U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 07:12 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,271,903 times

Advertisements

There doesn't seem to be any disadvantage in this life by being an atheist. There are happy and unhappy believers and non-believers. There are peaceful and non-peaceful believers and non-believers. There are compassionate and non-compassionate non-believers and believers. There are rich and poor non-believers and believers. There are successful and unsuccessful believers and unbelievers. There are emotionally stable and emotionally unstable believers and non-believers. They both get into car accidents. They both get cancer. They both get healed from cancer and/or die.

You can't really tell atheists and believers apart just by looking at their fortune/misfortune.

What do you believers think? Shouldn't there be a difference in this life between those who embrace and follow god and those who reject or deny him?

I think it delivers a solid blow to what has been called the prosperity gospel supported by Joel Osteen and others.

The teaching is based on interpretations of certain Biblical verses such as:
  • Malachi 3:10 - "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this,' says the LORD of hosts, 'if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows" (New American Standard Bible).
  • Deuteronomy 8:18 - "But you shall remember the Lord your God, for it is He who is giving you power to make wealth, that He may confirm His covenant which He swore to your fathers, as it is this day" (New American Standard Bible)
  • 3 John 2 - "Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 10:54 PM

10,452 posts, read 9,508,393 times
I totally agree. You don't need to believe in God to benefit from God's blessings, or what one might call being in the flow or tuned in or connected to the Universe in non-theistic terms.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:10 PM

6,874 posts, read 7,237,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
There doesn't seem to be any disadvantage in this life by being an atheist. There are happy and unhappy believers and non-believers.
."
Yep. Jesus said that God causes the rain and sun to be on the Just and unjust in this life. Enjoy it while you can. What matters is what happens after we die. Jesus said as much also.

I like Psalm 37. Give it a read.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Yep. Jesus said that God causes the rain and sun to be on the Just and unjust in this life. Enjoy it while you can. What matters is what happens after we die. Jesus said as much also.

I like Psalm 37. Give it a read.
Yeah, I am quite familiar with it. But, as with so many things, not all Christians believe the same things. I was specifically addressing those who believe that god blesses his followers in this life and curses in this life those who reject him.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:08 AM

15,490 posts, read 11,155,785 times
Might as well through in My Muslim view. We believe Allaah(swt) is all just and fair. all people will be rewarded for their good, even non-believers. but for non-Believers their reward will be here on earth or get them a lesser punishment in the hellfire.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:14 AM

29,462 posts, read 28,626,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Might as well through in My Muslim view. We believe Allaah(swt) is all just and fair. all people will be rewarded for their good, even non-believers. but for non-Believers their reward will be here on earth or get them a lesser punishment in the hellfire.
LOL, you mean there are degrees of hellfire? Would that be in Celsius or Fahrenheit? So now you admit that Muslims think unbelievers are damned, huh?

Old 06-01-2011, 01:29 AM

15,490 posts, read 11,155,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
LOL, you mean there are degrees of hellfire? Would that be in Celsius or Fahrenheit? So now you admit that Muslims think unbelievers are damned, huh?
Yes to both. But I do not know who is truly an unbeliever. Neither does anybody else. that is between Allaah(swt) and the individual. I may think a person is an unbeliever and they may even think they are an unbeliever. But if that person is making a sincere effort to believe in Allaah(swt) and honestly can not have faith, Allaah(swt) will judge them on their intentions and take their inability to accept into consideration

Yes we do believe there are separate levels of hell, the highest level does not seem to be much different from earth and the deepest level is infinetly horrible.W also believe that the only fully unforgivable sin is the sin of shirk. That is worsiping anybody else along with Allaah(swt). We also believe some people will eventually be released from hell after a fair punishment is passed..

We do sometimes seem harder on Christians, Jews and Sabians. That is because we get angry over the fact they once had the true path to heaven and tossed it aside. they are so close to being Muslim it is frustrating, even infuriating.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:47 AM

29,462 posts, read 28,626,451 times
How on earth can you say that Christians and Jews tossed the "true path" away, since their religion preceded yours...Islam is just plagiarized from these preceding religions by Mohamed, who knew a good deal when he saw it...It worked and gained him power and prestige.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:54 AM

1,811 posts, read 827,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post

What do you believers think? Shouldn't there be a difference in this life between those who embrace and follow god and those who reject or deny him?
Why would anyone embrace and follow a non-existant, mythological, evil (supposedly created a whole heck of a lot of diseases), wrath-filled, make-believe diety. There is no "him" to reject, deny, accept or follow.

Just the over-active imaginations of a bunch of cowards too craven to face their own mortality, and must, therefore, create a "life after death", along with its support apparatus (relgion and gods).

I offer, that you should really find a pair of stones, accept the fact that you are born, you live, and then you die, and that when you die, that is the end of you in any and all manners, ways, shapes and/or formss.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
Why would anyone embrace and follow a non-existant, mythological, evil (supposedly created a whole heck of a lot of diseases), wrath-filled, make-believe diety. There is no "him" to reject, deny, accept or follow.

Just the over-active imaginations of a bunch of cowards too craven to face their own mortality, and must, therefore, create a "life after death", along with its support apparatus (relgion and gods).

I offer, that you should really find a pair of stones, accept the fact that you are born, you live, and then you die, and that when you die, that is the end of you in any and all manners, ways, shapes and/or formss.
Hey, Jeffington, I'm an atheist like you, and like you I don't believe in an afterlife. But, I haven't forgotten how to talk to believers in their own language, and I feel no need to put believers down in every post as you do. I occasionally get a little arrogant with them, but usually it is when they get arrogant with me first.

They will never come around by insulting them all the time. I am simply giving them something to think about from their worldview, perhaps pointing out a crack or two in the facade. This particular post really only reveals a flaw in the prosperity gospel, which so far, none of the posters in this thread believe in anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality