Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:25 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,196 times

Advertisements

Will the human species still exist 2000 years from now? It would take centuries to terraform Mars. Humans haven't even set foot on it yet. Already, nuclear wars could happen at any moment. With the ever- increasing population, and the effect of antibacterials steadily decreasing, and the ever greater knowledge of the genome leading to potentially nasty bacterial agents, biological warfare is another threat.

Would it matter whether humanity exists 2000 years from now? Our potential descendants won't care, should they never exist.

I would also like to point out how uplifting I think it is that humanity has not annhilated itself yet. That shows that most of the planet is likely reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 12:58 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
I think there will still be people in 2000 years, but they are more likely to look and live like this:

I just can't get past the observation that our civilization is completely unsustainable in the long run and has a very high probablity of failing.

If we go back 2000 years and compare us technologically to say, the Romans, we haven't gone all that far. They were about equal to our civilization in the early 1800s; only roughly 150-200 years behind us today. A lot can happen in 2000 years and there are no guarantees for improvement...just as often things slide the other way. But if nothing else, we are damn good survivors and at least some of us will likely survive any future apocalypse, so long as the earth remains habitable.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:52 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,881 times
Or maybe we'll be living like this..

Or we could look like this.

YouTube - ‪Rabbit Stick Friction Fire‬‏

I just love primitive technology.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:18 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
How would anyone possibly know or even predict what is in store for mankind.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:22 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
If we look at Christian, Muslim and Lakotah theology we are now in the final days of the earth. So the question to many of us who believe in God(swt) is a moot point.

From a technology view it seems that many nations now have the ability to destroy all life on earth. For the Atheists among us that may be of some concern.

As far as the earth ceasing to exist with out outside interference geologis say we still have about 5 billion years remaining.

For my personal view some days I think Humans ceased to exist a long time back. But every now and then I see some young people that make me still have hope for mankind. If the earth is not destroyed in the next 2000 years, I am optimistic that the human race will do just fine.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:57 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
From a technology view it seems that many nations now have the ability to destroy all life on earth. For the Atheists among us that may be of some concern.
So if one is not an Atheist, he need not be concerned?

Old 05-31-2011, 03:04 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
So if one is not an Atheist, he need not be concerned?
In the sense that we believe the last day can come at any moment. we do not know when it will be. it could be before the next 2000 years finish. So to many of us theists tomorrow is more important than 2000 years from now.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:05 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
How would anyone possibly know or even predict what is in store for mankind.
And how could anyone resist trying to do exactly that?

Old 05-31-2011, 04:02 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Here we go again! This post will attract all of the latent and blatant "end-times" thinkers there are out there, so let's just bring them on and get it over with, okay? Afterwards, those of us who are left may be able to project more positive and balanced ideas about the next 2000 years in human development.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:32 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
I just posted a thread about this so my apologies to the OP for not being more thorough and looking to see what was already written.
Maybe man will evolve a sense of paying attention in the next 2000 years

I suggested that only a vane Human would suggest or insist that God Created Man as the Apex of the creation. Clearly we live on an ever evolving planet and in an explanding and evolving universe. We are the highest evolved species (at least some of us are) NOW --TODAY but who knows in 100,000 years our bodies may have evolved into something more perfect and more useful, perhaps with a lower sex-drive, a larger adrenal gland and no appendix. We may well look different too as our larger brains will have a larger skull
We may be reclassified instead of Homo sapiens (Wise Man) to Homo portis (Superior Man)
While we are superior to the other species of our planet, in the future, we may not be, in fact as a rae, we may even be extinct. Sadly, We have and We can create Extinction of a species.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality