U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 11:19 AM

4,439 posts, read 7,957,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
As far as I know, He never said "Hey, that sounds great, write that down."

But He did show much value to the words He was saying, causing those that came after Him to see the value in recording His words for those that would follow.....(all emphasis mine)

For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God gives the Spirit without limit. John 3:34

So when the Samaritans came to him, they urged him to stay with them, and he stayed two days. And because of his words many more became believers. John 4:40-41

The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life. John 6:63

"You do not want to leave too, do you?" Jesus asked the Twelve.

Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God." John 6:67-69

"As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save it. There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day. For I did not speak of my own accord, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it. John 12:47-49

Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.

"All this I have spoken while still with you. John 14:23-25

If I had seen what the disciples saw. Been through what they had been through. After looking at all those verses, seeing the miracles and seeing my Risen King after His death, I wouldn't need to be told to write them down. I had already been told they were God's Words "These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me"
If I had seen what the disciples saw I would wonder what would have taken me so long to write down what I saw.. Just weird I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 11:21 AM

7,780 posts, read 13,066,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Just weird I guess.
.....or part of a large divine plan that is bigger than any of our reasoning......

Old 10-08-2007, 11:21 AM

1,372 posts, read 4,700,565 times
Alpha ...you always come to my rescue

Old 10-08-2007, 11:22 AM

7,776 posts, read 10,272,854 times
Default Ah....!?

Quote:

"These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me"

--Sort of like hearing the music....???

Old 10-08-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Quote:
These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.
--Sort of like hearing the music....???
Ah HA!

Exactly my dear friend, EXACTLY!

Old 10-08-2007, 11:32 AM

2,057 posts, read 4,239,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoEric View Post
Are you assuming that the answer is 'no' because no one here has offered support to the contrary or did you know the answer before asking the question?

Eric
No, it was not my assumption that the answer was "no". I asked the question based on my recollection of never reading in the bible where Jesus directed his followers to write his words down in a book. Being fully aware that I may have been wrong, I posed the question to others who may have possibly read such a passage, that I may have missed.

My final point is...if Jesus did not direct his diciples to write his words, then the words of Jesus in the New Testament were "unauthorized" and therefore, the New Testament is "unauthorized".

Old 10-08-2007, 11:35 AM

1,372 posts, read 4,700,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
If I had seen what the disciples saw I would wonder what would have taken me so long to write down what I saw.. Just weird I guess.
well.... if you didn't know how to write and the only person who did was out to kill you for what you wanted to write......I think you might hold off for a while

I'm just sayin...

Old 10-08-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
My final point is...if Jesus did not direct his diciples to write his words, then the words of Jesus in the New Testament were "unauthorized" and therefore, the New Testament is "unauthorized".
That's an interesting perspective. I hope it works out for you.

If God gave instructions in the Old Testament to write down all the words He gave, and Jesus said "These words are from God", then what part of this equation are you having a hard time grasping?

God says in Jeremiah 30:2 ""This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: 'Write in a book all the words I have spoken to you." and in Exodus "Then the LORD said to Moses, "Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.""

Then, as quoted above, Jesus says "These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me."

So, if God says "Write down my words", and Jesus says "My words are God's words", just how much more 'authorization' do you need?

Old 10-08-2007, 11:53 AM

7,776 posts, read 10,272,854 times
Quote:
Ah HA!

Exactly my dear friend, EXACTLY!
Ah.....

Sometimes even June can "make connections" irrespective of how loud, (or nearly silent) the music is....

Take gentle care.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:55 AM

2,955 posts, read 6,545,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
God and Jesus are the same person and the Holy Spirit is that which dwells within us as believers. Non-believers will not understand this concept.
Not true.
I completely understand the concept - it was taught to me thoroughly (by believers).
I just don't believe that it is the truth. There is a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or