Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 12:28 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,756,157 times

Advertisements

Two questions here, as the title implies.

I've always thought the worst pain you can feel is way worse than the best pleasure in Life, although now I'm not totally sure. I mean physical and emotional pain is terrible (while emotional pain is bad, I still don't think it equates to terrible physical pain. I'd take 10 years of grief over being hung drawn and quartered!), but feeling really positive also helps you cope with that.

It's tempting to think Life is more Bad than Good: most people in this world do go through at least some suffering, even in wealthy nations, and even if Life is good it can be boring and unsatisfying. Even when things are good, a part of me thinks that surely there must be something better.

Also, do you feel satisfied with Life as you know it? Not YOUR life, but life in general for most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 10:11 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,187,245 times
I think the comparison you gave for physical pain(drawn and quartered) to emotional pain is a bit skewed...You're comparring mental pain to death. I personally would rather take some physical pain over deep emotional pain any day.As for life in general....unless circumstances prevent it...it's really what you make of it.I believe life in general could stand to be hugely improved for a vast amount of people...and just dealing with THAT fact causes me emotional pain.The best pleasures in life absolutely trump the worst pain...for extreme pleasure leaves NO room for anything else but.....and I do enjoy that.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:25 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,573,340 times
I tend to agree with the basic thought of the OP. The unbearable intensity of being subjected to torture, suffering from certain forms of disease, or something of that nature is on a completely different scale than the most pleasureable experience that an individual could have. I think it's just the obvious fact that our senses will only stop our brain from suffering unimaginable pain if we pass out or die from it.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:15 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,187,245 times
But don't you think that if you are experiencing an intensely pleasurable moment/moments ,the pleasure will actually block the pain, or at least make you forget about it?

Old 05-17-2011, 05:45 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,881,023 times
I think it would make sense if it is true that the worst pain is stronger than the greatest pleasure. Pain teaches us to avoid or get out of situations that could seriously injure us or kill us, obviously hampering our survival and ability to reproduce. Pleasure on the other hand, at least in our evolutionary past, simply encourages us to do things that are good for our well-being or will likely result in passing on our genes to the next generation, and helping our loved ones survive. Both are important, but it only takes a little pleasure to get us to engage in an activity, and it is far more important for our survival and reproduction that we avoid situations that could injure or kill us, than doing things that simply promote our well-being. So, we might expect the greatest pain to be more intense than the greatest pleasure.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:55 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,098,242 times
We can look at it from a slightly different angle.

Can you imagine anything more wonderful than immediate relief from constant, terrible pain?

Old 05-18-2011, 05:51 AM

4,323 posts, read 5,998,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

I've always thought the worst pain you can feel is way worse than the best pleasure in Life, although now I'm not totally sure. I mean physical and emotional pain is terrible (while emotional pain is bad, I still don't think it equates to terrible physical pain. I'd take 10 years of grief over being hung drawn and quartered!), but feeling really positive also helps you cope with that.

It's tempting to think Life is more Bad than Good: most people in this world do go through at least some suffering, even in wealthy nations, and even if Life is good it can be boring and unsatisfying. Even when things are good, a part of me thinks that surely there must be something better.

Also, do you feel satisfied with Life as you know it? Not YOUR life, but life in general for most people.
We suffer the most when we do not love because love is who we are.

The best pleasure is better than the worst pain. I've been through emotional and physical pain and it has no comparison to the Divine Love that has entered my soul. The Love covers everything and can make even the worst pain unnoticable.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:45 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,549,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

Why not my life?

I'm almost seventy seven years old and though I believe this story varies from individual to individual the answer is no. There's nothing better than the pleasures of youth and after this long I can't imagine anything which might change my mind. I've had a good life and if a truck runs me over...so be it.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:26 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,038,809 times
The comparison is useless without considering duration.
Over a long period of time it's pretty hard to find pleasure of any but the briefest kind if the pain is severe,constant and unremitting
That includes emotional pain.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:36 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,549,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The comparison is useless without considering duration.
Over a long period of time it's pretty hard to find pleasure of any but the briefest kind if the pain is severe,constant and unremitting
That includes emotional pain.
I had some tough times during the early years but the satisfaction from my family, my work and the company of more than 300 young women definitely covered any possible suffering which might show up later. With modern pain medication how bad can it get?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality