Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 06:12 PM

866 posts, read 1,555,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendBeav View Post
I don't like that Mormonism is a pyramid scheme, whose origins are built on misogyny, a desire to philander, and racism.
I'm pretty sure you have to write something you LIKE about Mormons too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 06:21 PM

866 posts, read 1,555,824 times
Quote:
Also, apparently Mormons can't handle dissenting opinions about their religion, even when they're solicited.
I haven't noticed that here. All of the Mormons on here have argued our case just as politely as non-Mormons have. We can "handle dissenting opinions," but that doesn't mean we have to agree with them.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:23 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,700,711 times
I think we can pluck any thing out of something and find things we either agree or disagree with. At the end of the day Mormons are folks just like anyone else. They are allowed to err too. It's kinda like when someone says they don't tolerate intolerance. The person commits a no no by the very act of their intolerance to it. Humans can change and those things set in stone seem to crumble sometimes. Am I perfect? I don't know, are you? So why should someone expect the other to be if that perfection is unattainable? The perfection i'm finding more and more each day is in the ability of the human being to grow. To what that growth is is beyond me at this time, but never the less it's amazing! Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk

Old 05-19-2011, 07:19 PM

889 posts, read 819,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Pean View Post
I like the idea of speaking openly about the spirit and sharing personal revelations about prophecy, and talking openly about visions. I have shared the same visions Mormon Prophets. I absolutely connect with it in some profound ways, not all I agree with or fully understand. Buddhism allows for the higher speech as talking openly about visions and powers of prophecy, and I dig that about Mormonism. If sharing personal experiences I have with the Spirit makes me a Mormon Prophet, in that respect I wish to be a Mormon Prophet. I will gladly absorb that deity.

YouTube - ‪Star Trek Remastered second season opening‬‏

Space: The final frontier
These are the voyages of the Starship, Enterprise
Its 5 year mission
To explore strange new worlds
To seek out new life and new civilizations
To boldly go where no man has gone before

Old 05-19-2011, 07:26 PM

509 posts, read 1,258,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
What I don't like is that some Mormons, though certainly not all, seem to have a sense of superiority and look down on others not of their faith. Yes, I realize other religious groups are guilty of this, but it seems to be more prevalent among Mormons.
I think I could probably speak about this since a whole lot of Mormons are white American yet I am from Mexico, so as a minority it would be natural to say that I've experienced a sense of superiority from some members (KEY WORD IS SOME OF COURSE!) But I think for some of those members (and if they really do it because they feel superior then they'll be judged for it because it certainly goes against what Jesus Christ taught) this sense of superiority might come because a lot of them are well off economically or because they are so insulated in the LDS community that they behave differently when meeting some not of the faith.
Now, my experience has been different except when we lived in London. But there the reception of the members there was more of a cultural thing than a faith thing.
Additionally, there are many, many, many members who go on missions outside of the U.S., and many of them end up in third world countries. I believe they grow to love other people or cultures that other wise they wouldn't have and I think the majority of members, therefore, lack this sense of superiority BECAUSE of their experiences on the mission field AND of course because of the gospel.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post

YouTube - ‪Star Trek Remastered second season opening‬‏

Space: The final frontier
These are the voyages of the Starship, Enterprise
Its 5 year mission
To explore strange new worlds
To seek out new life and new civilizations
To boldly go where no man has gone before
Well thanks GoodToBeHome. I guess you would LOVE for this thread to be closed. I only wonder what an LDS has done to you personally that you have so much hatred towards us.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:32 PM

Regarding the different sects that broke off, what is the point that you are trying to make? What would you like to accomplish by pointing that out?

Old 05-19-2011, 07:34 PM

889 posts, read 819,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorhen3 View Post
Well thanks GoodToBeHome. I guess you would LOVE for this thread to be closed. I only wonder what an LDS has done to you personally that you have so much hatred towards us.
What? I love you guys. I just found the post I was referencing as a bit.....out there.

C'mon, you love the opening monologue to the original Star Trek. Just admit it. It's just gives you goosebumps. You don't have to tell me. I know it's true.

Last edited by GoodToBeHome; 05-19-2011 at 08:49 PM..

Old 05-19-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
You need to meet my lds bishop boss. He's a lying snake who has not the trust of one single person who works under him. His reputation precedes him. Hypocrite through and through.
Are you making your judgments of the gospel/church based on your experience with this one man?

Old 05-19-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I don't like that Mormonism is a pyramid scheme, whose origins are built on misogyny, a desire to philander, and racism.
But the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is a religion who believes in God, the Father and his Son and the Holy Ghost. Why would you even care about this church if you don't believe in God?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality