Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 03:59 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,566 times

Advertisements

"Most people spend their time providing for their day-to-day life,
starting a family, enjoying their leisure time, and so on. From
time to time, of course, they do something for society, but in
general they take care of their own affairs and work for
themselves. And yet, whether they like it or not, they live in a
community, and if troubles erupt in this community, their
personal possessions, even their life, may no longer be safe.
To focus on one's own interests, on one's own family and
possessions, is not therefore the best way to safeguard them,
since there is always the risk that events will take place in
society to sweep away everything in their path. History provides
us with numerous examples. Let's be clear about this:
individualism is not a worthwhile solution for anyone. The only
worthwhile solution is for each person to endeavour to do
something to improve collective life. Provided that happens,
then, yes, each individual will be safe."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov

Agree? Disagree? Discuss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 04:19 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
"Most people spend their time providing for their day-to-day life,
starting a family, enjoying their leisure time, and so on. From
time to time, of course, they do something for society, but in
general they take care of their own affairs and work for
themselves. And yet, whether they like it or not, they live in a
community, and if troubles erupt in this community, their
personal possessions, even their life, may no longer be safe.
To focus on one's own interests, on one's own family and
possessions, is not therefore the best way to safeguard them,
since there is always the risk that events will take place in
society to sweep away everything in their path. History provides
us with numerous examples. Let's be clear about this:
individualism is not a worthwhile solution for anyone. The only
worthwhile solution is for each person to endeavour to do
something to improve collective life. Provided that happens,
then, yes, each individual will be safe."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov

Agree? Disagree? Discuss!
We must become individual and learn to cope for ourselves before we can in turn help others. By this I mean that if you do not love yourself, you cannot love others. If you cannot overcome your own problems, you cannot help someone overcome theirs. If you cannot provide for yourself, you cannot provide for others. We must learn of the self first before we can project that onto others and a community. Community is very important but if the self is not taken care of, the community cannot be taken care of.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:02 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,915 times
People tend to live longer and happier lives when they have the bonds created from an active social life that involves friends, family, and the larger community. That being said, as Rev. points out above, if we don't spend time looking after ourselves, we are less able to provide anything of worth to others. Like most things in life, it's all about finding a balance.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:07 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Humankind evolved to live as a small collective (hunter-gatherer) society, so ultimately that's where we do best.

Truth be known, few people even in America live a truly individualistic life. We form "tribes" of family, coworkers, friends within the greater society.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:04 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,405,421 times
Individualism should be defined here. Everyone is born one, and the collective he is talking about is composed of individuals: or rather, their communications. Individuals are the actors, no collective is capable of acting as it is an abstraction. He is being circular, as when I act for a collective I act as an individual-both for me and the other.

All individuals are "for self" and "for the other" (as is all determinate "things") at the same time-that is individualism. An absolute individual, would only attempt "being for self" and that is a low stage of consciousness-the person who acts in the immediate. Eliminating the individual, would be an absolute "being for the other", attempting to eliminate the "being for self", this is also a low stage of consciousness and immediate: ie, neither can enter the ethical.

What is really going on here? A push for the commie?

Old 05-17-2011, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
We must become individual and learn to cope for ourselves before we can in turn help others. By this I mean that if you do not love yourself, you cannot love others. If you cannot overcome your own problems, you cannot help someone overcome theirs. If you cannot provide for yourself, you cannot provide for others. We must learn of the self first before we can project that onto others and a community. Community is very important but if the self is not taken care of, the community cannot be taken care of.
Do you think this is true only in small communities or globally as well?

Old 05-17-2011, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavemaster View Post
People tend to live longer and happier lives when they have the bonds created from an active social life that involves friends, family, and the larger community. That being said, as Rev. points out above, if we don't spend time looking after ourselves, we are less able to provide anything of worth to others. Like most things in life, it's all about finding a balance.
Well said.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Humankind evolved to live as a small collective (hunter-gatherer) society, so ultimately that's where we do best.

Truth be known, few people even in America live a truly individualistic life. We form "tribes" of family, coworkers, friends within the greater society.
in the strictest sense I think you're right. I think though that in the U.S. we have been so secure and prosperous since WW2 that while championing individual accomplishments we can lose sight of the larger system which makes freedom to pursue those accomplishments possible.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen antrim View Post
Individualism should be defined here. Everyone is born one, and the collective he is talking about is composed of individuals: or rather, their communications. Individuals are the actors, no collective is capable of acting as it is an abstraction. He is being circular, as when I act for a collective I act as an individual-both for me and the other.

All individuals are "for self" and "for the other" (as is all determinate "things") at the same time-that is individualism. An absolute individual, would only attempt "being for self" and that is a low stage of consciousness-the person who acts in the immediate. Eliminating the individual, would be an absolute "being for the other", attempting to eliminate the "being for self", this is also a low stage of consciousness and immediate: ie, neither can enter the ethical.
As usual you've made me think new thoughts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen antrim View Post
What is really going on here? A push for the commie?
Omraam was a spiritual teacher, drawing heavily from principles of Christianity but obviously way outside the bounds of orthodoxy.

The quote caught my eye and in a world where facebook can topple world leaders I've been thinking a lot about how all this will play out. Honestly - I remember a class called "social studies" in elementary school but had no idea what the term meant and since I stopped doing schoolwork in the fourth grade I am just now (at age 54) trying to understand how humanity's social structures work (both on a small and global scale).

Old 05-17-2011, 02:11 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Do you think this is true only in small communities or globally as well?
Both. If one "brick" is out of place, the whole thing can crumble if it's not taken care of. In the smaller communities though, people are more apt to take care of each other than with the larger communities. An example, I grew up in a "don't blink or you'll miss it" town and everyone knew everyone. When I went on my own, I moved to a much larger city and people tend to mind their own business more and could care less about the other guy. Sure, you'll have your close circle of friends but that isn't the whole community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality