U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 05-27-2011, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Emerald Coast, FL
4,472 posts, read 3,869,259 times
Reputation: 6919

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
And yet how is it that this 4 year old boy came back with all kinds of information that he was not aware of before his NDE? How did he know about his sister that died before he was born? Or how was he able to describe his fathers grandfather, who died when his father was only 7 years old himself? Of course this was just the tip of the iceberg. It's easy to say that NDEs are not logical nor objective. That is until you get into the details of such accounts.
All of those things could have logical explanations. He could have overheard conversations he wasn't supposed to hear, or seen pictures his parents forgot they'd shown him or assumed he didn't understand. These supposed mysteries probably would not hold up to careful examination. Even if some things are extremely difficult to explain, there is an explanation. Count on it. If enough such things can be shown to have NO rational explanation, then perhaps you'd have a case, but NDE's in general have been adequately explained in physiological terms, so I see no reason to revert to a superstitious perspective without real, hard evidence.

I think you WANT to believe, which is why you aren't as skeptical as you should be about such claims.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2011, 10:11 AM
 
76 posts, read 32,808 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Why should I be skeptical? God already showed me a view of heaven years ago. And no one coached me. The kid is right, heaven is for real. And it's a place where all Christian believers will go. And people have been known to tell the truth. It's a shame no one is paying attention.
Unfortunately there is no proof to back up his or your story therefore it can not be claimed as fact. It can be used to inspire fellow believers or change the faith of people who don't have the logic to see this as just a story. That someone says they are telling the truth does not mean it is true. You pretend there is no room for any truth but the one you agree with. I say show me the evidence that you are right, you say God told me so it must be true. Where is the evidence? Quit presenting fiction as fact. If you read into what I wrote about NDEs earlier there are theories that can explain NDEs without resorting to lies or God. Since there are alternate explanations you can not use them as evidence that God exists.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2011, 10:26 AM
 
Location: 112 Ocean Avenue
5,706 posts, read 4,781,416 times
Reputation: 8663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylorguy View Post
Tell me Red Jacket... does atheism struggle with any of these points? The issue I take with a quote like this is that it attempts to cast a religious worldview in a negative light, yet does nothing to address the many shortcomings of Atheism itself. Let us face facts... When one looks at the 20th century at regimes such as that of Joseph Stalin... atheism doesn't exactly have clean hands, does it?
If you're implying atheism is some sort of religion, then just what isn't a religion?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2011, 10:28 AM
 
Location: South Wales, Yes, I'm, back!
15,563 posts, read 7,796,606 times
Reputation: 2623
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
All of those things could have logical explanations. He could have overheard conversations he wasn't supposed to hear, or seen pictures his parents forgot they'd shown him or assumed he didn't understand. These supposed mysteries probably would not hold up to careful examination. Even if some things are extremely difficult to explain, there is an explanation. Count on it. If enough such things can be shown to have NO rational explanation, then perhaps you'd have a case, but NDE's in general have been adequately explained in physiological terms, so I see no reason to revert to a superstitious perspective without real, hard evidence.

I think you WANT to believe, which is why you aren't as skeptical as you should be about such claims.
Campbell 34 has a long record of stoutly believing any far - fetched claims which support his belief while rejecting out of hand solid evidence against those beliefs.

This is another one.

"...as a reader also put it (in a comment Google ate):


.how would the boy recognize Gabriel? ...
Also, why would Jesus retain the scars while he is now in heaven? ...

In the end, readers may wonder why I am so intent on this matter. The answer is that books like this one are not only shot through with error, they also make it impossible to convince Christians of the importance of apologetics. Why care about the textual reliability of the NT? It must be guaranteed, because little Colton saw Jesus in person, dude."

Tekton Ticker: "Heaven is For Real" -- Restoration and Follow-Up

Why is it that they didn't go public at the time the young prophet had his revelation around 7 years ago? They only go public now with this book snapped up by thousands of believers desperate for the proof that facts don't seem to supply.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2011, 10:39 AM
 
Location: USA
870 posts, read 451,543 times
Reputation: 285
Here is an interesting article:

Quote:

Excerpt:

Evolution Is Religion--Not Science
by Henry Morris, Ph.D.

The writer has documented in two recent Impact articles1, 2 from admissions by evolutionists that the idea of particles-to-people evolution does not meet the criteria of a scientific theory. There are no evolutionary transitions that have ever been observed, either during human history or in the fossil record of the past; and the universal law of entropy seems to make it impossible on any significant scale.
Evolution Is Religion--Not Science
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2011, 11:38 AM
 
76 posts, read 32,808 times
Reputation: 21
Radrook that is a very interesting article. A bit biased, but interesting. I wish you would have put it in it's own thead though. I agree with the author ageism is just another religion. I have said so previously in another thread. Nobody has real evidence saying there is or is not a creator. Evolution can have a creator however. Naturalist evolution can not. I wish he would have differentiated that more. He mentioned it once but then stopped. I personally think both evolution and creationism should be taught in schools as what they are, ideas. Emphasis on either one, or the pseudoscientific approach it takes to treat macroevolution as proven fact is a discredit to science and only hinders our research. Faith has no place in science; we need to seek answers rather than claim results with no evidence. Scientists can have whatever faith they choose but it should not affect their studies.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2011, 01:27 PM
 
76 posts, read 32,808 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
If you're implying atheism is some sort of religion, then just what isn't a religion?
A spiritual belief based on faith rather than fact is a religion. You believe no gods exist. Do you know?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2011, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Metromess
11,805 posts, read 14,104,764 times
Reputation: 4766
How can a religion be based on something which does not exist? The burden of proof is upon the believer in something which he thinks does exist.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2011, 01:58 PM
 
76 posts, read 32,808 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
How can a religion be based on something which does not exist? The burden of proof is upon the believer in something which he thinks does exist.
Key word: thinks
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2011, 02:20 PM
 
1,426 posts, read 1,063,857 times
Reputation: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Why should I be skeptical? God already showed me a view of heaven years ago. And no one coached me. The kid is right, heaven is for real. And it's a place where all Christian believers will go. And people have been known to tell the truth. It's a shame no one is paying attention.
...have you actually read this book?

I'm about 75% done and there are so many questionable moments..

The reasoning of the parents seems to be "we never discussed it with him - so he must of heard it from Jesus himself!"

Nevermind the father is a pastor, nevermind the father admits the son "goes to sunday school" - he clearly must be getting his info from Jesus since the father can say he "never discussed it with him.." otherwise.

I'm tempted to start a thread once I'm done (later today or tomorrow) with the book, but - read it for yourself before you automatically believe in the story! And don't be afraid to ask "does that really make sense..?" or question the logic, motives, etc etc.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top