Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 07:29 AM

118 posts, read 111,277 times

Advertisements

Taoistdude is very well spoken and comes to the table with an open mind. I'm not sure of his views, but whatever they are, my comment stands.

As for atheists, I typically find they are friendly and usually have a healthy dose of humor. Christopher Hitchens, for instance, is just a fun guy, and extremely witty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 04:32 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
A great many of the atheists on this board have seriously done their homework on religion. And since my beliefs do not necessarily coincide with that of the teacher at school where my kids go, I'm kinda glad that they are not allowed to try to proselytize my children into their faith during class. And atheists have been the real driving force making sure things stay that way.
Not only atheists. My father is Christian and when I was growing up and religion was taught once a week by a lady from the local church. My parents were instrumental in working with the ACLU to have it stopped. He was one of a group of Christians and Jews who were successful in having the teaching of religion stopped.

There are many people of faith who believe very strongly in no religion in schools and absolute separation of church and state.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:39 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
I think the jehovas Witnesses that come to visit are very polite, and kind people....one of the woman actually baked me a cake and brought it over during a particularily hard time for us....just blew me away....always been polite to us!!

Old 05-28-2011, 06:49 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,771 times
Atheists are as good as redeemed people by Eric Severeid.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:21 PM

912 posts, read 827,134 times
Many atheists are very interesting because they are usually very interested, in everything.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:25 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Honestly, I could say something nice or complimentary about probably anyone - even Hitler (he was a great public speaker). To me - it's hard for me to say something nice about a whole group of people - because every person is so different. The things that I like about people are things like a good sense of humor, intelligence, wit, sensitivity, understanding, kindness. I think these can be found in people of all beliefs and nonbeliefs.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:29 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,876 times
On Sunday around noon, I see Christians coming out of their churches. The women are often really hot.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:26 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
I admire Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons for being some of the first ones on the scene when it comes to helping with disaster relief.
I admire the teaching of forgiveness that lies at the heart of Catholicism.
I admire the teaching of love and kindness that lies of the heart of all religions and belief systems.
I admire Buddhism for its teaching that you don't necessarily have to hit back and also for its teaching of letting go of desires.
I admire Judaism and Jewish culture for its emphasis on hard work and education.
I admire the Baha'i faith for teaching the equality of the sexes and having a positive outlook on sex and sexuality.
I admire the Islamic clerics that are totally open to and accepting of transsexuality.
I admire many sects of each religion for understanding homosexuality is not chosen and accepting LGBTQ members into their congregations.
I admire places of worship in general for the sense of community and safety network they provide.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:35 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
I like atheists that dont make jokes about my God and try to disprove Him. Correction, i tolerate them.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:02 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Most of my family are Christians, and a nicer a bunch of people would be hard to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality