U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 05-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Status: "I'd procrastinate,too, but I can't be bothered." (set 28 days ago)

14,261 posts, read 6,031,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
I have to say I completely agree with Mr. Hawking. I'm sure a lot of the religionists here are upset and say he's "unqualified" to give this opinion. However I'm sure if a preacher, a priest, a rabbi, or the Pope ventured into a scientific opinion you'd all applaud that.
For myself, I rather wonder whether preachers, priests or popes are 'qualified' to give an opinion on this matter. Hawking, as a smart bod and moreover, understanding the logical and rational methods of thought needed to arrive at sound conclusions, may be better qualified than those who can quote most of the Book from memory and totally believe it but do not really understand it or the the historical and constructional basis of it.

If they did, they might also come to the conclusion that it is is a book with little factual credibility and its gentile take on the Jewish heaven (God's throne perched on the top of the sky dome) is indeed a fairy tale as it has no more believability than Puss in Boots (Richie Whittington was at least a historical character)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-21-2011, 02:19 PM

591 posts, read 246,816 times
The Buddhist's, and Christian's spirit dies and is ressurected anew. There is life, death, an inbetween, and rebirth. To me, the Bible suggests that God will indeed bring back to life the one's who accept that phylosophy.

Unread 05-21-2011, 02:42 PM

5,695 posts, read 4,086,879 times
All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry. ~Edgar Allen Poe

Unread 05-21-2011, 02:53 PM

7,717 posts, read 4,632,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry. ~Edgar Allen Poe
And power and control.

Unread 05-21-2011, 04:56 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,936,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
I have to say I completely agree with Mr. Hawking. I'm sure a lot of the religionists here are upset and say he's "unqualified" to give this opinion. However I'm sure if a preacher, a priest, a rabbi, or the Pope ventured into a scientific opinion you'd all applaud that.
Nope (baring that it's not a priest, rabbi etc. who's actually qualified in that field, for there are some who are qualified)

Unread 05-21-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
The Bible doesn't need critical thinking because it doesn't require it. That is unless you are studying it to try and understand the people who wrote it.

The Pope may understand protocols, and stories of religion well, but is no more an expert in God than Stephen Hawking or myself.

You just said something doesn't need something because it doesn't need something. That's the sound awfully similar to Bill O'Reilly's "Tidal Logic". Essentially, you're saying that the Bible does not require critical thinking, because you said so, which is pretty awful reason since I'm pretty sure you are neither a literary scholar nor a Biblical/theological scholar who's word I can take faith in being correct in such matters.

Also, I'd say the Pope is more an expert in God than Stephen Hawking, you, or myself, because he was spent much time studying God. To dismiss something without first studying it, especially something that could be so series, is foolish.

Unread 05-21-2011, 08:47 PM

5,987 posts, read 2,299,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
You just said something doesn't need something because it doesn't need something. That's the sound awfully similar to Bill O'Reilly's "Tidal Logic". Essentially, you're saying that the Bible does not require critical thinking, because you said so, which is pretty awful reason since I'm pretty sure you are neither a literary scholar nor a Biblical/theological scholar who's word I can take faith in being correct in such matters.

Also, I'd say the Pope is more an expert in God than Stephen Hawking, you, or myself, because he was spent much time studying God. To dismiss something without first studying it, especially something that could be so series, is foolish.
Why does the Bible require critical thinking?, it's a book of opinion and historical half truths.

The Pope doesn't actually know that he has been studying God, he just thinks he has. He doesn't know any better than you or I, if he is actually making any sort of connection.

Unread 05-21-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Why does the Bible require critical thinking?, it's a book of opinion and historical half truths.

The Pope doesn't actually know that he has been studying God, he just thinks he has. He doesn't know any better than you or I, if he is actually making any sort of connection.

In order to understand what the Bible is trying to say, and not pull something like the Family Radio people, the Bible requires critical thinking. If one wishes to fully understand it and apply its lessons to their everyday life, it requires critical thinking, especially since much of what it has is written in metaphor, simile, and parable.

And you're right, the Pope doesn't know that he's been studying God, he believes it. However, he has spent much, MUCH, more time studying what he believes to be God than either of has. He knows how to interpret it better than you or I. I would say the same of the Dali Lama, who has a MUCH better understand of god, but in Bhuddist terms, than either of us, because he has spent much time studying what he believes to be god. My point here being, since people such as the Pope, the Dali Lama, and others have spent much time studying theology, I trust what they have to say on such matters, and choose to listen to the one that to me makes the most sense after having researched their beliefs (as I was taught in Catholic school believe it or not)

Unread 05-21-2011, 10:44 PM

11,806 posts, read 12,521,333 times
U would think that the Pope and the Dalai Lama might have doctrinal differences. Who would you side with in the case of a disagreement?

IMO, applying "critical thinking" to the Bible and not seeing it as a collection of mythology requires a set of 'givens' which the reader must keep in mind.

Unread 05-22-2011, 06:08 AM

2,929 posts, read 2,013,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post

Also, I'd say the Pope is more an expert in God than Stephen Hawking, you, or myself, because he was spent much time studying God.
So then, would it follow that the Pope is an "Expert Christian"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality