Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 10:00 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
The OP presents us with a simpleton's view of prayer in which God is like a vending machine, dispensing goodies for the minimal effort of inserting a token prayer. If I stayed at this 4-year-old understanding of religion I also would have given it up long ago.

Prayer doesn't "work" the way poetry doesn't "work" in a utilitarian way. Prayer is poetry of the soul. I can't live without poetry. No wonder in our society we've slashed funding for art and music in our schools, and the classics/humanities in universities. People don't value the things that don't produce utilitarian "results." To me that's what hell must look like, a place where everything is reduced to its material value.

Tell me how the Lord's Prayer or the Prayer of St. Francis is supposed to "work"? Prayer is simply a communication from the created to the creator, it need not be so goal-oriented as the OP makes it out to be.
So what exactly is excluded in the "And if you ask for anything in my Name I shall do it" (John 14:14)

Please back up with texts and proof you know better.

Your idea of a method of communication is merely a spin to explain away why prayer does not work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 11:10 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I am not Christian. I am Muslim our view of Allaah(swt) differs from that of how the Christians see him. We do not pray to a benevolent old man sitting on a cloud. We do not see Allaah(swt) as being comparable to humans. His attributes are beyond our under standing.

We see life as being a test and a learning. All people are subject to the laws of nature and physics. This is a physical world with physical limitations. Our prayers are to Praise Allaah(swt), We pray for forgiveness and mercy. We pray to Give thanks for our opportunity to have this test called life and to ask for comfort in times of sorrow. We also pray for the strength to face our trials and for guidance in following the right choices.
What would be your purpose in typing a statement so obnoxious?

I'm sorry, but you simply cannot be ignorant enough to really believe that Christians see God as a benevelent old man sitting on a cloud. Your last sentence, underlined, is exactly how Christians view God. Yes, I realize you might not always get that impression from reading some C-D posters who seem to have the inside scoop on what God thinks and is gonna do next, but stooping to the same level of idiocy is not the answer.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:40 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,072,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What would be your purpose in typing a statement so obnoxious?

I'm sorry, but you simply cannot be ignorant enough to really believe that Christians see God as a benevelent old man sitting on a cloud. Your last sentence, underlined, is exactly how Christians view God. Yes, I realize you might not always get that impression from reading some C-D posters who seem to have the inside scoop on what God thinks and is gonna do next, but stooping to the same level of idiocy is not the answer.
I agree. I let my feelings post and not my logic.

I was thinking only in terms of one or 2 members here and really do understand those 1 or 2 do not represent Christianity.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:41 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
The OP presents us with a simpleton's view of prayer in which God is like a vending machine, dispensing goodies for the minimal effort of inserting a token prayer.
But with a vending machine you usually get a drink or a candy bar in return. Prayers work like a slot machine set to never pay off.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:48 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieCT View Post
The OP wasn't addressing prayer as a method of "communication from the created to the creator". He was explaining why using "answered prayers" (i.e. prayers that are goal-oriented) as evidence of God is inescapably flawed and, therefore, unconvincing. In his post, he makes no commentary on the type of prayer you describe.
Exactly! I could not have said it better myself.

I was not talking about whatever serenity or peace or connectedness prayer gives you. I was saying as the title of the thread suggests that "answered prayers" will never be convincing evidence.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:52 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,072,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
But with a vending machine you usually get a drink or a candy bar in return. Prayers work like a slot machine set to never pay off.
I see prayers as being exactly like a Vending Machine. There is no random gambling for a pay off. Each and every prayer does deliver. Not only deliver, we get more than what we ask for. But we must remember, what we are buying from that vending machine, may not always be what we want. It will always be what we need.

[SIZE=5]I asked... Allah Ta'ala gave me...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I asked for Strength.....[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]And Allah Ta'ala gave me Difficulties to make me strong.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I asked for Wisdom....[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]And Allah Ta'ala gave me Problems to solve.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I asked for Prosperity....[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]And Allah Ta'ala gave me the Brain and Brawn to work.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I asked for Courage....[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]And Allah Ta'ala gave me Danger to overcome.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I asked for Love....[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]And Allah Ta'ala gave me Troubled people to help.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I asked for Favours....[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]And Allah Ta'ala gave me Opportunities.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I received nothing I wanted....[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]But I received everything I needed![/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]"FATABAARAKA ALLAAHO AHSANO-L-KHAALIQEEN"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]"So blessed be Allah, The Good, The Best to create" (Al Qur'an - 23:14)[/SIZE]

Old 06-03-2011, 03:11 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,015 times
People whose prayers have been answered should not waste time trying to convince non-believers. It's a fool's errand.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:58 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
People whose prayers have been answered should not waste time trying to convince non-believers. It's a fool's errand.
Or a fool on an errand

Old 06-04-2011, 10:35 AM

912 posts, read 827,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Exactly! I could not have said it better myself.

I was not talking about whatever serenity or peace or connectedness prayer gives you. I was saying as the title of the thread suggests that "answered prayers" will never be convincing evidence.
When we are told .."ask and thou will recieve" it is not meant to mean a new car, job, perfect health, healing , good looking babe...ect ect ect..
These represent the material, correct ?............woe

"Recieve" the grace for courage (fortitude) in virtue to live or endure life... as life.. is what it is.

You should really know what your talking about before you wind up with your illogical & uneducated non-sense.. BTW...God & "JESUS" know that courage is what really defines individuality to be progressive.....(oh better list...positive, hope, assistance regardless of danger... stability ...GUTS...

Good luck to those who do not realize courage-fortitude is an attribute and do nothing but whine about it !!!

Last edited by Blue Hue; 06-04-2011 at 11:11 AM..

Old 06-04-2011, 01:36 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hue View Post
You should really know what your talking about before you wind up with your illogical & uneducated non-sense.. BTW...God & "JESUS" know that courage is what really defines individuality to be progressive.....(oh better list...positive, hope, assistance regardless of danger... stability ...GUTS...

Good luck to those who do not realize courage-fortitude is an attribute and do nothing but whine about it !!!
Wow...You need to learn some manners. That is uncalled for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality