Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 08:48 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Well, I am aware that some Christians see the Bible as a "flawed" book. I didn't realize, however, that you were one of them since you seemed always to base your arguments on scriptural evidence.
Well, this is where using our brains come in. If something doesn't line up with what I feel THE WHOLE OF SCRIPTURE says, then deeper study is needed. But it's no secret kaykay that I think the Bible is flawed...we have discussed this numerous times!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

204 posts, read 507,929 times
Quote:
all of the animals on the ship were downloaded and then dispersed throughout the rest of the world. This still doesn't solve the problem of koalas making it to present day Australia. Because even if you had a pangea type world in which everything was landlocked it would still take months for koalas to reach Australia and they would still need food and they only eat eucalyptus leaves. Not only that, but you'd think if all the animals were dumped off in one central location than you would have a much higher diversity of species in the Middle Eastern area than what is currently known. Anybody got any ideas?
When the animals got off the ark, couldn't God simply have placed the animals in the world where he wanted them? I mean we are talking about GOD here right! all powerful!

Last edited by Hoosier; 08-03-2007 at 05:12 PM..

3,434 posts, read 9,742,668 times
heres the problem for me with saying the bible is flawed...
2 Peter 1:20-21
20 First of all, you should know this: no prophecy of Scripture comes from one's own interpretation, 21 because no prophecy ever came by the will of man; (A) instead, moved by the Holy Spirit, men spoke from God.

2 Timothy 3:16

16Everything in the Scriptures is God's Word. All of it is useful for teaching and helping people and for correcting them and showing them how to live.

now if its a flawed book..which I dont believe it is, why would we base our life on it...would we teach say, science out of a known book that was flawed? or american history book that quoted dates wrong? just my 1.5 cents...

Old 08-03-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospelsaves View Post
[i]all of the animals on the ship were downloaded and then dispersed throughout the rest of the world. This still doesn't solve the problem of koalas making it to present day Australia. Because even if you had a pangea type world in which everything was landlocked it would still take months for koalas to reach Australia and they would still need food and they only eat eucalyptus leaves. Not only that, but you'd think if all the animals were dumped off in one central location than you would have a much higher diversity of species in the Middle Eastern area than what is currently known. Anybody got any ideas?[

When the animals got off the ark, couldn't God simply have placed the animals in the world where he wanted them? I mean we are talking about GOD here right! all powerful!
good answer! def God could do whater he wanted!!

Old 08-03-2007, 08:50 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,264,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Do you guys READ anything that I type? Even CHRISTIAN GEOLOGISTS AND ARCHEOLOGISTS agree that the arguments to support a world-wide flood are not sound!

I don't see things in black and white like you and many others do. If you want to stick your head in the sand (with your fingers in your ears yelling LA LA LA, deep within a cave on Mars) then you can, but I'm not going to ignore factual information in the name of faith. IMO, you might as well replace the word faith with ignorance if that is the case.

What seperates me from you all is that I see the Bible for what it really is--a flawed Book that was divinely inspired by God, and written by humans. FALLIBLE, IMPERFECT, OPINIONATED HUMANS. So if something doesn't line up, instead of throwing the whole Book out the window , I seek to understand the origins behind what has been written.
I know that some Christians do see the Bible as "flawed" but I didn't think you were of that group. As least as much as you seem to be saying on several threads this morning... Let me put it this way, it's one thing to think that there can be small errors in reporting in the Bible and quite another IMO to think that we can just throw out whole chunks of the Bible because we don't believe that they are realistic.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:53 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,264,498 times
Quote:
Well, this is where using our brains come in. If something doesn't line up with what I feel THE WHOLE OF SCRIPTURE says, then deeper study is needed. But it's no secret kaykay that I think the Bible is flawed...we have discussed this numerous times!
I thought you believed that the translations were flawed. I guess I never picked up on the fact that you thought the Bible itself was a flawed book written by man.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
heres the problem for me with saying the bible is flawed...
2 Peter 1:20-21
20 First of all, you should know this: no prophecy of Scripture comes from one's own interpretation, 21 because no prophecy ever came by the will of man; (A) instead, moved by the Holy Spirit, men spoke from God.

2 Timothy 3:16

16Everything in the Scriptures is God's Word. All of it is useful for teaching and helping people and for correcting them and showing them how to live.

now if its a flawed book..which I dont believe it is, why would we base our life on it...would we teach say, science out of a known book that was flawed? or american history book that quoted dates wrong? just my 1.5 cents...
Then why so many different translations? Why so many translational errors? Why the books of the Apocrypha, accepted by Catholics but not Protestants? Why numerous revisions of the KJV?

You can't compare the Bible to a history book or any other book for that matter. There is simply no comparison.

Regarding your quote from 2nd Peter--how do we know what is actually scripture? How do we know what was inspired from God, or what was simply written about God?

Old 08-03-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I thought you believed that the translations were flawed. I guess I never picked up on the fact that you thought the Bible itself was a flawed book written by man.
Doesn't the translations being flawed amount to the same thing?

Old 08-03-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Then why so many different translations? Why so many translational errors? Why the books of the Apocrypha, accepted by Catholics but not Protestants? Why numerous revisions of the KJV?

You can't compare the Bible to a history book or any other book for that matter. There is simply no comparison.

Regarding your quote from 2nd Peter--how do we know what is actually scripture? How do we know what was inspired from God, or what was simply written about God?
faith.......

Old 08-03-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
faith.......
No offense and no flaming but honestly...faith doesn't equal ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality