Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 06:10 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,892,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
As opposed to those who claim to know he doesn't? Because those are the ones I am referring to and not agnostics. That should be clear from the context of my post.
The majority of atheists, including myself do not claim to know god does not exist. We are smart enough to know that it is impossible to prove god does not exist, so the possibility remains, however small, that a god might exist. We simply do not believe there is a god.

Here are several definitions of atheism or atheist from online dictionaries:
- One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.
- Atheism is the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.
- a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.
- a person who does not believe in God or gods
- A person who does not believe in the existence of God or gods

So, please do not assume that all atheists claim to know that there is no god. The majority don't.

(I have to add this caveat, as there is one atheist poster who likes to emphasize that according to some of the definitions, one does not have to disbelieve there is a god, an atheist could be someone who simply lacks a belief in god. Although I prefer the term nontheist for that, as there are a number of definitions of atheism that require an active disbelief if not denial).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 07:47 AM

Just a tiny sidenote: One could not use a microscope in a blackhole as light cannot travel up to the microscope.

Oh, and Radrook, have you ever read a book by Michael Shermer published in 2006, "Why Darwin Matters: The Case Against Intelligent Design"? Shermer is a former young earth creationist and he writes in a way that is very kind and respectful to believers. Feel free to read whatever critique of this book you want, but please read the actual book as well.

Last edited by Hueffenhardt; 06-01-2011 at 08:01 AM..

Old 06-01-2011, 07:56 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaam View Post
hi everyone, especially atheists

I have Silly question, was your parents created your DNA ?
What was that about silly questions?

Old 06-01-2011, 08:08 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,720,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
How likely is it to have DNA form randomly from proteins in a soup of primordial ooze?
RESPONSE:

If you were to dissemble 100 pocket watches, place all the parts in a box and shake for 13 billion years, a few of these watches might assemble by random chance, couldn't they?

Your argument might more correctly be that the vast majority of these watches wouldn't have randomly assembled.

Chance might account for some "random" happenings. But if the trend is to make the random happenings the rule rather the exception, then we have to consider some reason for the rule.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

If you were to dissemble 100 pocket watches, place all the parts in a box and shake for 13 billion years, a few of these watches might assemble by random chance, couldn't they?
The creation of RNA and primitive DNA is even more likely than that. There are no forces that would pull a gear onto an axle once it got close (other than gravity and momentum), and a watch has an awful lot of moving parts to line up just right. I can understand the skepticism due to the extreme unlikelihood of all the parts of a watch falling right into place at the same time with none of them being shaken free before all are in place. Not to mention the likelihood of gears being broken in all that shaking. I am not saying it is impossible, just extremely unlikely.

I don't think using a chance construction of a watch is an example we should be using, especially since it is soooo much more unlikely than the real likelihood of RNA and simple, primitive DNA forming.

RNA and DNA have the advantage that there are organizing forces at work that pull atoms into a molecular structure once they get close and keep them together in a bond while other atoms find their place. Chance plays a role, but forces of attraction do too and there are billions and billions of interactions between atoms in a fluid and nothing but eons of time for these molecules to form. Given those circumstances, the unlikely becomes very likely. It is like buying every possible lottery ticket, your chances of winning approach inevitability.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:33 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,209,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaam View Post
hi everyone, especially atheists

I have Silly question, was your parents created your DNA ?

There is a nucleus in the human body called "DNA" , Contain all the information the human Such as internal organs and external to the person,Color hair and eyes,Length and width and so on ...

Store this information in DNA by Symbols ..

For example, if we Emptied the information present in DNA in Folders and each folder contains 500 pages then, we must Provide a large library (In size football stadium) contains about 900 folder ...

All of this repository of Information has widened them only a small part that is impossible to see with the naked eye

So,Creator this magnificent system Which is still ongoing in its creation Billions of years ago is ALLAH (GOD)

Creator of DNA is god ,it was not Coincidence
Gibberish, pure and simple. There is no such thing all allah (god) or any other god. All is a fictional creation of sick minds.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:54 PM

869 posts, read 971,776 times
Quote:
One could not use a microscope in a blackhole as light cannot travel up to the microscope.
Show me where I said that a microscope functions within a blackhole or where I even mentioned the two together in one sentence.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:00 PM

Here is my dictionary-based understanding of the difference between atheists and agnostics:

Quote:
The American Heritage Dictionary defines an "atheist" as "one who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods." An "agnostic" is "one who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God" or "one who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism."
What's the difference between an atheist and an agnostic?

Old 06-01-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Gibberish, pure and simple. There is no such thing all allah (god) or any other god. All is a fictional creation of sick minds.
If You STILL don't understand that your certainty requires omniscience and omnipresence then you are absolutely amazing my friend!

What kind of miniature-sized universe or reality do you imagine yourself to living in?

Old 06-01-2011, 02:38 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
If You STILL don't understand that your certainty requires omniscience and omnipresence then you are absolutely amazing my friend!

What kind of miniature-sized universe or reality do you imagine yourself to living in?
If you don't understand the difference between disbelieving that there is a god and claiming to KNOW there is no god, as has been pointed out to you numerous times then there must be some kind of obstruction in your thought process.

Atheist...One who disbelieves the existence of gods.

Theist...One who believes in the existence of gods.

Fractured thinker...One who claims to KNOW one way or the other something that cannot be known.

Do you get it now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality