Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2007, 04:56 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,729,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
OF course I'm not saying ALL are this way
Hmm ... that's not what you said a few posts ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
All I have come in contact with are condescending
Emphasis added.

I can respect differing opinions. I can't respect sweeping generalities based on spurious foundations. You said you are married to a former LDS member. Did you ever stop to think that perhaps you might take an overly negative view and interpretation of anything LDS due to whatever experiences are in his past? Is the rift entirely one-sided? No the LDS aren't perfect, but not "ALL" are as bad as you make them out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 04:59 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throx View Post
The only people who bring up the LDS subject has been non-LDS people. No missionary's yet but I'm sure they'll show at some point. I have been approached by missionarys in Texas, they were pretty cool.
If the mormon people ( neighbors) have not brought it up how do you know they are mormon?

Old 09-04-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Hmm ... that's not what you said a few posts ago.

Emphasis added.

I can respect differing opinions. I can't respect sweeping generalities based on spurious foundations. You said you are married to a former LDS member. Did you ever stop to think that perhaps you might take an overly negative view and interpretation of anything LDS due to whatever experiences are in his past? Is the rift entirely one-sided? No the LDS aren't perfect, but not "ALL" are as bad as you make them out to be.
No because When I moved here my son was in the 2nd grade and the neighbor boys were great to him until they found out we were not in church on Sun becauae we were not mormon. They then began to beat him up when they would see him. This same incident happened to a Luthern boy that lived in the same neighborhood. This is one of many.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:04 PM

122 posts, read 385,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
I always love it when someone who is not a member of a faith tries to speak for that faith. Mormons have only one name for Hell. It's "Hell." Next, Mormons do not believe Hell is permanent nor do they believe Hell is a lake of fire and brimstone where flesh is eternally burned but not consumed to create unspeakable agony. This unloving and cruel concept of Hell is strictly non-Mormon. Even those who may end up in Hell for a time are later assigned to Kingdoms of Glory.

The other Kingdoms to which you refer are lesser Kingdoms, but are Kingdoms of Glory nonetheless.

I have to say that the above, is a much kinder version of the afterlife, than most Christians give non-Christians.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
If the mormon people ( neighbors) have not brought it up how do you know they are mormon?
Umm ...he said nothing about whether his neighbors stated their religion. Only that some non-LDS people keep bringing up the issue.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:06 PM

My experiences and that of my children have nothing to do with the thoughts of my husband. It is from actions that I draw my conclusions from.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
No because When I moved here my son was in the 2nd grade and the neighbor boys were great to him until they found out we were not in church on Sun becauae we were not mormon. They then began to beat him up when they would see him. This same incident happened to a Luthern boy that lived in the same neighborhood. This is one of many.
I'm sorry that some second grade kids were not nice to your second-grade kid.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Umm ...he said nothing about whether his neighbors stated their religion. Only that some non-LDS people keep bringing up the issue.
Well I guess I confused the fact that he lived in a very mormon town and assumed that would include neighbors as well.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry that some second grade kids were not nice to your second-grade kid.
To go further into the story.......
My son told the kids that he was telling and they told him go ahead because our parents do not care because you are not mormon.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:13 PM

122 posts, read 385,151 times
Quote:
Good question. They have a certain positive vibe about them thats hard to describe. I've also had Lds neighbors help me move in, and even give me furniture that I lacked, so I got a chance to talk with them. It's not hard to figure out. They don't cuss (except "oh my heck"), drink, smoke, or lay around being idle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality