Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 10:17 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendBeav View Post
You don't need to go through 7 decades. I'm 32 and have had 3 heart surgeries (1 open-heart valve replacement, 2 catheterization procedures that failed to correct an arrhythmia caused by the open-heart surgery), a craniotomy to remove a brain tumor, and was diagnosed with arthritis at 14. My symptom list beats most codgers'. I had to give up basketball when I was 15, and I was pretty damned good. Physical suffering is way worse when you're young, because none of your peers understand it, and sometimes they ridicule you for it.

When you're 77 and about to expire, at least all your buddies and you can coalesce and discuss your various ailments. I have to ignore arthritis, shortness of breath, and side-effects from seizure medication while I chase my 4-year-old son around.

Try that on.
I have to concede your pains are greater than mine. i was 23 when I spent the year in a body cast, while it was a rough year, I was able to see an end in sight, which did ease the pain considerably.

If it is ok with you I would like to keep you in my prayers and ask you to pray for me that I can be more in touch with the pains of my fellow travelers on this earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 10:27 AM

165 posts, read 138,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I have to concede your pains are greater than mine. i was 23 when I spent the year in a body cast, while it was a rough year, I was able to see an end in sight, which did ease the pain considerably.

If it is ok with you I would like to keep you in my prayers and ask you to pray for me that I can be more in touch with the pains of my fellow travelers on this earth.
Thanks, you're welcome to pray for whomever you want. That said, I don't believe in God, so instead you'll get my well-wishes for your health, emotional and physical.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks, you're welcome to pray for whomever you want. That said, I don't believe in God, so instead you'll get my well-wishes for your health, emotional and physical.
Thank You, you will be in my thoughts and desires that life becomes easier for and that you have the wisdom to find happiness if you have not already done so.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Thank You, you will be in my thoughts and desires that life becomes easier for and that you have the wisdom to find happiness if you have not already done so.
I'm giving it my best shot. Despite my ailments, in some ways I'm lucky because I'm still young, and I'm in great physical shape and able to do low-impact exercises. This prepares me for the down-times when I'm laid up, so I can bounce back better.

Health- and life-insurance companies got no love for me, however. That's frustrating. I want security for my wife and kids if I kick the bucket, but the multi-national corporations prefer their bottom line even though I prove that I'm in tremendous physical shape, lift weights, ride mountain bikes, hike, etc. Oh well.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I'm giving it my best shot. Despite my ailments, in some ways I'm lucky because I'm still young, and I'm in great physical shape and able to do low-impact exercises. This prepares me for the down-times when I'm laid up, so I can bounce back better.

Health- and life-insurance companies got no love for me, however. That's frustrating. I want security for my wife and kids if I kick the bucket, but the multi-national corporations prefer their bottom line even though I prove that I'm in tremendous physical shape, lift weights, ride mountain bikes, hike, etc. Oh well.
well at least we have a common gripe. LOL the corporate powers that be, indeed do control our financial futures.

It is my desire to live to be 100 then drop dead penniless, without family, on the steps of the world's largest insurance corporation and let them get stuck with the bill to remove my body from their entrance.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
well at least we have a common gripe. LOL the corporate powers that be, indeed do control our financial futures.

It is my desire to live to be 100 then drop dead penniless, without family, on the steps of the world's largest insurance corporation and let them get stuck with the bill to remove my body from their entrance.
I rarely "LOL" as the kids say, but ths made me "LOL". Bravo. Hope your dream comes true.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:43 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Are we twins by any chance. Maybe it is just that us old codgers who have passed 7 decades have by default lived through numerous physical pains. Oddly after my first plane crash and a year in a body cast, I discovered I can live with physical pain. I have found that emotional torment to be far more painful than any physical pain I ever experienced. My little visit to an obscure south east Asian country left me with a life of PTSD. My body left Viet Nam decades ago,My mind stayed there. I still wake up in horror each night. It is not the fear of dieing that comes back, it is always the faces of the lives I took that haunt me.

I feel that the greatest pains we experience are much more intense than the greatest pleasures we experience.

But over the years I learned that pleasure and happiness are not the same. I have not experienced pleasure for many years,however I am and continue to be a very happy man.
If you believe the scientific view emotional pain basically IS physical pain, as the chemical reactions in the brain and the way the body responds is still physical.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
If you believe the scientific view emotional pain basically IS physical pain, as the chemical reactions in the brain and the way the body responds is still physical.
My last actual career was in the field of physiological psychology. You are correct.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:01 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
My last actual career was in the field of physiological psychology. You are correct.
Mind and body are scarily interrelated. Even more so with the 'lower forms'. If you've even kept fish, you know that stressing them out easily lowers their immune system and it's common for fish to 'die of stress.' Thankfully it's a bit harder for us, but it certainly does weaken us/leave us more vulnerable to things.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:28 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,366,046 times
Quote:
Are we twins by any chance. Maybe it is just that us old codgers who have passed 7 decades have by default lived through numerous physical pains. Oddly after my first plane crash and a year in a body cast, I discovered I can live with physical pain. I have found that emotional torment to be far more painful than any physical pain I ever experienced. My little visit to an obscure south east Asian country left me with a life of PTSD. My body left Viet Nam decades ago,My mind stayed there. I still wake up in horror each night. It is not the fear of dieing that comes back, it is always the faces of the lives I took that haunt me.

I feel that the greatest pains we experience are much more intense than the greatest pleasures we experience.

But over the years I learned that pleasure and happiness are not the same. I have not experienced pleasure for many years,however I am and continue to be a very happy man.
Quote:
You don't need to go through 7 decades. I'm 32 and have had 3 heart surgeries (1 open-heart valve replacement, 2 catheterization procedures that failed to correct an arrhythmia caused by the open-heart surgery), a craniotomy to remove a brain tumor, and was diagnosed with arthritis at 14. My symptom list beats most codgers'. I had to give up basketball when I was 15, and I was pretty damned good. Physical suffering is way worse when you're young, because none of your peers understand it, and sometimes they ridicule you for it.

When you're 77 and about to expire, at least all your buddies and you can coalesce and discuss your various ailments. I have to ignore arthritis, shortness of breath, and side-effects from seizure medication while I chase my 4-year-old son around.

Try that on.
My heart goes out to both of you for what you have suffered and still suffer.

Many blessings,
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality