needs no interloper, no go between ?

I don't go around debating atheism to people in the streets so why do some believers think it acceptable to do so with their religion to others ? I will never understand that concept. People are intelligent enough to think for themselves without an outside agency or intervention. Or so I would like to believe anyway.

Being on C-D has opened my eyes to the truly bizarre beliefs of some people. I take no issue with those beliefs as long as they do not interfere with mine. If people want to believe in little green fairies at the bottom of the garden or the purple spotted lizard god then I really could not care less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality