Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 11:39 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
We incarcerate people for life (80 years?) or send them to their deaths (80 seconds?) when they take less than 10 seconds to empty a magazine into others' bodies and call it justice. Is it really?
We don't however torture people for decades on end for failing to live up to a standard that they are incapable of living up to in the first place. Sorry, your "justice" is nothing of the sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 12:19 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,235,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
If people are on this earth to learn and grow in character and love, why is there a need for a hell fire as described in the bible? What purpose, other than fear, does it serve to torment someone in fire forever and ever? Why not just eradicate their existence and be through with it? Burning them forever and ever won't help them grow in character, so what's the use?

Is this hell fire doctrine really a justified form of justice? How can it be justified for a human being, no matter how much evil he/she's done on earth, how can it be justified that he will burn and burn forever eventhough he's only lived to the age of 90 or less?

THE NEED FOR HELL FIRE...IS TO PURIFY OR PURGE THAT WHICH IS UNCLEAN...UNSOUND...UNCOMPLIANT TO A SET OF STANDARDS or GIVEN INSTRUCTIONS ...WHICH IS DETRAMENTAL TO THE WHOLE...TO COMPLETELY AND UTTELRY REMOVE THAT WHICH IS DEFILING IN NATURE....AND HAS BEEN DEFILING HUMANS AND THEIR CHILDREN FOR CENTURIES!

You could say, that truth corrects and removes error....erases it, by knowing the truth...error cannot exist FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME!...and if it tries to exist with truth, or change truth to a lie...eventually the truth will comeforth....and purge that error....LIES COME FROM $ATAN...AND THOSE LIES WE ARE HEARING TODAY...AND THAT ENGRAVEN IMAGED IDOL THE WORLD IS USING..TO MAKE SINS AND EVILS ABOUND...SHOULD GO INTO THE FIRE...WHERE IT BELONGS!...AND ALL THOSE WHO POSSES IT...SHOULD SURELY FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO PLAY WITH...CAUSE IT AIN'T HELPING SOLVE ANYTHING...IT IS CREATING MORE WOE THAN IT IS WORTH..AND IT IS CREATING MORE PROBLEMS IN THE WORLD TO MAKE MORE SINS COME FORTH....MORE HUMANSACRIFICES ANYONE?

BREAKING THE LAWS OF GOD...CONTINUALLY, AND NOT TENDING TO THE GARDEN WELL...FROM WHERE I AM STANDING...IF THEY PROHIBITE PLANTS FROM BEING SOWN, AND ANIMALS FROM BEING TENDED TO...AND POLLUTING AND LUTING THE PLANET FOR BENT PROFITS AND GAINS IN DEAD THINGS...MADE MORE IMPORTANT THAN GOD?....UNDERMINING THE PLANET BY TAKING OUT THE METALS AND SUCH, THAT WERE PUT THERE FOR A REASON.....TRULY SHOWS HOW BENT SOME PEOPLE ARE TO GOD...AND THE GARDEN PRINCIPLE UNDER A IDOL..MADE NOT FREE...AND THINGS GOD SAID WERE GOOD AND GIVEN TO ALL...NOW MADE BAD BY OTHER OPINIONS?....SURELY SHOWS HOW BENT THIS IDOLIC DELUSION IS...WHEN WE LOOK AT THE ECO SYSTEMS, AND THE LIFE NOW BEING POLLUTED FOR IT....

SHAME?...NAH...THE END IS NEAR...I'D SAY...AND THAT COULD BE A GOOD THING...FOR HOW CAN $ATAN POSSES THE DEAD?..ON A DEAD WORLD...

EVEN HE KNOWS THAT IS GONA BE THE RESULTING FACTOR.

AND IF IT IS A DEAD WORLD $ATAN WANTS US TO MAKE FOR BENT PROFITS AND GAINS IN DEAD THINGS....THEN WHEN IT ALL DIES, AND THE OZONE IS DEPLETED...AND THE SUN BURNS THE LANDS, AND THE PLANTS, AND THE ANIMALS MADE UNCLEAN BECAUSE OF THAT IDOL SUBJECTING THEM TO IT...BY THEIR OWN STUPIDITY FOR IT....THEN I WOULD SAY IT IS THE BEST SOLUTION FOR THE PROBLEM....AND ALL THE LIFE GOD SAVED, AND CHRIST SAVED...AND THOSE WHO DID DO WHAT GOD ASKED...THEY WILL BE LIFTED TO A NEW WORLD AND NEW HEAVENS...AS IT SAYS...THOSE WHO COMPLY LISTEN AND DO FOR GOD..WILL LIVE!
BUT THOSE WHO DON'T...DO NOT DESERVE TO LIVE ON THE NEW WORLD...BECAUSE THEY WOULD ONLY DESTROY IT WITH THEIR BENT LUST AND EVIL AND SINS BROUGHT ON BY THEIR BENT LOVE OF THAT IDOL WHICH DESTROYS LIFE....AND THIS WORLD WILL BE MADE AN EXAMPLE...SO IT NEVER HAPPENS AGAIN!

STILL TIME TO CHANGE THE ROAD WE ARE ON???...PERHAPS?

Old 05-28-2011, 12:50 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
THE NEED FOR HELL FIRE...IS TO PURIFY OR PURGE THAT WHICH IS UNCLEAN...UNSOUND...UNCOMPLIANT TO A SET OF STANDARDS or GIVEN INSTRUCTIONS ...WHICH IS DETRAMENTAL TO THE WHOLE...TO COMPLETELY AND UTTELRY REMOVE THAT WHICH IS DEFILING IN NATURE....AND HAS BEEN DEFILING HUMANS AND THEIR CHILDREN FOR CENTURIES!

You could say, that truth corrects and removes error....erases it, by knowing the truth...error cannot exist FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME!...and if it tries to exist with truth, or change truth to a lie...eventually the truth will comeforth....and purge that error....LIES COME FROM $ATAN...AND THOSE LIES WE ARE HEARING TODAY...AND THAT ENGRAVEN IMAGED IDOL THE WORLD IS USING..TO MAKE SINS AND EVILS ABOUND...SHOULD GO INTO THE FIRE...WHERE IT BELONGS!...AND ALL THOSE WHO POSSES IT...SHOULD SURELY FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO PLAY WITH...CAUSE IT AIN'T HELPING SOLVE ANYTHING...IT IS CREATING MORE WOE THAN IT IS WORTH..AND IT IS CREATING MORE PROBLEMS IN THE WORLD TO MAKE MORE SINS COME FORTH....MORE HUMANSACRIFICES ANYONE?

BREAKING THE LAWS OF GOD...CONTINUALLY, AND NOT TENDING TO THE GARDEN WELL...FROM WHERE I AM STANDING...IF THEY PROHIBITE PLANTS FROM BEING SOWN, AND ANIMALS FROM BEING TENDED TO...AND POLLUTING AND LUTING THE PLANET FOR BENT PROFITS AND GAINS IN DEAD THINGS...MADE MORE IMPORTANT THAN GOD?....UNDERMINING THE PLANET BY TAKING OUT THE METALS AND SUCH, THAT WERE PUT THERE FOR A REASON.....TRULY SHOWS HOW BENT SOME PEOPLE ARE TO GOD...AND THE GARDEN PRINCIPLE UNDER A IDOL..MADE NOT FREE...AND THINGS GOD SAID WERE GOOD AND GIVEN TO ALL...NOW MADE BAD BY OTHER OPINIONS?....SURELY SHOWS HOW BENT THIS IDOLIC DELUSION IS...WHEN WE LOOK AT THE ECO SYSTEMS, AND THE LIFE NOW BEING POLLUTED FOR IT....

SHAME?...NAH...THE END IS NEAR...I'D SAY...AND THAT COULD BE A GOOD THING...FOR HOW CAN $ATAN POSSES THE DEAD?..ON A DEAD WORLD...

EVEN HE KNOWS THAT IS GONA BE THE RESULTING FACTOR.

AND IF IT IS A DEAD WORLD $ATAN WANTS US TO MAKE FOR BENT PROFITS AND GAINS IN DEAD THINGS....THEN WHEN IT ALL DIES, AND THE OZONE IS DEPLETED...AND THE SUN BURNS THE LANDS, AND THE PLANTS, AND THE ANIMALS MADE UNCLEAN BECAUSE OF THAT IDOL SUBJECTING THEM TO IT...BY THEIR OWN STUPIDITY FOR IT....THEN I WOULD SAY IT IS THE BEST SOLUTION FOR THE PROBLEM....AND ALL THE LIFE GOD SAVED, AND CHRIST SAVED...AND THOSE WHO DID DO WHAT GOD ASKED...THEY WILL BE LIFTED TO A NEW WORLD AND NEW HEAVENS...AS IT SAYS...THOSE WHO COMPLY LISTEN AND DO FOR GOD..WILL LIVE!
BUT THOSE WHO DON'T...DO NOT DESERVE TO LIVE ON THE NEW WORLD...BECAUSE THEY WOULD ONLY DESTROY IT WITH THEIR BENT LUST AND EVIL AND SINS BROUGHT ON BY THEIR BENT LOVE OF THAT IDOL WHICH DESTROYS LIFE....AND THIS WORLD WILL BE MADE AN EXAMPLE...SO IT NEVER HAPPENS AGAIN!

STILL TIME TO CHANGE THE ROAD WE ARE ON???...PERHAPS?
This is all laughable.....

The idea of hell is to keep all the sheeple on the straight and narrow, and afraid of what happens when they die.

Faith ought to give you comfort not fear...

Old 05-28-2011, 03:35 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,327,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
We don't however torture people for decades on end for failing to live up to a standard that they are incapable of living up to in the first place. Sorry, your "justice" is nothing of the sort.

I am not the one who wants justice. I want favor.

We certainly do torture people for decades on end for failing to live up to standards of which they ARE capable. Nowhere in the scriptures do I find that God tortures anyone in hell for any amount of time.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:50 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,875 times
I don't know--I do not believe God is going to "torture" people. At death, our soul goes somewhere. If people do not choose God, He obliges, and they live forever apart from Him. That's what they wanted. He doesn't want people to live apart from Him, but that's what they've chosen. Now, thinking about what that might be like, I would assume there's no light, comfort (that may include fire--don't know) or peace, joy, any happiness whatsoever, for eternity.

I don't really know what's going to happen, but I know what's going to happen to me.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:02 PM

14 posts, read 17,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
If people are on this earth to learn and grow in character and love, why is there a need for a hell fire as described in the bible? What purpose, other than fear, does it serve to torment someone in fire forever and ever? Why not just eradicate their existence and be through with it? Burning them forever and ever won't help them grow in character, so what's the use?

Is this hell fire doctrine really a justified form of justice? How can it be justified for a human being, no matter how much evil he/she's done on earth, how can it be justified that he will burn and burn forever eventhough he's only lived to the age of 90 or less?
This seems an incomplete picture of "hell" as it were. It would seem more likely, were I a deity, talking down to stupid humans who like to believe they can wrap their heads around anything, that I'd use analogies. So hellfire, it would strike me, is more than likely metaphorical.

As for why punishment at all and the extent thereof, that's moot given new testament theology isn't it? As for the why, if you've had kids you know. Sometimes they respond to reward, sometimes to punishment. As for the forever and ever part, many churches believe even those in hell will someday be redeemed if I'm not mistaken. Religion is interesting to me, though I only have a rudimentary academic understanding of it, but it really doesn't seem that out of balance with humanistic principles, especially if you view it as analogy instead of with a literalist viewpoint.

The fundamentalists enjoy literalism for reasons I can't understand, and the haters enjoy it just as much as only fundamental interpretations are really so objectionable as a rule to spark argument over.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:11 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Fear can be a powerful motivator for many people. It the case of religion, it can motivate membership.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:51 PM

11,248 posts, read 11,022,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
We are created with an immortal soul and like it or not we will exist for eternity. It is by our own choice we decide how we will spend eternity. No person will unjustly and without deserving it spend eternity in Hellfire.
But Woodrow, this is where the problem comes into play. The religion that you and I were raised in believes that Muslims are going to hell simply because of their faith. The religion that you converted to later in life states that Christians are going to hell simply for their faith. Do people of EITHER religion deserve that fate simply for their beliefs?

Old 05-28-2011, 06:06 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Fear can be a powerful motivator for many people. It the case of religion, it can motivate membership.

Why do you believe that? If the American people can need help from the E.U. for the re-building of Missouri counties, then is for instance that idea a religious fear of religious people in Europe?

Old 05-28-2011, 07:49 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,507 times
Quote:
I don't know--I do not believe God is going to "torture" people. At death, our soul goes somewhere. If people do not choose God, He obliges, and they live forever apart from Him. That's what they wanted. He doesn't want people to live apart from Him, but that's what they've chosen. Now, thinking about what that might be like, I would assume there's no light, comfort (that may include fire--don't know) or peace, joy, any happiness whatsoever, for eternity.
"That's what they wanted."

Yeah, I'm sure they wanted an eternity of conscious torment. Sorry, you can't get your deity off the hook here.

Quote:
I don't really know what's going to happen, but I know what's going to happen to me.
No, you do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality