Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2011, 04:32 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
As you are making the positive claim "afterlife exists" the burden of proof is on you. That little illogical trick theists pull trying to dump the burden of proof is akin to me making a claim that a tiny invisible unicorn flies around my head all day and then me asking you to prove that it doesn't in fact exist.
I didn't say the afterlife positively exists. I believe it does. And I don't have try and "prove" it because we will all find out when our times comes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 04:35 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I didn't say the afterlife positively exists. I believe it does. And I don't have try and "prove" it because we will all find out when our times comes.
Well if you're going to run around ridiculing nonbelievers for not subscribing to your beliefs it'd be best to have some proof. Accepting things on admittedly no evidence shows a lack of critical thinking skills.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
1. So are you saying Hitler killed 6 million Jews to incourage the other Jews to return to Israel? Is that what you call self fulfillment?

2. Are you saying the nations blocked the Jews from seeking refuge in their nations during world war II to incourage the Jews to return to Israel?
Is that what you call self fulfillment?

3. Are you saying that Newton was wrong when he told us 250 years ago that the Jewish people would be returning from a worldwide exile, and return to the land of Israel and Jerusalem before the year 2060? Did Newton know about Hitler, or did he just base his understanding on the Bible? I believe what is nonsensical to you is the truth. That is why you dismiss Netons Biblical understanding of Bible prophecy even if it is true.

4. And as far as the poster who said he was Jesus Christ. That did verify what Scripture already told us. That many people would come in Christ name saying they were Christ.

David Wilkerson another Christian told us in 1974 that there would be peace between the United States, Russia, China, and Eastern Europe. He was right.

Wilkerson also told us in 1985 that there would be a holocaust of oil well fires burning in the Middle East. Five years later we all saw 700 oil well fires burning at one time in the Middle East. Wilkerson was right again.

Wilkerson was killed on April 27, 2011. And during that 24 hour period America experienced it's worst tornado outbreak in it's history. Wilkerson was killed in Texas, and that is where this tornado outbreak started. Wilkerson warned the world that God was going to start useing the weather to warn mankind of God's coming judgement. Such facts should not be dismissed or overlooked.

The only way you can say such stories make no sense. Is if you are willing to ignore what is already true. The truth is not nonsensical. To ignore it is. Everything that has been shown to you, is part of a much bigger plan.
What "facts?!?!" A random set of consequences=/= "facts."

Old 05-29-2011, 06:52 AM

869 posts, read 972,310 times
Quote:
What evidence is there that any of those people actually wrote what religionists claim they did? No one knows who actually wrote the Gospels and I for one doubt that anyone knows for sure who wrote any of the OT books.

The issue was the claim that they were all goat-herders.
What evidence do you have that they were all goat-herders?

BTW

I won't delve into a detailed time-wasting debate about who wrote what because when all is said and done you will STILL say that no one knows. One thing is for sure, those who go about challenging biblical authorships base their opinions on criteria that can easily be explained otherwise. I know. I have studied the viable counter-explanations and find them far more acceptable. Here is one
irrational reason given for casting doubt on authorship:

Change of style = a different write.

Yet the use of a different scribe or a different approach because of subject matter would explain the shift. You see, writers change styles to fit subject matter. So how logical would it be to assume that different styles signify different writers? Paul himself admitted using a scribe to write some of his letters to the churches. John speaks in one way in his Gospel and his three letters but entirely differently in the Revelation because the subject matter is entirely different. Or they ignore stylistic conventions of the culture or times involved.

But as I said, I won't go deeply into this. There are so many illogical ways that they go about their self appointed task that one is led to conclude that these individuals have lost all objectivity because of some uncontrollable anti-biblical obsession.

Last edited by Radrook; 05-29-2011 at 07:21 AM..

Old 05-29-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
What evidence do you have that they were all goat-herders?
It was a Figure of speech - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-29-2011, 08:32 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,100 times
Quote:
What "facts?!?!" A random set of consequences=/= "facts."
Random set of consequences?

It is written accounts of what will happen in the future that just happens to be true. Nonbelievers often use the word (COINCIDENCE) to avoid having to use the world (TRUE).

1. When Jesus Christ fulfilled the three hundred prophecies of the Old Tesatment. They will simply say people filled in the blanks. However, they can't explain why such prophecy blanks existed in the first place.

2. When they see the Jewish people returning to the land of Israel and Jerusalem. They will say this is a self fulfilled prophecy. Yet ignore the fact that Israel came into existance because the Jews had no were else to go during World War II. Nations around the world did not want them, and Hitler only wanted to kill them. And they call this a self fulfilled prophecy?

3. When David Wilkerson told us in 1974 that peace was coming to the United States, Russia, China, and Eastern Europe. And that happened. They often say. Well this was just a (COINCIDENCE).

4. When David Wilkerson told us in 1985 that we would see a holocaust of oil wells in the Middle East ablaze. And then five years later we saw 700 oilfields ablaze. Then again they say. This was just another(COINCIDENCE).

5. When Wilkerson died on April 27, 2011 after a lifetime of warning the world that God would start useing natural disasters to judge the world. And then Wilkerson is killed during the 24 hour period of time when America experiences it's worst tornado outbreak in it's history. And that tornado outbreak starts in the very state where Wilkerson was killed. Again they will say. This was just another (COINCIDENCE).

6. When Sir Issac Newton told us that before the year 2060 we would see Israel reborn as a nation once again. And many nations around the world would be angery because of this return. Once again they tell us. This was just another (COINCIDENCE).

Other such examples could be given. Yet all we would hear from the other side is, coincidence, coincidence, coincidence, coincidence. The fact is, the coincidence crowd has no interest in the truth. And maybe that is why we read in 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12. God adresses those who ignore the truth. "And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Last edited by Campbell34; 05-29-2011 at 08:42 AM..

Old 05-29-2011, 09:02 AM

869 posts, read 972,310 times
OK. Thanks for clearing that up. You see, at another forum there was this fellow who did argue vehemently that the Iraelites were all iliterate herders. So I had no way of knowing. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Random set of consequences?

It is written accounts of what will happen in the future that just happens to be true. Nonbelievers often use the word (COINCIDENCE) to avoid having to use the world (TRUE).

1. When Jesus Christ fulfilled the three hundred prophecies of the Old Tesatment. They will simply say people filled in the blanks. However, they can't explain why such prophecy blanks existed in the first place.

2. When they see the Jewish people returning to the land of Israel and Jerusalem. They will say this is a self fulfilled prophecy. Yet ignore the fact that Israel came into existance because the Jews had no were else to go during World War II. Nations around the world did not want them, and Hitler only wanted to kill them. And they call this a self fulfilled prophecy?

3. When David Wilkerson told us in 1974 that peace was coming to the United States, Russia, China, and Eastern Europe. And that happened. They often say. Well this was just a (COINCIDENCE).

4. When David Wilkerson told us in 1985 that we would see a holocaust of oil wells in the Middle East ablaze. And then five years later we saw 700 oilfields ablaze. Then again they say. This was just another(COINCIDENCE).

5. When Wilkerson died on April 27, 2011 after a lifetime of warning the world that God would start useing natural disasters to judge the world. And then Wilkerson is killed during the 24 hour period of time when America experiences it's worst tornado outbreak in it's history. And that tornado outbreak starts in the very state where Wilkerson was killed. Again they will say. This was just another (COINCIDENCE).

6. When Sir Issac Newton told us that before the year 2060 we would see Israel reborn as a nation once again. And many nations around the world would be angery because of this return. Once again they tell us. This was just another (COINCIDENCE).

Other such examples could be given. Yet all we would hear from the other side is, coincidence, coincidence, coincidence, coincidence. The fact is, the coincidence crowd has no interest in the truth. And maybe that is why we read in 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12. God adresses those who ignore the truth. "And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
Do you believe everything you read and see? I'm not trying to be a jerk but seriously man, you're grasping at straws here. I mean people will perform all sorts of mental gymnastics to connect dots that are completely unrelated.

Seriously, one time watching a Braves game I predicted Brian McCann would hit a homerun as he walked up to the plate, and he did. Now I'm a prophet. Another time I was walking down the street thinking about Hinduism, I was so deep in thought I walked out into the street and didn't notice the oncoming semi. Well the semi made a miraculous stop. Now I know that the Hindu gods are looking after me.

I mean come on, things happen randomly and our brain wants so bad for there to be a connection that it will defy all logic and reason to make dots connect.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:52 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,100 times
Quote:
Do you believe everything you read and see? I'm not trying to be a jerk but seriously man, you're grasping at straws here. I mean people will perform all sorts of mental gymnastics to connect dots that are completely unrelated.

Seriously, one time watching a Braves game I predicted Brian McCann would hit a homerun as he walked up to the plate, and he did. Now I'm a prophet. Another time I was walking down the street thinking about Hinduism, I was so deep in thought I walked out into the street and didn't notice the oncoming semi. Well the semi made a miraculous stop. Now I know that the Hindu gods are looking after me.

I mean come on, things happen randomly and our brain wants so bad for there to be a connection that it will defy all logic and reason to make dots connect.

The things I spoke of were written down long before the events described. And these described events were far more detailed then you watching a Braves game. And I do not ignore such facts, pretending they do not exist. Things do happen randomly. However when someone tells you ahead of time such things will happen, and they tell you where, when, and how. It's time for a thinking man to consider, and not dismiss that reality. Our brain should make a connection, especially if the detailed event is true. When Wilkerson told us that we would see a holocaust of oil fields a blaze in the Middle East, and five years later we see over 700 oil fires burning in the Middle East. It does not take a rocket scientist to connect the dots. When Issac Newton leaves us a detailed written account, and then tells us that before the year 2060 we would see Jewish people returning to the land of Israel and Jerusalem. And their return would anger many nations. And we see this. It does not require someone to defy all logic and reason to believe this. It does take an honest man to say, that Sir Issac Newton spoke the truth. It requires no mental gymnastics to acknowledge the truth. However it does require such gymnastics to ignore written accounts that clearly tells us such things would be.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:42 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Well if you're going to run around ridiculing nonbelievers for not subscribing to your beliefs it'd be best to have some proof. Accepting things on admittedly no evidence shows a lack of critical thinking skills.
I am not ridiculing nonbelievers. But they do think they know everything and they don't. Some go as far as saying "God does not exist," or "there is no afterlife" yet they don't say how they "know" that.

I don't need "proof." Faith is all I need (myself and many other people).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality