U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What is the greatest threat to Christianity?
Islam 7 7.87%
Judaism 1 1.12%
Hinduism 0 0%
Atheism 11 12.36%
Other 70 78.65%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 03:48 PM

3,290 posts, read 1,606,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I guess I have to join you as I am also seen as a threat to Christianity. Because I believe that Blind Faith is blind and we all should question what we believe. Faith must first have a foundation in proof, before one places any trust in what has no visible proof.

This statement kills all types of theism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 03:58 PM

10,840 posts, read 4,429,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
This statement kills all types of theism.
It may kill A theism. Although I don't see how.

Sorry for the bad pun. I could not resist.

But I do feel that some Christians feel threatened by the spread of Islam, is because we do stress verification of all things and to not take the word of any man, unless we have searched and believe it to be true.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:14 PM

234 posts, read 110,333 times
Science answers many questions as to what? and how? and where?. It doesn't answer, and never will, the WHY?
Science does not and cannot erase Christianity. Science is not a threat at all, in fact quite the opposite. No scientific finding in the last 2000 years has even come close to providing evidence of the non-existence of a Creator. Any models of the 'beginnings' are simply theories and will always remain so, simply because 'science', is not science without experiential evidence.
And as far as Christianity goes, faith comes first, sure, although ir is far from blind. One needs just to look around nature and one will see enough evidence to at least entertain the possibility of a Creator. Once that faith is born, a relationship develops with that Creator and the experiential 'proving' of that faith begins.

The greatest danger to Christianity does indeed come from within its own ranks. In the form of false doctrine and teachings, unbiblical man-made theories and creeds, false prophets and false Christs. Precisely those same things Jesus Himself warned His disciples against. It is a counterfeit Christianity that the Bible names the 'antichrist' and will be the soon to come scourge of both believer and non-believer alike.
Atheists on this forum would do well to find the closest Biblical form of Christianity there is, and support that, because that particular branch of the faith cherishes freedom to worship, and freedom not to worship, according to ones own conscience. The counterfeit form however does not. It will enforce worship to itself, and through state backed legislative civil authority will demand obedience to her own brand of false worship and faith practice, whether you are a believer now or not.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:02 AM

7,884 posts, read 4,759,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakelite View Post
Science answers many questions as to what? and how? and where?. It doesn't answer, and never will, the WHY?
Wrong!

Quote:
Science does not and cannot erase Christianity.
Science has no interest whatsoever in religion.

Quote:
No scientific finding in the last 2000 years has even come close to providing evidence of the non-existence of a Creator.
...but it has proven that stories about creator gods are nonsense. Oh, and which 'creator' are you referring to?

Quote:
One needs just to look around nature and one will see enough evidence to at least entertain the possibility of a Creator.
Which one?

Old 05-31-2011, 09:08 AM

10,438 posts, read 3,629,211 times
Quote:
Science does not and cannot erase Christianity.
It has no intention to.

Quote:
Science is not a threat at all, in fact quite the opposite. No scientific finding in the last 2000 years has even come close to providing evidence of the non-existence of a Creator.
1) You can't prove a negative. We can't disprove Vampires either. Does that mean they exist? And 2) Science does not deal with the supernatural (by definition it can't). Science has no intention of trying to disprove God.

Quote:
Any models of the 'beginnings' are simply theories and will always remain so, simply because 'science', is not science without experiential evidence.
Me thinks you don't understand "theory". Everything in science is a theory. A scientific theory is the best anything can get. Gravity, Germs, Atoms, Plate Tectonics, Kinetic Energy, Relativity, etc. etc. are all just "theories".

Old 05-31-2011, 04:46 PM

234 posts, read 110,333 times
So Rafius and Fiyero, if science has no interest in religion, (and I agree with that), then why is it that it has been proposed throughout this thread that science, knowledge, education, etc etc are the greatest threat to Christianity?
Rafius, how can there be more than one Creator? Unless of course you are suggesting a collaborative effort on the part of many gods and they took turns, or had specific areas of expertise? And I am not sure what you mean by "it has proved that stories of creator gods are nonsense". Does one need science to show that? Common sense would reveal the nonsensical nature of the fantastical stories of mythology and the many gods and goddesses who have been vying for the loyalty of men and women for centuries. Warring with one another, raping and abusing one another all in an attempt to capture as wide an audience as possible, all displaying the worst characteristics of human nature in order to do so. Clearly an invention of man, or if you like one who seeks to destroy man.
The one Creator God however is not man's invention, for He comes with a character unknown within the human paradigm. A love and power that transcends human capability, yet a love that is offered to anyone who has the faith to believe. A love that enables one to love even his enemies if that one is willing to surrender to the power of a changed life.
Jesus Christ revealed that love when He was on earth. He offers a new life to them who call for help. To them who recognise their need of a Saviour. To those who recognise that there is no peace without God. No forgiveness without Christ, no hope of eternity without the blood of the Lamb who takes away the sins of the world.

There is no threat to the individual Christian who remains loyal to His Saviour, who takes the time to read the scriptures every day and maintains his relationship with Jesus through prayer, surrender to His Spirit, obedience to His commandments, and loving service.
As many have pointed out, church attendance is in decline in most churches. However, that is not the case in all churches. My own denomination is steadily growing by 3% every year in the US, and by over one million worldwide every year. And has done so for the past 5 years or so. My daughter's own church celebrated the baptisms of 21 new members last week. Both young adults and older. The last baptism ceremony they had was last December. So in 5 months the church has increased by about 15%.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:02 PM

3,007 posts, read 1,627,982 times
I think Christianity is already dead, at least as a spiritual philosophy. THose Christians (numerous ones) with whom I have spoken with on the topic of Christian Spirituality are against it in all forms, opting instead fro the religious or gourp experience.
BUT As a religion, it needs to be allowed to die a peaceful death and people need to accept themselves as saviors of the world. No "Jesus" is ever going to return (he did not do all that much when he was here the last time anyway) And people need to quit looking for some external savior and start standing on their own two feet, working together to solve the worlds problems. By working together I mean without the barriers and walls of religion which divide and alienate believers from non-believers.

Bishop Spong authered a great book called Why Christianity must Change or Die. I vote for Die, as I said, but he brings about some great points. Mainly that Christianity, it's errant outdated concepts and ideals, is it's own worst enemy. It is recommended reading for anyone who has any interest in religions.

People want and some would say "Need" something to believe in. There is probably some truth behind that, seeing how TV shows and stories about conspiracy theories, aliens, the Bigfoot, Ghists etcetc Seem to proliferate after each ratings war. People need an escape from the mundane and hope from the Trials and tribulations of the human experience. Religion may be a panacea for that. BUT when a religion, like Christianity becomes part of the problem, instead of the solution, then it needs to go the way of Mirthism and voodoo. OR if it wantsto stay, then it needs to demonstrate something useful, and by useful, I don;t mean the rehashing of 2000 year old fairy tales about some guy coming back from the dead and some angry diety being appeased by it.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:19 PM

2,674 posts, read 3,944,311 times
Christians!

Old 06-01-2011, 12:36 AM

5,435 posts, read 3,703,262 times
Not everyone wants to live forever.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:40 AM

7,884 posts, read 4,759,373 times
Quote:
So Rafius and Fiyero, if science has no interest in religion, (and I agree with that), then why is it that it has been proposed throughout this thread that science, knowledge, education, etc etc are the greatest threat to Christianity?
Because the things that science, knowledge, education, etc discover destroy the myths of Christianity (and other religions). Science does not exist to disprove myths but scientific discovery does so ...inadvertently.

Quote:
Rafius, how can there be more than one Creator?
There can't. I'm asking you which of the thousands of creator gods that people have and do believe in, YOU are referring to.

Quote:
Does one need science to show that? Common sense would reveal the nonsensical nature of the fantastical stories of mythology and the many gods and goddesses who have been vying for the loyalty of men and women for centuries.
Quite! So what I'm asking you is, if you agree that there have been thousands of gods that people have believed in and have now all proven to be false, why should the the specific one you believe in be any different?

Quote:
The one Creator God however is not man's invention, for He comes with a character unknown within the human paradigm.
But WHICH creator god?

Quote:
Jesus Christ revealed that love when He was on earth. He offers a new life to them who call for help. To them who recognise their need of a Saviour. To those who recognise that there is no peace without God. No forgiveness without Christ, no hope of eternity without the blood of the Lamb who takes away the sins of the world.
Yes, that's exactly what the Sumerians said about their 'son of god', Bel..."the lamb is the substitute for humanity". See any similarity there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality