Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 10:24 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
If you spoke to people a few years ago about dark matter, dark energy, or more than nine planets in our solar system they would have said you were suffering from delusions. Actually, the size of the observable universe in comparison to the unobservable portion has been compared with an atom in relation to our visible universe. In short, there is more that we don't detect than what we do detect. That being the case, it comes across as rather presumptuous for short sited perceptually handicapped humans to be making broad over-generalizations about all existence. It's called the over-generalization fallacy based on unrepresentative sample. Look it up! Or if you already know it then apply it to your illogical defective conclusions.

BTW
There are hundreds of scientists who were respected and whose beliefs and pompous declarations have proven to be pure drivel. So respect is no guarantee of truth. Especially if those giving the respect have a tendency to be gullible.
This is true, and in all fairness, plenty of science-minded folks are FAR too secure in their beliefs and assumptions (much like most ultra-religious peple I know ).

I caution anyone to not get their hopes up about finding god in there, however. The honest, intellectual truth is that we DON'T know what we'll find...

...but at least forward thinking scientists are actually looking and seeking to understand the unknown. Bible thumpers recycle words in an old book written by people with a MUCH smaller perspective than we currently possess, and I am a seeker of knowedge so I'm gonna go listen to what the scientists say instead of the pastors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 10:31 AM

165 posts, read 138,900 times
Quote:
BIblically? Because now our sins are not counted against us if we avail ourselves of God's mercy based on that sacrifice.

John 1:29
The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Hebrews 2:9
But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, for the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, that He, by the grace of God, might taste death for everyone.
I was hoping for some tangible answer, not some received wisdom in a fictional book.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:33 AM

165 posts, read 138,900 times
Quote:
If you spoke to people a few years ago about dark matter, dark energy, or more than nine planets in our solar system they would have said you were suffering from delusions.
Exactly. And if you told the bible's authors about running water, they would've feared satan was behind it.

So why do you quote the bible in 2011?

Old 05-17-2011, 10:36 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
British scientist Stephen Hawking has branded heaven a "fairy story" for people afraid of the dark, in his latest dismissal of the concepts underpinning the world's religions.

Stephen Hawking dismisses idea of a universal creator, calls heaven a ‘fairy story’ | The Raw Story

Religion has made many shysters very rich. Affinity scams are a big and profitable business.
I'll buy that. As a matter of fact it's almost exactly the way I feel.

Recently the NBC Poker After Dark program which airs(here locally) in the middle of the night had invited six poker players, all with IQ's which qualified at genius or better, to play for a week. During one of the hands about Wednesday or Thursday of the week long program one of the players mentioned the "poker gods." Another ask how many at the table believed in a supreme being. Guess what sport's fans...not the first one believed that trash.

Some others you might recognize who believe it's a fairy tale:

John Lennon, Sigmund Freud, A.J. Ayer, John Dewey, Emma Goldman, David Hume, Thomas Henry Huxley, Thomas Paine, Ayn Rand, Carl Sagan, Margaret Sanger, Jean-Paul Sartre, Clarence Darrow, Madelyn Murray-O-Hair, Isaac Asimov, Ron Reagan, George Bernard Shaw, H.G. Wells, Woody Allen, George Carlin, Katherine Hepburn, George Meyer, Gene Roddenberry, Robert Smith, Douglas Adams, Richard Dawkins, Paul McCartney and Christopher Hitchens. Napoleon Bonaparte, although mentioning religion for political reasons, was also an atheist.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:14 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Thanks to the kind-hearted anonymous repper:
"Convert and Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand! You have been warned!"
In a few minutes I'll be going out to buy a bottle of French red wine, then come home and enjoy it. I'll even toast you!

Old 05-17-2011, 11:14 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
I have mentioned this before, but no one answers.......why do people want eternal life? what's so terrible about death that they can't accept it?

When I think about it......if there's nothing after death......how would you know? So, what difference would it make if you were not aware of it?

Old 05-17-2011, 11:58 AM

705 posts, read 1,110,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
I'll buy that. As a matter of fact it's almost exactly the way I feel.

Recently the NBC Poker After Dark program which airs(here locally) in the middle of the night had invited six poker players, all with IQ's which qualified at genius or better, to play for a week. During one of the hands about Wednesday or Thursday of the week long program one of the players mentioned the "poker gods." Another ask how many at the table believed in a supreme being. Guess what sport's fans...not the first one believed that trash.

Some others you might recognize who believe it's a fairy tale:

John Lennon, Sigmund Freud, A.J. Ayer, John Dewey, Emma Goldman, David Hume, Thomas Henry Huxley, Thomas Paine, Ayn Rand, Carl Sagan, Margaret Sanger, Jean-Paul Sartre, Clarence Darrow, Madelyn Murray-O-Hair, Isaac Asimov, Ron Reagan, George Bernard Shaw, H.G. Wells, Woody Allen, George Carlin, Katherine Hepburn, George Meyer, Gene Roddenberry, Robert Smith, Douglas Adams, Richard Dawkins, Paul McCartney and Christopher Hitchens. Napoleon Bonaparte, although mentioning religion for political reasons, was also an atheist.
Also; Forrest Ackerman and Stephen Roberts.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:09 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Actually, believers have so much to offer as proof of God's existence that God tells us you unbelievers really have no excuse.

NASB

Romans 1:20
For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.
That's it throw a few more verses from the old goat herders book at us...That'll show us.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:17 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Actually I earned a degree in Anthropology that involved heavy study of several different religions. I have read the entire Bible (both in English and Spanish, as well as many various religious texts from many different religions) and don't see the grave warnings you seem to see.

Instead I see manipulation by religious leaders who were/are concerned with keeping their sheep in the fold.

It is essentially the same as me telling my children not to stray too far from me in a public place or "bad guys" will get them...

...The difference is that religious institutions want to keep you as one of "god's children" permanently for their own use, instead of letting you grow up.
And one day your gonna wake up as usual, thinking it's a regular day, and see that your whole world is turned upside down when you see that Jesus did return and you were left behind. I promise it. God tells us the ENTIRE earth was just like this before he flooded it. He said that's EXACTLY how it's going to be when he returns. So think about how your saying religion is dying when that's all apart of biblical prophecy for Jesus's return. He said many would leave the faith in the last days. Ignore it at your own peril.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:17 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Wow!! So if the whole world is going to Hell your going to go with them?!! Wow.

And yes, 2/3 of the world is going to be left behind at the rapture if that's what you mean! There not damned to Hell YET. They have to die for that to happen. And most of the world is going to be left. God has a great things in store for those who accept his son as their savior. It really isn't that hard. But if you want the world, go ahead. You'll have the world and everything that comes with it. Including judgement. Enjoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The only primitive one around here is you. Once you hit that deathbed, all your big talk against God comes to a screeching halt when your thrown down and confined to a bedspread, about to take your last breathes of life. Every person on Earth will face their spritual realities whether they like it or not. That's how God always wins. And you will lose. This man is ALREADY condemned because of his rejection of the almighty God who created the heavens and the Earth. That moron is just going tooting his horn as long as he can. He doesn't have but a few months to live. If he doesn't repent, he's going to be dragged to Hell by demons just like every other famous atheist that denied the God of the Bible and rejected Christ as their savior. He is no one special. His title on Earth means absolutely nothing. Especially to God.

You are a blasphemer and you will get your day of reckoning as well. You may not be old and crippled like ol' Hawkings but one day death is going to come for your behind too. You just think because you have a computer and an opinion and your alive and healthy that you can talk mess? Please.

Please keep thinking to your deluded self that your invincible. Enjoy your temporary little life. Because it's all your going to have.

I think you are the worst type of person. You use your personal beliefs to judge and condemn others. I have nothing but loathing and contempt for you as a person. And if there is a god I think you are the type of person that would be frowned upon and judged harshly.

Last edited by mikebnllnb; 05-17-2011 at 01:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality