U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 07:21 PM

20,998 posts, read 28,160,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
I a literal non-spiritual question and you provided me with a spiritual answer. Therefore, since I asked a literal or non-spirictual question the corresponding literal (non-spiritual) answer would have been a simple: No.
How can you say asking a question about Biblical things is non spiritual You asked a question and I gave you the answer, you the should read the post by noland above, he is correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 07:23 PM

5,453 posts, read 6,851,180 times
Therefore, since I asked a literal or non-spirictual question the corresponding literal (non-spiritual) answer would have been a simple: No.[/quote]

Your question did not state "non-spirictual", therefore you opened up the thread to any type of answer.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:27 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,117,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
ILNC gave you exactly the right answer. You need to look up the word inspired up in your dictionary and need to know about the Trinity(Father,Son and Holy Ghost).God and Jesus are the same person and the Holy Spirit is that which dwells within us as believers. Non-believers will not understand this concept..
I am fully aware of the meaning of the word "inspired" and equally aware of the Trinity. My point was that I did not recall reading or seeing anywhere in the Bible where Jesus himself referred to the New Testament or the writing of the New Testament as being inspired, neither had I recalled seeing it written in the Bible where Jesus himself directed or commanded the diciples to write a New Testament. So, please tell me where in the Bible Jesus himself made such statements in plain english.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:30 PM

103 posts, read 61,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
2 Timothy 3:16 says ALL scripture is the inspired word of God. And Jesus is God.
So, because some man (Paul) wrote that, that makes it true?

How long was it after Jesus' death that that was written?

Old 08-05-2007, 08:23 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,910,168 times
If I am understanding correctly, the question being asked is, whether or or not Jesus, personally, directed his followers to write down his words and his life story. Taking this question literally, as Dorado intended, I would have to say, that I can't think of anywhere in the Gospels where Jesus does, indeed, tell his disciples to do just that. In the literal sense, of course. I'm not being facetious, but can anyone point out a verse where he specifically tells his followers to write down everything, that we now read in the Gospels? It doesn't take anything away from the story of Jesus, whethere or not he did tell them to write things down, but I actually found Dorado's question interesting.

Insofar as the Bible being discussed in a non-spiritual context, I would have to argue that yes, indeed, it can be discussed in such a way, when one considers the historical context, or in an archaeological sense, neither of which have anything to do with the spiritual.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:14 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,117,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
If I am understanding correctly, the question being asked is, whether or or not Jesus, personally, directed his followers to write down his words and his life story. Taking this question literally, as Dorado intended, I would have to say, that I can't think of anywhere in the Gospels where Jesus does, indeed, tell his disciples to do just that. In the literal sense, of course. I'm not being facetious, but can anyone point out a verse where he specifically tells his followers to write down everything, that we now read in the Gospels? It doesn't take anything away from the story of Jesus, whethere or not he did tell them to write things down, but I actually found Dorado's question interesting.

Insofar as the Bible being discussed in a non-spiritual context, I would have to argue that yes, indeed, it can be discussed in such a way, when one considers the historical context, or in an archaeological sense, neither of which have anything to do with the spiritual.
CelticLady, you nailed it. Thanks for the precise clarification of the OP. Hopefully, this topic can now be discussed in the context in which it was orginally intended.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:40 PM

3 posts, read 6,608 times
But did Jesus ever actually direct his follows to write the New Testament or write down his words? Did Jesus have any inclination that these New Testaments were even being written about his life?
Yes, he did, if only indirectly. Jesus taught that the teachings of the disciples would be his teaching (John 13:20). It was part of the tradition of the Jews (and Jesus was fully in accord with this tradition) that the Word of God should be written, and studied. Christ said that the story of the woman's love for him in breaking the expensive perfume over his feet right before his death would be told throughout the world as a memorial. Similarly, he said that the gospel, the story of his life and work, would be proclaimed to all ethnic groups before he returned. Telling the story of his life--the four Gospels--is part of that proclaiming. Jesus particularly chose the disciples to be his witnesses, to be with him for the duration of his ministry, to witness his miracles and hear all his teaching. He said that the Holy Spirit would bring to their memories all his teachings (John 14:26).
John was specifically told to write down the Book of Revelation (Rev. 1:11).

Old 08-05-2007, 10:54 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,080,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
How can you say asking a question about Biblical things is non spiritual You asked a question and I gave you the answer, you the should read the post by noland above, he is correct.
You are not getting the point, North. He does not want scripture. He wants a straight yes or no answer. Does it state anywhere in the Bible that Christ authorized the New Testament. The answer is no. The truth is that there is no passage in the Bible that specifically states that Christ made any such authorization. It is inferred through scripture that it is in fact authorized by God, but there is no direct statement to that effect.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,608 times
I did not recall reading or seeing anywhere in the Bible where Jesus himself referred to the New Testament or the writing of the New Testament as being inspired.
Jesus clearly taught that his words were God's words and on par with Scripture. He demonstrated the unique ability to re-interpret Scripture in light of God's original intent (See Matt 5:22, for example). He said, Amen (It is true) to his own sayings, whereas the rabbis waited to hear it from other teachers. He affirmed that he was the Light of the World, that he always spoke the truth. He said he only did the works that God directed him to do and he only made judgments and declarations on the basis of what he heard from God (John 8:38). By definition, everything Jesus said and did, is the inspired Word, "full of grace and truth", as John writes. The whole New Testament is about Christ (the Gospels--the life of Christ; Acts--the work of Christ's Spirit in the early church; the epistles--the significance of Christ's work in salvation and in the forming of the church; and it was written by his appointed and trained and Spirit-filled apostles.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:39 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,362,205 times
I think the Gospels and Revelations need to be separated out from the rest of the NT, which is essentially Pauls' works. Jesus would probably be turning over in His grave (if he had one) about that! Christianity began with Paul and is really vastly different than what Jesus preached. There is a whole school of thought about this (Pauline Christianity), don't want to get into it. But do think the Gospels themselves was a genuine attempt to "spread the Word and Work" as Jesus meant it to be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality